New here, need recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyTheFatty

Jan 29, 2018
everywhere
Hey everyone, for awhile now i have just been using a basic rechargeable 900mAh pen with the CE4 Clearomizer. I have been told multiple times its a basic/beginner vape, and i wish to explore better less-basic products.

Any recommendations for a suitable kit that isn't the current basic model i have?

Thanks in advance :)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
There are lots of inexpensive kits on the market that have much more flexibility than your set up. Depends on how you want to vape and how much you want to spend. The kits run the gamut from simple built in battery with tank to more flexible mods with removable batteries. Some of the simple kits you can't really easily change tanks with as they are designed to work together.

You are probably better off picking out an inexpensive mod and a tank that suits your needs. If you are used to drawing it into your mouth then inhaling look for a tank designed for Mouth to Lung vaping. If you are used to inhaling it directly as it vaporizes look for a tank designed for Direct Lung vaping.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The Eleaf Pico kit is decent and can be found pretty cheap. You would also need batteries and a charger for it though. If the tank it comes with doesn't suit you could change it easily with almost any other 510 pin tank.

iStick Pico Kit Firmware Upgradeable | EleafWorld
iStickPico-Kit_01.jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I'll go with Beam and the Pico. It's not a bad chunk of gear. If you're using a eGo/CE4, you're vaping MTL, so a good upgrade on the Pico would be a Nautilus tank. I also like to recommend the Kanger Topbox kit as it is very flexible. One of the big problems new vapers have is they have a lot of decisions to make all at one time: MTL/DL, power level, juice composition, flavor and nic content, etc etc. I like the Kanger because it will operate fairly well in a large number of different vape regimes, and that can be helpful to somebody trying to find their footing. It won't answer any questions, but it will obviate the problem of needing something your rig won't do.

You may not need this, though. You don't seem particularly dissatisfied with the vape your getting from your pen setup-- a lot of people like that, nothing unusual-- you just want better gear. If the low power regime you're getting from your pen is keeping you off the stinkies, then there's no reason not to save the money and go with the Pico. It's a decent piece of gear, if not super top drawer, and it'll work just fine where you are currently vaping.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
For really cheap but 3 or so week delivery time. There is this built in battery joyetech that comes with 3 different coils ranging from .25 ohm notch coil (DTL) .5 ohm ss coil (somewhere in between MTL and DTL) and a 1.5 ohm coil MTL. Costs about $20 shipped. Can only be used with the 5 ml tank it comes with though

Joyetech Cuboid Mini Full Kit

7.jpg

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF Matty. You could always order the Pico mod only and go with the Nautilus or the Kanger Toptank. If you want to stick with mtl try the Nautilus or the newer Zenith is getting some good feedback. If you want a more versatile tank to explore draw options try the Toptank. I would advise going with the Pico 25mm to keep your tank options open, it is an 85w device I believe.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

The Pico is very popular here.

If you don't want to buy batteries the Aspire Zelos with the Nautilus 2 kit is a good option.

The link below is to a site that's a good reference for vape gear just type in what you're looking for.

Vapecrawler

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, your set-up lacks...flexibility and the battery charge is probably limiting.

If it keeps you from smoking, GREAT! For me, vaping became a very broad hobby. Being a diabetic, I can't eat sweets, but I sure as heck can vape them. I just re-made some chocolate covered cherries juice today, and I think I finalized my raspberry glazed donuts recipe to go with my morning coffee.

Vaping is so much better than smoking.

Have fun!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'll fourth or fifth recommend the Pico. I would go with the Pico 25 rather than the pain Pico. It come with a tank as a kit. If you like the tank you're good. If not is easy to go with something like a previously mentioned Nautilus tank.

Do remember you'll have to buy a quality battery for it from manufacturers like Samsung and LG. I'd advise getting at least two so if one runs out you can swap in a freshly charged battery. And while you can charge in the mod, I'd strongly recommend an external charger at some point. They're not expensive but it's up to you and your budget if you want to wait a month or so to get one.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I briefly had a pico and am one of the few that wasn't too fond of it. With that said, tons of folks like them. I would recommend against getting the Melo III tank though, it's not very MTL (although it will accept some non-proprietary coils). I just found I wasn't getting great battery life out of it, although it is small, easy to use, and pretty reliable, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I have both a Zenith and a Nautilus 2 and a Ego Mega one with the Ccells, which are all good vapes. If I had to rate them, it would be:

Ego one Mega V2 with not the original coil, but the Ccell 1.0 MTL coil, great flavor
Zenith: Nice MTL vape, very reliable, the 1.6 coil lasts forever. It is 4 ml in size but vapes like a smaller tank. The 1.6 coils have a break in period of about two tanks, after that the flavor is excellent. I'm glad I got this tank. It can be fairly cloudy for me (not exactly sure why) but give great flavor. I haven't tried the 0.8 coil yet, wanting to find out coil life on the 1.6 coil. Better flavor than the N2, but not the ego one mega.
N2 is a great little tank, it's easy to use, but the capacity is the smallest, and I'd probably rank it third for flavor.
With that said, I'd recommend a Kabuki clone from FT if you are willing to wait a bit. It takes the Nautilus coils but turns them into flavor machines. It is bottom fill, but a fairly easy bottom fill. I'd recommend a clone first over the original to see how you like it as originals are pricey (to me, they are also noticeably better) but it's worth the investment in a clone first to see if this tank is for you. Instead of the hassle of refilling every 1.7 mls (about what you get if you are filling correctly) you will get about 3 ml instead with the kabuki.
Finally, I recommend the Njoy Elf tank which also takes N2 coils and is very similar in design but fixes many of the N2 problems: A true 2 ml tank, topfill but easier topfill, better airflow and flavor, it kind of fixes many of the N2 problems.
I started with N2s, and they are great, but I am primarily using different MTL tanks now, and my husband is starting vaping with my N2s.

You actually have some decent options. If you are interested (even in the future) in trying sub0hm vaping, it might be worthwhile to get an inexpensive 2 battery mod as you will have great battery life and also the ability to "move up" in vaping should you so desire. I'd probably recommend that over the pico, unless you want an internal battery mod, which is possible to obtain with one of the older pico models.

Best of luck, indeed there is a lot to choose from!

Anna

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@MattyTheFatty - It would help narrow down the recommendations for you, if we knew what style/type set-up you'd prefer.

Do you want to stick with a tube shaped mod...or do you want to try a box shaped one?

Do you want something with an internal non-replaceable battery, that you recharge using a USB charger...or do you want to buy/use batteries that are removable/replaceable that you charge using a separate charger?

As others have mentioned, too, how do you vape, or want to vape with a new set-up? (mouth to lung which is like most people smoked, or pull the vapor directly into your lungs, which is direct to lung) There are also others of us who pull the vapor into our mouth (and maybe a short distance down our throat), just hold it there for a second or 2, and then exhale it through our mouth and/or nose.

Also, do you have a price range or limit for what you'd like to spend?

Knowing the answers to the above can greatly narrow down what people may recommend.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just about any "adjustable" regulated mod that allows you to adjust your vapor to your personal taste will be a gamechanger for you. I never recommend an unregulated (mechanical) mod for novices.

Tank-wise, an Aspire Nautilus or Uwell Crown (original) would also be a gamechanger.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices. Includes tips on clearomizer tanks to avoid flooding or dry hit issues.
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Last edited:

Astralvape

Unresolved Status
Jan 29, 2018
Albacete
www.astralvape.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I am going to have to go with basically everybody else here and suggest the pico. I have had mine for quite a while and never had an issue. It is very well built and pocket friendly. Power goes from 1-75 watts so there is a lot of room to grow. There is a 26650 version and a new one that will fit 25mm tanks as well.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey everyone, for awhile now i have just been using a basic rechargeable 900mAh pen with the CE4 Clearomizer. I have been told multiple times its a basic/beginner vape, and i wish to explore better less-basic products.
Any recommendations for a suitable kit that isn't the current basic model i have?
Thanks in advance :)
Welcome and glad you joined.
Could check out the Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit.
Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit
Or if you want a bigger jump:
Eleaf istick 40 TC with a Tron-S, using the CLR coils, the EHpro Kayfun Lite V2, Kayfun V5, and the Kanger Subtank Mini with the RBA/purch option.
re: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/

maibol

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2017
I briefly had a pico and am one of the few that wasn't too fond of it. With that said, tons of folks like them. I would recommend against getting the Melo III tank though, it's not very MTL (although it will accept some non-proprietary coils). I just found I wasn't getting great battery life out of it, although it is small, easy to use, and pretty reliable, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I have both a Zenith and a Nautilus 2 and a Ego Mega one with the Ccells, which are all good vapes. If I had to rate them, it would be:

Ego one Mega V2 with not the original coil, but the Ccell 1.0 MTL coil, great flavor
Zenith: Nice MTL vape, very reliable, the 1.6 coil lasts forever. It is 4 ml in size but vapes like a smaller tank. The 1.6 coils have a break in period of about two tanks, after that the flavor is excellent. I'm glad I got this tank. It can be fairly cloudy for me (not exactly sure why) but give great flavor. I haven't tried the 0.8 coil yet, wanting to find out coil life on the 1.6 coil. Better flavor than the N2, but not the ego one mega.
N2 is a great little tank, it's easy to use, but the capacity is the smallest, and I'd probably rank it third for flavor.
With that said, I'd recommend a Kabuki clone from FT if you are willing to wait a bit. It takes the Nautilus coils but turns them into flavor machines. It is bottom fill, but a fairly easy bottom fill. I'd recommend a clone first over the original to see how you like it as originals are pricey (to me, they are also noticeably better) but it's worth the investment in a clone first to see if this tank is for you. Instead of the hassle of refilling every 1.7 mls (about what you get if you are filling correctly) you will get about 3 ml instead with the kabuki.
Finally, I recommend the Njoy Elf tank which also takes N2 coils and is very similar in design but fixes many of the N2 problems: A true 2 ml tank, topfill but easier topfill, better airflow and flavor, it kind of fixes many of the N2 problems.
I started with N2s, and they are great, but I am primarily using different MTL tanks now, and my husband is starting vaping with my N2s.

You actually have some decent options. If you are interested (even in the future) in trying sub0hm vaping, it might be worthwhile to get an inexpensive 2 battery mod as you will have great battery life and also the ability to "move up" in vaping should you so desire. I'd probably recommend that over the pico, unless you want an internal battery mod, which is possible to obtain with one of the older pico models.

Best of luck, indeed there is a lot to choose from!

Anna
where did you find those ego one mega ceramic coils i never heard about them before you can take my mega out of the dust [emoji23]

Sent from my X522 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread