New convert asks for insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcguru

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Oklahoma
I have recently been introduced to e-cigarettes. I currently use Green Smoke e-cigs and find them ..OK, about halfway through the cart the taste really dies. I have been pouring over many review and forum sites and have decided to try out a kit. Currently I think I am leaning towards the highly recommended eGo or the slightly less recommended, but eye catching LEO kits.

Yes, I have been a lurker for sometime, just trying to learn this new world I am about to plunge into. I have read a lot of the first buying guides, first e-cig guides, and the like here in the forums. I was hoping that some of you would be willing to answer a couple of questions regarding the models I have narrowed my search down to - especially from a user's, or former user's, perspective. I have read a lot of the reviews and forum discussions here, but I am mainly asking for a fresh look and a current one. Some of the forum threads are older and as I understand it the models are updated or upgraded often:

The eGo:
1. What would be the major differences between the make(?) of the eGo systems - DSE vs. JoyE, etc? Mainly functionality and durability for replacing parts. (The makes I reference are from www.iVape.net, a place I have been thinking of buying my products from - but I am still shopping around).
2. For beginners who will likely want something that is up-gradable would you recommended the eGo, eGo-C, or eGo-T? And any reasons you can give would be helpful. Still a little confused on the distinctions between them. I think it may be something I need to see in a shop.
3. I think I understand what a twist model is (a longer battery mod). Other than battery life, what would be the pros/cons of starting off with a twist mod?

The LEO:
1. How upgradable, interchangeable would you say it is? For reference, I was originally looking at the eCab vs LEO, but the eCab is fairly new, I think, and has few reviews (that I can understand) and the eCab is not as upgradable as the eGo so would be a tough choice.
2. How well does it 'roadtest' vs the eGo? Durability, battery life, leaks, etc over time.

My last requests, if you have time:
Anyone with thoughts on the eCab as a starter? I looks really appealing but as I mentioned the ability to upgrade seems lessened.

Any e-pipe smokers out there that are happy with the model they have? I haven't really read reviews on any of the e-pipes that have ended well.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
If the size of the e-cig doesn't matter to you I would skip the e-go's and go with a big battery mod. They don't cost a whole lot more and you end up with something that has changeable batteries that last all day. When the batteries die and they all do eventually you don't have to toss out the mod just buy new batteries. When an Ego battery does, well that's it. You have to buy a new e-go.

They cost a little more up front but it's worth it. This place has great prices. But it always helps to shop around.

DiscountVapers - Your source for savings on electronic cigarettes and accessories, Go-go eGo, vGo

Dishevel

Aug 23, 2012
Buena Park, CA
I try to stay away from the big battery mod till I am ready to pay for the Provari.
KR808 > Ego-C Twist > Provari > Every other toy on the market.
That is how I would go from analog to e cig today.
I know the KR808 is not great. But it is most like an analog. That helps in the beginning.
Ego-C twist gets you better battery like and lets you start buying 510 eq and allows you to start with VV.
Then stay there till you are sure and then spend the dough on the Provari. Seen many people step up with multiple big battery VV mods and end up with a Provari. Some like some of the stuff they went through to get to the Prvari and some do not.
I have never met someone though who regretted getting a Provari. Never.

Chronic Dripper

Aug 21, 2012
Mission BC
If you buy Ego you can't go wrong, ( Joye ) I'd get the twist right off the hop as it's a variable voltage battery so you can use a huge variety of attachments, carto's clearo's, dual coil atty's, tanks, drip tip. This way if you have Low Resistance atomizers you can turn the voltage down to 3.7 or 3.8, a 2.2 atty set it higher. You can play with the power to get the exact type of vape you like. Buy 2 of the 1000mAh so 1 is always ready ( charged ) while you're using the other one. My 1000mAh lasts me a day at work, I charge it when I get home and start using the other. I'm only charging 1 battery once a day. Hope this helps.

pcguru

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks for the quick reply Dishevel. I think you helped clear up a lot of questions I had that I didn't include in this post as a bonus, thanks.

So with something like an eGo C I don't have to choose to only use carts, cartos, or tanks? As in they are interchangeable so long as they are 510?

It makes sense but I guess I had been confused in thinking the eGo T was the only tank system, and the others were either carts or carto.

An AVA addie. Is that a type of drip tip?

ty again

dejavoodoo

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
denver
If you buy Ego you can't go wrong, ( Joye ) I'd get the twist right off the hop as it's a variable voltage battery so you can use a huge variety of attachments, carto's clearo's, dual coil atty's, tanks, drip tip. This way if you have Low Resistance atomizers you can turn the voltage down to 3.7 or 3.8, a 2.2 atty set it higher. You can play with the power to get the exact type of vape you like. Buy 2 of the 1000mAh so 1 is always ready ( charged ) while you're using the other one. My 1000mAh lasts me a day at work, I charge it when I get home and start using the other. I'm only charging 1 battery once a day. Hope this helps.

yeah, what he said :p

pcguru

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Oklahoma
OK. After much reading I think I am almost completely convinced to look for an eGo-C starter kit. I think I may have to wait on a 1000mAh twist due to the cost, especially if I want two. I have not found any twist starter kits that seem affordable.

Now I am on to try and navigate through vendors for the hardware and make some last decisions on e-liquid.

I did want to ask, how long do these starter kits usually last? Long term.

Thanks so much for all the info so far.

scuba4steve

Aug 27, 2012
NC
I've been at this for a few years now (recently decided to stop lurking here and sign up) ... have tried all sorts of mods, variable voltage, high-voltage... always seem to head straight back to the eGo-Twist. I've been dripping, but recently switched over to the Stardust and find it satisfactory enough to use when I can't drip (driving, etc) or when I just don't feel like dealing with it.

I still prefer dripping.

I personally stay away from the knockoffs (anything that looks like an eGo that isn't from JoyE) after having a terrible run of luck with the Riva ... went through 5 or 6 batteries in a month.

scuba4steve

Aug 27, 2012
NC
You can get the Twist in 900 mAh or 1000 mAh for about $25 each. You'll want at least one charging cable ($5) and a USB adapter (another $5) if you don't already have a pile of them from cellphones in a junk drawer. Grab two Stardusts at $5 each and you're done for about $70.

I've never found starter kits that were priced well or included everything I wanted...

pcguru

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Oklahoma
I have to say thanks for this advice, scuba4steve. I didn't think about parting out or a DIY starter kit. I emailed where I think I may buy my products from to make sure it would be doable and with their help I think I have settled on a starter.

I'm probably going with a JoyE eGo C twist batt (1000 mAh), a charger, a pass-through batt (haven't decided on mAh) with its own usb charger, probably a couple of Stardusts and a couple of LR clearomizers just to test out.

Now all that is left is to see if they will have a Labor Day sale that will help, and to settle on what type of juice I would like to start out with.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions and pointers. Looking forward to my purchase in a couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread