New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Hello HotRod, thanks for the update, as usual it's really appreciated. The calculator from number one is very nifty and useful, comes just in time for preparation for my nicotine stockpiling (and I'm sure that of many others)!

Does number 7 mean that the flavours will be reduced accordingly from the inventory as well?
The create flavor base, prior to the update, would allow you to create a recipe that is used like any other recipe but for the purpose of pre-mixing your flavors into one ingredient. It would also allow you to create the ingredient that you would use in other recipes. Once the recipe and ingredient was created there was no connection between the two items. When you mixed the recipe you would have to go in an update the inventory of the ingredient reflecting the amount that you just made.
With the update the calculator will allow you to associate the created recipe with the created ingredient. When you mix the recipe and tell the calculator to adjust the inventory ("Make recipe" or "Adjust inventory" buttons), the inventory of the associated flavor base ingredient will be adjusted along with the ingredients in the recipe that you are making.
Assume that your flavor base recipe has 3 ingredients: Flavor1, Flavor2, Flavor3 and assume that the flavor base recipe is associated with the "FlavorBaseIngredient". When you "Make recipe" the inventory for Flavor1, Flavor2 and Flavor3 ingredients will be reduced by the appropriate amounts and the inventory for "FlavorBaseIngredient" will be increased by the "Amount o make" in the flavor base recipe.
Also as suggestion (since the information on the website is outdated anyway), would you mind packaging the setup like this:

View attachment 624271
Simply the name of the package and setup file accordingly contain the current numeric version of the calculator, and the changelog text file contains 1:1 the changelog you post here on the forums.
I have been negligent in keeping the website current as far as notes about the current version. I am a beginner at website construction and have been avoiding changes. Currently I have an automated process that I use to deploy new versions and make those versions available on the website hence the reason I just called it "Setup.zip", "Readme.Txt", etc... Let me spend some time trying to make the website contain a little more accurate information about the current version.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
If I understand what you are asking, would it be easier to seperate your recipes into different juice files. Then if you want to compare between the 2(+) files you could open another calc window and compare side by side. I have been doing this for nearly a year. Works great!
I do something very similar. When I am ready to move a trial recipe from my trail juice file into my permanent juice file I use the "File Maintenance" utility that is installed with the calculator. This utility will allow you to drag/drop recipes or ingredients from one juice file into another juice file.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
I have run into a minor problem when printing a full page of Avery labels. If I print a full page of labels with all label lines used, the printing is covering 2 labels because the define label size is rounding off measurements. For instance 0.606 becomes 0.67 and it will cause printing on more than 1 label as the lower labels are printed out. I can work around it by printing fewer lines but at a cost of less info. Other than that I am finding this app invaluable.

Im not entirely sure how to search just this thread, otherwise I would have done that.

My question/problem is this. I have attempted to update this program everytime I get an update notice, but it always reverts back to the original version. Occasionally, it will update to the newest version but as soon as the program restarts, its reverts back again. I have tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling. Running as admin, installing as admin. I do not install on C:, this drive is reserved for OS only. Not sure what I am missing.

Edit: I attempted another reinstall. I uninstalled using CCleaner, did a registry clean after the fact. Deleted the EJuice folder on D:. Went into the C: to see if a folder existed there, none found. Deleted recycle bin. Reinstalled with latest setup, as admin. D:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice folder was created with only two items inside. CustomReportsSamples and ReportGeneratorInstructions. Thought that was odd, I had specified during installation that I wanted the program to install to "D:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice". Went onto C:/ and guess what I found? C:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice, with the latest version installed within.

This is an issue. My C:/ is fairly tight for space as it is. If I specify a program to install to a certain location, it should do so. Not decide, on its own, where it wants to go. How do I fix this?

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Im not entirely sure how to search just this thread, otherwise I would have done that......

ptkejSq.png

Can't help with your question so I will let @HotRod19579 reply but you may end up having to update manually by downloading the new version and choosing your custom install path each time during the install process. My guess is the auto update can't detect your custom install path. I personally let all programs install to their default path since my SSD has plenty of space but the actual personal files (in this case the juice files and backups) get saved to a separate HDD drive in my \dropbox folder (and get's backed up daily to my NAS) so I have 2 local copies that are not on my OS drive and a copy in the cloud.

Reactions: IDJoel
ptkejSq.png

Can't help with your question so I will let @HotRod19579 reply but you may end up having to update manually by downloading the new version and choosing your custom install path each time during the install process. My guess is the auto update can't detect your custom install path. I personally let all programs install to their default path since my SSD has plenty of space but the actual personal files (in this case the juice files and backups) get saved to a separate HDD drive in my \dropbox folder (and get's backed up daily to my NAS) so I have 2 local copies that are not on my OS drive and a copy in the cloud.

Thank you. Am new to this page, a bit frustrated, ADHD as all hell, and in a bit of a rush.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I have run into a minor problem when printing a full page of Avery labels. If I print a full page of labels with all label lines used, the printing is covering 2 labels because the define label size is rounding off measurements. For instance 0.606 becomes 0.67 and it will cause printing on more than 1 label as the lower labels are printed out. I can work around it by printing fewer lines but at a cost of less info. Other than that I am finding this app invaluable.
Actually, all of the values stored and used by the calculator have several decimal places. The fields, when displayed, only show 2 decimal places. So, if you enter a value of 0.606 as a value, that is the actual value that is being used. It is just a display issue.
The label dimensions are a beast. I preloaded the calculator with measurements that I found on the web and there is/was no way for me to test the dimensions of all of the labels. You might try updating the dimensions and enter the value such as "0.606", it will be used.
Give it a try and see if you can get it corrected. If you find more accurate values let me know and I will change my values in the calculator. If you want to look at the actual values being used by the calculator and feel a bit brave; look in the directory: "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\JuiceCalculator\LabelSheetDefinitions.xml".
If you are using the portable installation of the calculator look in the subdirectory "Data" of where you have the calculator installed for a file named "LabelSheetDefinitions.xml".
Note; I can/will update the program so that it will show more decimal places on the label definitions window.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Im not entirely sure how to search just this thread, otherwise I would have done that.

My question/problem is this. I have attempted to update this program everytime I get an update notice, but it always reverts back to the original version. Occasionally, it will update to the newest version but as soon as the program restarts, its reverts back again. I have tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling. Running as admin, installing as admin. I do not install on C:, this drive is reserved for OS only. Not sure what I am missing.

Edit: I attempted another reinstall. I uninstalled using CCleaner, did a registry clean after the fact. Deleted the EJuice folder on D:. Went into the C: to see if a folder existed there, none found. Deleted recycle bin. Reinstalled with latest setup, as admin. D:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice folder was created with only two items inside. CustomReportsSamples and ReportGeneratorInstructions. Thought that was odd, I had specified during installation that I wanted the program to install to "D:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice". Went onto C:/ and guess what I found? C:/Program Files (x86)/Ejuice, with the latest version installed within.

This is an issue. My C:/ is fairly tight for space as it is. If I specify a program to install to a certain location, it should do so. Not decide, on its own, where it wants to go. How do I fix this?
I will need to investigate this to see what is going on. I will uninstall the calculator on my machine and install on my Drive D so that I can see what is happening.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
on a separate subject, is there a way to get a report or display listing all ingredients and how many times each ingredient is called for?
There is currently no report that will tell you how many times all ingredients are used. Let me look into it.
You can find out how many times a specific ingredient is used a couple of different ways.

1. Go to the "Edit->Search for recipes" window. Select the specific ingredient in the "Ingredients to search for", click the "Search" button. It will show you all of the recipes that contain that ingredient.

2. Go to the "Ingredients" window and select the ingredient. You will see a dropdown list showing you all of the recipes that it is used in.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas

I did some testing and must have installed/uninstalled about 50 times. I see the problem you are having.
Keeping a long story short, to accomplish what you are trying to do, install to other than the default directory, you will need to download and use the portable version of the calculator. The standard version of the program allows you to install using the Windows default installation folder. The PortableSetup will allow you to specify where you want the calculator installed, in your case drive D.
To install the PortableSetup and migrate all of your existing data follow these steps:

1. Know where you current Juice file is stored. You can make a backup copy by doing a "File->Save as" and remember where you are saving the file.

2. Close the calculator and download and install the PortableSetup. During the installation make sure to change the installation directory to Drive D. For example, change the installation directory to D:\JuiceCalculator.

3. After it installs close the calculator and copy all of the files in "C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\JuiceCalculator\" to "D:\JuiceCalculator\Data\" (Assuming you installed to D:\JuiceCalculator). This step is optional, the advantage is that it will copy all of your settings and other changes that you might have made in the calculator.

4. Launch the "Portable JuiceCalculator" and open your juice file (from step 1). You should be back in business.

5. At this point you may want to uninstall the standard version of the calculator. Go to the "Control Panel", "Programs and Features", select "EJuiceCalculator" and Uninstall. Don't select "EJuiceCalculator Portable".

One last note. I am going to update the installation process of the standard version of the calculator to not prompt for an installation directory. As I have just learned, it accomplishes nothing if you change the install directory.

Polar79

Dec 31, 2016
@HotRod19579
Thank you so much for the hard work towards this calculator. We just had a poll on a local forum in South Africa and 46% of DIYers use JuiceCalculator! To me its an all in one solution, I manage my inventory, costs, steeping times and basically everything to do with DIY.

There is some ideas about small features I think might be useful if you would like to give it some consideration.
  1. On the recipe page, say next to the 'Remove ingredient' button it would be very useful to have an info button that when hovered over opened a popup with the "ingredient notes". This would help greatly when building our own recipes and searching for that perfect ingredient to have quick access to our notes on the ingredient.
  2. This one could probably cover in the first idea - In the 'Ingredients - Add or update ingredient' It might be useful to set custom warnings like "Known to crack tanks; Contains Diketones" and then add them to the 'Warnings and Errors' info box or as stated earlier to the idea #1 field.
  3. Then 'Purchase date' In the 'Ingredients - Add or update ingredient' could it be made to assume "today" and if not then be editable?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
@HotRod19579
Thank you so much for the hard work towards this calculator. We just had a poll on a local forum in South Africa and 46% of DIYers use JuiceCalculator! To me its an all in one solution, I manage my inventory, costs, steeping times and basically everything to do with DIY.

There is some ideas about small features I think might be useful if you would like to give it some consideration.
  1. On the recipe page, say next to the 'Remove ingredient' button it would be very useful to have an info button that when hovered over opened a popup with the "ingredient notes". This would help greatly when building our own recipes and searching for that perfect ingredient to have quick access to our notes on the ingredient.
  2. This one could probably cover in the first idea - In the 'Ingredients - Add or update ingredient' It might be useful to set custom warnings like "Known to crack tanks; Contains Diketones" and then add them to the 'Warnings and Errors' info box or as stated earlier to the idea #1 field.
  3. Then 'Purchase date' In the 'Ingredients - Add or update ingredient' could it be made to assume "today" and if not then be editable?

Happy to hear there are a lot of users. The suggestions you provided are good ideas. Let me see what I can come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
@HotRod19579

Item 1 - I made a change that will be available in the next version. Any ingredients that have notes associated with them will show a small information icon after the remove button. If you hover your mouse over the icon the notes will display.

Item 2 - I'm not sure how to tackle this one. Not all notes entered will be warnings and you wouldn't want all notes displayed in the warning area. I am not sure how to allow for the ability to add warnings to associate with an ingredient.

Item 3 - I'm not to sure about this change. You might go into an ingredient to make other changes and I don't think you would want the purchase date to change. I did make a change that might help. You will be able to enter a "T" in the date field and when you leave the field today's date will be provided. There are also some other shortcuts that you could use
T = Today
Y = Yesterday
"T-nnn" = Today's date minus nnn days
LW = Last week, today's date minus 7 days.
LM = Last month, today's date minus 1 month.
I also made this change for the last made date on the recipe window.

Polar79

Dec 31, 2016
You're simply amazing!

In particular new mixers will find the "notes on ingredient" function useful.

I don't think item 2 is an issue, we can simply enter the warning in the top of our notes on that ingredient and will see this when checking our notes which does exactly what is required.

I see what you mean on the purchased date for an ingredient for Item 3. We do certainly need the date editable otherwise it could've been made to update the purchase date only when "Add to Inventory" was clicked. I think the short cuts is an eloquent solution and will work just fine.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 8.0.0.6 is available. Updates include:

1. When installing the standard version of the calculator, don't prompt for a new installation location. The prompt was misleading and for the most part accomplished nothing since Windows would still install in the Program Files directory. The portable installation is used for installing in different locations.

2. Ingredients on the recipe window that have notes associated with them will display an information icon. When the mouse is over the icon a tooltip will be displayed showing the notes.

3. Added a shortcut for entering the purchase date on the ingredient window (also the last made date on the recipe window).
You can enter the following values and when you leave the date field the date will be populated:
T = Today's date
Y = Yesterday's date
"T-nnn" where nnn is the number of days to subtract from today's date
LW = Last week (today minus 7 days)
LM = Last month (today minus 1 month)

4. This change was made to help new users. When a new juice file is created and there are no nicotine ingredients a new user may struggle figuring out how to add a new nicotine ingredient. If you have a juice file open with no nicotine ingredients and have created or selected a recipe, the nicotine ingredient will show a button on the recipe window allowing you to click it to create your first nicotine ingredient.

5. Updated the "Show instructional notes" help file with a post from Andre in the ecigsSA forum.

6. On the label definition window changed the number of decimal places displayed from 2 to 4.

7. Made a new field available for "Ingredient" type reports in the "Tools->Build/Generate custom report" window. You can now define a column with a value of {RecipeCount}. This will display how many recipes an ingredient is used in.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Nice update, only thing I (yeah there is always a critic) dislike it the size of the "info" icon (to say there are notes for the ingredient), I personally would like it to be about half the size that it currently is. Is there a way for a user (i.e. me) to change what icon is used for that?
I doubt you can edit it but I could be wrong. I agree smaller would be nicer but I am just glad to have the info on a popup as I use it for single/recipe mixing percentage suggestions so I would often have to open the ingredient itself to get that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread