New guy with an odd question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
Howdy everyone, just joined so I could get some good info on the vaping hobby. I am a hobbyist when it comes to vaping as I stopped smoking years ago. My girlfriend smokes and I'm around smokers constantly at my job, so I thought this would be the best thing to keep me from picking it up again. I've been vaping for two or three weeks now, I had no idea what I was getting in to at first but I've done tons of reading and spent hours watching videos on the ol' YTube. I initially picked up a cheap starter kit called Bold Vapor and quickly upgraded the tank to a ProTank II, then added a Mini PT2 (because some acidic juice ruined the stock tank, thought it was glass... it wasn't) and now I've switched the battery to an iTaste VV V3.0 (looking at getting a mech soon).

Now for my odd question. I have the PT2 and a MPT2. I've rebuilt both units with 28g kanthal. One ended up being .7 ohms (I had no meter at first) and the iTaste won't fire this one. My old battery (the Bold) will and it works great on that. The two that do work on the iTaste are a .8 ohm horizontal micro coil and a 1.4 ohm vertical chimney micro coil. We're going to talk about the .8 ohm horizontal coil.

In the MPT2 this thing works great. I run it at 3.8v and I get huge flavor (vanilla custard juice, incredible) and tons of vapor. It immediately fires up and literally throws the vapor into my mouth. It's amazing. Now the coil heads for both tanks are identical, so you'd think that I could just put this head in the PT2 and vape away on it. It doesn't work that way. When I put the coil unit into the PT2 the vapor and flavor are greatly reduced, to the point that it really isn't even usable. It takes much longer for it to fire as well, still at the same 3.8v. I put it back in the MPT2 and everything is gravy again.

I'm a little confused as to why the coil doesn't work that well in the PT2. The tank assembly and everything related to it are in perfect working order, kept clean and basically brand new. It should just work but it doesn't.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
Wow those are pricey. I don't mind rebuilding at all, I actually have 100ft of 28g kanthal shipping out soon and rebuilding is definitely in the future for me. I see there are some much more affordable clones out there, any to stay away from? I'm really interested in the pipe mech mods, what I have my eye on is the Smoktech e-pipe or maybe the Kamry (Hammer if I could afford it). A black one with a black Kayfun looks like something I'd love to use.

Singaw

May 21, 2014
ComVal, Philippines
The kayfun in my opinion works best when upright and may not give satisfactory results in a pipe configuration. It would probably work fine when full but when nearing empty if one of the feed grooves is at the top, out of the fluid, and the other at the bottom in the fluid then the kayfun will flood. I have never tried a kayfun with a pipe mod and actually never tried a pipe mod so hopefully somebody else here can give you better information about this setup.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Ah that makes sense. Stinks that the airflow holes are at such an odd place on the PT2. They really aren't accessible for drilling out.

So what would be another good tank go get? As I said before I'm looking to get a mech as my next unit, and from what I've seen the Mini PT2 won't fit on most of those because of it's ego threading.
Hi, noob here. You could use a 510 to Ego/510 adapter. They are about $3-$4 bucks.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
The kayfun in my opinion works best when upright and may not give satisfactory results in a pipe configuration. It would probably work fine when full but when nearing empty if one of the feed grooves is at the top, out of the fluid, and the other at the bottom in the fluid then the kayfun will flood. I have never tried a kayfun with a pipe mod and actually never tried a pipe mod so hopefully somebody else here can give you better information about this setup.
Ah that's good to know.

Hi, noob here. You could use a 510 to Ego/510 adapter. They are about $3-$4 bucks.
Yeah I totally forgot about the adapters.

I've been messing around with this thing and it's just getting me more and more confused. Running with the airflow problem I remembered that I had trimmed down the silicone sleeve for the pin on the two heads that originally came with the PT2. At first I was getting very little air flow from one and the other was totally blocked. Trimming the sleeve (they tend to over compress) fixed both. So I did the same on the one with the coil I'm trying to use. Still didn't work.

Now here's something even more strange. I was checking the resistance with just the bases. The mini base with the coil gives me my .8 ohms, which is what the coil is. If I take the coil head out and put it in the PT2 base I get a reading of 0.0. So the base is shorting it out somehow. I've taken everything apart, looked over it and nothing seems amiss. I can unscrew it, tighten it down a few times and sometimes get my .8. Then I put the tank on it and it shorts out again, 0.0. Grr.

I think I'm just going to stick with my mini. The PT2 just has too many issues for daily use. Lack of airflow, constantly having to fix the gurgling and spitting, it just isn't worth it. The mini just works. Boom, done.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I have the HCigar hammer clone and the HCigar kayfun clone. I can only speak for the HCigar model as I don't know about the others but so far it's my favourite set up. Find some nice long bent drip tips and it's a fun mech pipe mod. I love mine :) for other pipe mods, you have two very good options.

Mythicalfabrications.com
Epipemods.com

Mythical fabrications are awesome and make custom pipes to your dreams. E pipe mods are known for there high quality mods and offer DNA 20 (and possibly DNA 30 mods) if you wanna try a regulated mod.

The kayfun has a learning curve when rebuilding it. Cotton is definitely the way to go and will be cheaper in the long run as opposed to ecowool or silica. You will have to change the cotton out more frequently though (every 3-5 days in my experience)

Hope this helped :) happy vaping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Yeah, shorts are hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

The mini just works. Boom, done.

IMO the mini would look better on an e-pipe mod than a full size RBA. I own a few PT3 minis, and really like them. They are dual coil but evidently all the Protanks can be rebuilt to whatever resistance desired.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
Thanks for the replies everyone. One more question without starting a new thread: Any vendor sites to stay away from? I know this is a relatively new industry and with the huge amounts of cloning and this company ripping off that company there have got to be some shady sites that people shouldn't order from. What about some recommended sites?

Main reason I ask is because I came across vaporbreak dot com, and that place has some seriously too good to be true prices. A couple sites that caught my eye, and looked much more legit, are 101vape and vaperoyalty.

Still looking for the mech that suits me. Found some Hammer clones that I think I can afford, also the Nemesis clone and the Kraken clone are things I'm looking at.

TheUsualSuspect

Verified Member
May 18, 2014
Peoria,IL, USA
I'm not sure about vaporbreak, but 101vape and vaperoyalty are legit. I would say be careful about some of the sites though. When I first started, I made five orders from five different vendors with a credit card that hadn't been used previously, as I had just received it. The very next day I had a call from the bank about potentially fraudulent charges. All five charges were there plus one order to a dress outlet in Hong Kong for $500, lol... I now have a paypal prepaid debit card. Just throwing that out there. There has been quite a few posts around here about fraud. I'm pretty sure that it isn't exactly the site, but the cc processor that the site uses.

I'm still waiting for my pretty dress..

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I second 101vapes. I use them solely for equipment now and they have never done me wrong. Always super quick delivery time. I hear fasttech is pretty good but have never used them due to they fact they ship from china so... 2-4 week delivery time. :D also ecf does a have a section for negative reviews, so you could always check that out too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldsmashbones

May 24, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have never tried a kayfun with a pipe mod and actually never tried a pipe mod so hopefully somebody else here can give you better information about this setup.

I don't have the smok e-pipe, and I think you're right about how well it'd work for that. But I do know the Hammer, and it's weight and heft make it an awesome mod to set on the table with the tank pointing upright. The things actually hard to knock over if you bump it. It would definitely be my all day mod for no-worries vaping.... except I get sick of the 'That looks like a ...' comments. I'm also half afraid I'll be pulled over and questioned/DUI tested by the police if they spot me with it driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread