Protanks vs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkD77

Feb 10, 2014
GA
I'm looking into taking a small step up from the Kanger T3S. I've been looking at and reading about the protanks some and have seen conflicting opinions here and there.

I'd like something as easy to use as the T3S, a little bigger. I read someone, maybe more than once, say they liked the PT mini 2 better than the PT2, but if I'm not mistaken, the mini is just ego threaded. I'd like something that will work with ego and transfer up to mods if/when I move up in that regard. I was considering a protank 3 or aerotank just to have the option of dual or single coil. But I think they might be warmer than I would like with the dual coil, and someone pointed out that they actually don't use PT2 coils well.(i.e. they fit but don't seal well) Then I read that you can separately buy the aerotank base for a PT2 and have a good fitting single coil with the same airflow control. One final consideration is that I'd like to try my hand at building coils sooner or later, and I know you can do a good micro coil with the PT2.

So assuming all the things I've gathered about these tanks is accurate, I'm thinking the PT2 is where to go. But being new to it, I know there are lots of different options besides Kanger. So I guess my question to those who have been around more: what, if any, are some other options of similar size, price, quality(or better?) that can be used either on ego or mods (510 threaded, right?), and allow for, but not require rebuilding? Just wondering if there might be another perfect fit for me that others might find more preferable.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
what, if any, are some other options of similar size, price, quality(or better?) that can be used either on ego or mods (510 threaded, right?), and allow for, but not require rebuilding?

I haven't found one yet, that's why I bought a PT2. ;)

But then I'm hardly a veteran either.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
I like the PTII more than I like the PT mini personally. I have tried to make sure I buy true Kanger coils because it appears that most people have issues with the knock offs but others have said Kanger has been hit and miss.

I have had none of these issues and have rotated four coils over 4 weeks with ZERO issue. The other day, I got the aero base for the PTII and using the PTII single coils and it is the best flavor I have found in a year of various different products. However, I will add the disclaimer that I don't want to move into the mods and have not tried one.

If I had a gripe, the PTI, PTII, PTIII and AT look funny on a regular battery and is top heavy. The PTII mini looks pretty slick on a Vision Spinner in Stainless

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
we were using a Kanger mt3s (I think) but wanted a glass tank (I like cinnamon) So I bought two aspire bdc's. Gives a great throat hit has a large glass tank and a adapter ring for the 510's. At first both my and my wifes worked great. both still work well, but she sounds like she's finishing a milkshake about half the time. It gurgles like crazy. I've pulled apart and cleaned it, made sure it was put together properly and put juice in, 10 minutes later she's back to the gurgle sounds. I think they're great my wife not so much

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The T3S and the Aspire CE5 are good small clearo tanks. The T3S may have the better flavor producing technology of most of my hardware, but it's long and wieldy in a pocket. Protank is a good fit for a coat pocket.

I just bought the Aspire Nautilus yesterday and I'm adjusting to it and learning about it. It's pretty straightforward, but it likes slightly thicker juices as opposed to 100%pg. I've added about 20% Humco VG to my juice lately. As with any tank, gurgling can occur unless the draw matches the juice feed. You can adjust the air draw on the Nautilus to match the juice you are using. Small hole = more vacuum and juice feed. The larger holes match up well with thinner juice and the smaller ones with thicker juice. The Nautilus is a cloud producer, even at 3.3v on a 1.6 ohm coil. It's uncanny how much vapor this thing produces and the flavor is about equal to the Evod T3S and Aspire CE5. 5ml capacity makes it a good tank for an all day vape.

Protank is my fallback and I've used it and the Protank II extensively over time. My baseline vape for a zero point comparison has always been a SmokTech mega carto. If it's that good, I'm happy.

JBal4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Kalamazoo, MI, United States
I really like my pt-mini, I have not use any of the fill size protanks tho. The vapor production is a lot better in the pt-mini than my t3s. also I have not had any flooding issues in the mini like i did in the t3s.
I also really like the mt3s, even though it is supposed to be the same as the t3s I think it hits differently.
Another option that I would say is worth giving a try is the EVOD. If size is really important to you then it wont work because it is 1.6mL. The evods are my second fav right after the pt-mini.

goodluck with your search:evil:

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For me it was important to go with glass. I have the PT2 with an air control base. It costs about the same as an aerotank but retains the single coil vs dual. I'd like to have a mini but the air base isn't available in that size and it made my PT2 go from just OK to superb.

Kanger ProTank Air Control Base

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
iClear30 on an Ego
dp1812N.jpg

PT2 on an Ego
P7SCVTe.jpg

EVOD on an Ego
lQYsAwL.jpg

I really enjoy my PT2's and I did not really care for the stock heads, so I learned to rebuild them and they work amazingly. The stock heads just would taste burnt at higher voltages. If you stay around 7 watts when you vape they will probably work fine. Just wanted to show you a few pictures of how they look on an ego battery..

5150Marley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
Shhhh its a secret. ;)
I have a bunch of mini Protank 2's and a few Protanks 2's and I like em.. I also have a Vivi-Nova and an iClear 30 that came with my MVP 2.0.. dont really care for the iClear or the Vivi-Nova. Havent tried any of the Aspires or the Davide's I want to get a few Aerotank bases and put em on my Protank 2's just need to find em.

we were using a Kanger mt3s (I think) but wanted a glass tank (I like cinnamon) So I bought two aspire bdc's. Gives a great throat hit has a large glass tank and a adapter ring for the 510's. At first both my and my wifes worked great. both still work well, but she sounds like she's finishing a milkshake about half the time. It gurgles like crazy. I've pulled apart and cleaned it, made sure it was put together properly and put juice in, 10 minutes later she's back to the gurgle sounds. I think they're great my wife not so much

Try changing the coil. My EVOD gurgled almost straight out of the box, but I had bought a new coil with it. When I swapped it out, the gurgling went away. A week later, it's still fine.

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
SmokTech Aro with Pyrex Glass- $7.89
The Smoktech ARO is a bottom coil Clearomizer with a glass tube.

The site has conflicting juice capacity descriptions. It says 3.5ml then when it has refilling instructions it says fill with about 2ml..

Either way its a pretty inexpensive option that has Pyrex Glass and is a bottom coil design and ego threaded. I may pick up one of these myself.

MarkD77

Feb 10, 2014
GA
Thanks a lot everyone for all the tips, and for the pics! Think I'm gonna go ahead for the P2, and maybe get a mini as well. I'd like the larger, but the smaller ones do look a little better on the pen-likes. Not the most important point, but I'm curious about the vaping difference between the two as well.

Being new I try to keep it in the green looking at voltage charts. And I read that PT2 is ~2.5Ohm, so I'll probably keep it a little under 7w at first. But I'm interested in rebuilding one, too. Some of these other ones look pretty nice as well, and I might try more of them as time goes on. On a limited budget, so that's the main reason for concern and weighing options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread