New guy needs some guidance please

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Overton

Apr 4, 2018
Hi everyone, I have been vaping for few years and am moving up to making own juice, just ordered supplies, ordered a Tesla 220w steampunk. I have a crown vic old model tank and am tired of buying coils and some burn up right away and some seem to last over a week. I am just so confused about where to start with tanks...i have tried to research about rda, rta, and rdta?
I use right now 0.5 ohm coils at about 35-40watts. I do not think i want RDA because I drive a lot and dont want to be trying to add fluid to tank all the time. So i guess RTA? And one that is not complicated to build. I am not sure what supplies i need, guage of wire and what material it is made out of, also building tools i would need.
Thanks all and i am glad to be here

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You should look into a bottom feeder or "squonk" mod if you are considering rebuilding your own coils. The convenience of a tank and the flavor/vapor of a RDA (dripper).

squonk-mod-pic.png

Concerning supplies and tools you'll need for rebuilding, look here:

If you choose an unregulated mech mod, you'll need to learn how to use an Ohm's Law calculator.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
RTAs are generally not complicated but are generally exacting to build if you don’t want them to dry hit or leak. They tend to have little margin for error in wick size and length. An RDTA is more forgiving that way but the juice resivoirs tend to be a lot smaller. Tempted to put you in an avacado though there may be something else even more appropriate. My personal RDTA is a pharoah25 which I really like but many others don’t. It has truth in advertising issues regarding how it can be built which I won’t bore you with.

An RTA is a fine choice as long as you’re willing to learn the peculiarities of wicking that particular atty. they’re all a bit different and you’ll probably have to rewick it several time before you get it where you want it. It’s a totally doable challenge though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You should look into a bottom feeder or "squonk" mod if you are considering rebuilding your own coils. The convenience of a tank and the flavor/vapor of a RDA (dripper).

squonk-mod-pic.png

Concerning supplies and tools you'll need for rebuilding, look here:

If you choose an unregulated mech mod, you'll need to learn how to use an Ohm's Law calculator.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

i agree but he’s already got a Tesla nano in the pipe so unless he wants two new mods that ship has sailed ftm

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i agree but he’s already got a Tesla nano in the pipe so unless he wants two new mods that ship has sailed ftm
You are correct. For some reason I thought he wanted an entire new setup. I think I got confused when he said he didn't want to add e-juice all of the time while driving on the road.

Always good to have a backup setup, though! ;)

David Overton

Apr 4, 2018
Awesome. Sounds like RDTA will be my direction. Are they difficult to refill? I only vape at 35w so probably wont use much juice. So finding the simple tank is start, then it will be on to what the proper materials to build with? I just found the rebuilder forum so i have posted questions there also.. I just couldnt resist the looks of the Tesla. Maybe sqounker will be next..but if i can get a tank and do a successful build i will be so happy

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Only RTA I've used successfully was a Kayfun Plus. It was not easy to fill (required using a needle & syringe) and there was a learning curve in learning to wick it properly. It was a great "flavor" mouth-to-lung tank.

I've heard very good things about the Kayfun Prime, may want to check it out. The authentic version is admittedly expensive, but I'm sure there are good clones out that will be 1/3 of the cost of the original.

Authentic Kayfun Prime review:

Kayfun Prime clone reviews:

Edit: For just $20, I just might purchase a clone myself. :)

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Awesome. Sounds like RDTA will be my direction. Are they difficult to refill? I only vape at 35w so probably wont use much juice. So finding the simple tank is start, then it will be on to what the proper materials to build with? I just found the rebuilder forum so i have posted questions there also.. I just couldnt resist the looks of the Tesla. Maybe sqounker will be next..but if i can get a tank and do a successful build i will be so happy
As far as materials and tools, i started out with a coilmaster kit that had all the tools you will need and some wire, cotton, and a coil jig. And ohm meter also a necessity.. Was an easy start.

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
e38a2927fb.png.500x500.png

:thumb:
Aromamizer plus
I avoided recommending the aromamizer plus because imho it both is even more tricky to wick than many RTAs and is bluntly enormous and would look silly on a Tesla nano. It is an awesome atty though and my personal favorite of what I’ve got.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It varies by model. The avacado requires a unicorn bottle or dropper but you generally get one or the other on most commercial juices so it’s not really a factor. You have to put juice through a hole the size of a small pea. Much better than early RTAs and many pod mods though that require a syringe

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I avoided recommending the aromamizer plus because imho it both is even more tricky to wick than many RTAs and is bluntly enormous and would look silly on a Tesla nano. It is an awesome atty though and my personal favorite of what I’ve got.
Totally agree, this is not a beginner atty lol. It is nice though :)

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
for ease of build, a serpent smm is a great single coil atty. the aromamizer supreme with the single coil would be fine on the the nano as well. hell, if you can find them anymore, the OBS engine/engine nano would do you just fine. wicking on these with the single coil setups is pretty forgiving, the aromamizer with the velocity deck is a bit more demanding than its single coil deck.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
for ease of build, a serpent smm is a great single coil atty. the aromamizer supreme with the single coil would be fine on the the nano as well. hell, if you can find them anymore, the OBS engine/engine nano would do you just fine. wicking on these with the single coil setups is pretty forgiving, the aromamizer with the velocity deck is a bit more demanding than its single coil deck.
It’s not the deck posts that are the issue with the aromamizer, it’s the juice flow and wicking system. It’s..different from other attys. It’s got a double vacuum wick seal that is awesome for leak reduction but as a result needs to seal at two points instead of one. Getting it to work right takes extra finagling. Also the thing still looks silly on a Tesla nano.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I suggest that you start with something cheap with proven performance. The latest and greatest often turn out to only appeal to a small group with specific taste. Clones are a good way to experiment without being too expensive as well. To be more specific the Avocado by Geekvape AVOCADO 24 RTA by GEEKVAPE – VAPEHAPPY
It's available from many suppliers. I believe that it's available in both 22mm and 24mm size. The 2 post design is about the easiest format to build on. They provide a chamber reducer that allows for single coil builds without sacrificing flavor. If you plan on using the full capacity of a 220w mod. the Avocado will be lacking. In that case a VV Pyro would be better suited. Pyro RDTA by Vandy Vape – VAPEHAPPY Either should be a solid choice as a starting point depending on how much power that you use. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawt

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
It’s not the deck posts that are the issue with the aromamizer, it’s the juice flow and wicking system. It’s..different from other attys. It’s got a double vacuum wick seal that is awesome for leak reduction but as a result needs to seal at two points instead of one. Getting it to work right takes extra finagling. Also the thing still looks silly on a Tesla nano.
true, but the single coil deck is very much like the pharroh, wicking wise at least, good screw terminals vs clamps for wire. and hes getting the 220 punk, which should handle 25's like a champ.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
true, but the single coil deck is very much like the pharroh, wicking wise at least, good screw terminals vs clamps for wire. and hes getting the 220 punk, which should handle 25's like a champ.
Argh. Aromamizer NOT plus. Heh. I was assuming it had to do with the below aromamizer plus discussion. Nvm lol

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone, I have been vaping for few years and am moving up to making own juice, just ordered supplies, ordered a Tesla 220w steampunk. I have a crown vic old model tank and am tired of buying coils and some burn up right away and some seem to last over a week. I am just so confused about where to start with tanks...i have tried to research about rda, rta, and rdta?
I use right now 0.5 ohm coils at about 35-40watts. I do not think i want RDA because I drive a lot and dont want to be trying to add fluid to tank all the time. So i guess RTA? And one that is not complicated to build. I am not sure what supplies i need, guage of wire and what material it is made out of, also building tools i would need.
Thanks all and i am glad to be here
Welcome and glad you joined.
Looks like you have a lot of reading to do. Might want to ask further questions after you get a little more knowledge under your belt.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread