New here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to the community and want to get into vaping in order to quit smoking, but also because it seems pretty cool how you can customise everything to fit your needs.

I wanted to buy the Target 75 VTC Starter Kit from Vaporesso because it has great reviews (but mainly because the white version looks like something a Stormtrooper would vape).

My concerns are:

1. The Sub-Ohm tank - I've read up on it and it's not suggested for newbies, because the lower the resistance - the higher the temperature which can be dangerous for the battery. I'm also not looking to become a cloud chaser. Would you recommend that I get an additional regural Tank for everyday use (if so could you please recommend a brand or a specific tank that would be compatible) and should I just stay clear of the Sub-Ohm domain for the time being?

2. The battery, because it says that the output must be at least 30A due to the Sub-Ohm tank. On some other forums I read that there technically no Batteries over 30A even though it's stated in the description. Using Sub-Ohm tanks also leads to overheating and shorter battery life. I was thinking of buying this one from Sony:

SONY US18650-VTC5 2600mAh 30A Li-ion Battery GENUINE FRESHEST UK STOCK (2): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I would be really thankful if you guys could help me out with some advice. :)

Reactions: BrotherBob

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
viannen_01.gif

Welcome to ECF!​

pJYvGY3.gif

When new members post links, they automatically get broken or removed by the system. It helps cut down on spam posts that may happen to get through the spam filter.

After you have a few posts under your belt, links that you then post will be available to click on. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I would be really thankful if you guys could help me out with some advice. :)

Welcome. :)

I see you are UK. Me too.

Sony VTC are top batteries, but there are others that are equally good/safe.

As for the Vaporesso, I can't see why it would not do higher resistance coils (can't find anything on that), but end of the day it is a sub-ohm tank intended for high power vaping.

I think you should try some different types of tanks/power/vaping before jumping in at the deep end. As a mod I think 'yeh, why not?' as a starter kit 'not so sure'...

Nobody ends up with just one mod and a tank or two, so you could start off with something a bit more normal :p and see how you get on.

Can you vape it a 15 watts MTL? Probably, I guess.
I just don't know, it's so far left field it's completely off my radar.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Incidentally, who's reviewed it? (That you've read)

The e-cig world is full of people filling their pockets with commission for recommending stuff. FOUR of the top 10 google reviews (UK) are affiliate/commission sites who would sell their granny for hard cash.

I'm not saying it's not a fantastic piece of kit, but we should all ignore these money-making sites when it comes to buying.
.. and last, but not least... NEVER trust them to send you (linky, linky, money, money) to the best prices. That requires an independent search and some detective work.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Incidentally, who's reviewed it? (That you've read)

The e-cig world is full of people filling their pockets with commission for recommending stuff. FOUR of the top 10 google reviews (UK) are affiliate/commission sites who would sell their granny for hard cash.

I'm not saying it's not a fantastic piece of kit, but we should all ignore these money-making sites when it comes to buying.
    .. and last, but not least... NEVER trust them to send you (linky, linky, money, money) to the best prices. That requires an independent search and some detective work.
    DJ, where do vapers buy good batteries in the UK?

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
    Berlin
    @djsvapour Thanks for the heads up! :)

I saw some youtube reviews from RIP Trippers, New Amsterdam and am currently watching one from VapnFagan. I just fell in love with the mod :D but I would also like to not think about it blowing up in my face.

I also saw some great batteries from Samsung and LG. It says on Vaporessos website that the minimum is 30A so I'm not quite sure if I have to be looking for higher amperage just cause of the Sub-Ohm Tank and if I can use a lower amperage battery if I stick on a normal tank?

sparky1354

May 17, 2013
    MO
    I'm no reviewer, and don't get any free stuff, but here's my two cents on the target. Don't waste your money. There are better values for mods and tanks. The target tank uses aspire Atlantis coils, so there are other options for coils if you do like the tank. Mine came with two coils. One Nickel and one Kanthal. The Kanthal coil was better, but only because the temp control on the mod is so bad. If you want to try the ceramic coils, try them on a mod with better temp control. You can squeeze the airflow down to MTL, but a nautilus does a much better job. It doesn't really have enough airflow for a good DL hit, but too much for a satisfactory MTL. I put mine up in my "what a mistake" drawer after a couple of weeks and moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
    Berlin
    Thank you for the advice! :)

I think I'm still gonna go ahead with the Kit and mix in with the local vaping community to see other peoples set ups.
    Regarding the Kanthal and Nickel coil I also read that people prefer running the Kanthal in wattage mode due to weak vape in temp mode.

Is it at all possible for the coils that come with the kit to go over 1.0 Ohm or are they strictly for Sub-Ohm? I kind of couldn't understand that of the description on Vaporessos website. They give a minimum of 0.15 Ohm, but on another website it says from 0.15 up to 3.0 Ohm.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    The ohm of the coil cannot be changed. If it is a 0.9Ω coil that is what it is. The only thing you can change is:
    • Power Mode -- you can change your wattage or voltage.
    • Temp Control Mode -- you can change your temperature and maybe your wattage/voltage which operates like an accelerator in TC mode.
    Kanthal coils can only be run in power mode.
    Nickel coils can only be run in TC mode.

The Sony VTC5 is a 20A CDR (continuous discharge rating) cell. It's a good cell it you are running at 50 watts and lower. Sony VTC5 2500mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 20A 2600mAh battery

The best way to determine how many amps you will be drawing (at minimum battery voltage when amp draw is the highest) is to use the maximum wattage you plan on vaping at and follow this guide.
    Check out some of @Mooch's other battery blog links.

Reactions: Mooch

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Is it at all possible for the coils that come with the kit to go over 1.0 Ohm or are they strictly for Sub-Ohm? I kind of couldn't understand that of the description on Vaporessos website. They give a minimum of 0.15 Ohm, but on another website it says from 0.15 up to 3.0 Ohm.

It I was a betting man, I would put every last £ on it firing coils sub-ohm and also all the ones 1.0ohm-3.0ohm then. :D

<3.0ohms would be about normal. It's a bit strange Vaporesso didn't think of advertising the fact.

As for the 30 amp business, I can't see the issue with 25 amp batteries unless you are deliberately trying to 'find' 30 amps somewhere in the maths.

Overall, as long as you can set it low and vape from 10w to 50w you can't go wrong with it as a mod.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Worst case, you can buy a nice little tootle tank and pretend it was all a bad dream. :oops:

(I *probably* wouldn't even try the included tank t.b.h. I vape 14 watts all day and then 20-30w at home with an RDA (or the occasional RTA) in the evenings).

I can't be doing with the 'race for power' that is taking over the vape industry.
    The expression 'starter kit' is not the same as a 'beginners' kit.
    More people selling or recommending kits ought to remember this just every now and again.

Incidentally, those reviews you have seen are 'safe' (although Mr Rip has blotted his record somewhat). What you need to beware of is the people who are happy not to have a job, get paid for doing sweet *deleted* and taking commission off the unwary.

As soon as the EU laws come into existence, they've had it. I look forward to them having to graft for a living. It's the only good bit of news.

Reactions: Svet

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    I really appreciate the help everyone! :)

So far I'm leaning towards buying the kit with the Sony VTC5 2600mAh battery and an extra normal tank to start with.

Make that 2 or 3 extra tanks. Come May you won't be allowed to buy them. Shops might get away with selling stock, but essentially tanks over 2ml become illegal.

Also, the EU is planning to tax mods at 57%. This will make a £40 iStick more than £100

and don't forget, sub-ohm drinks the liquid and liquid will be only available in 10ml at greatly increased prices.

It's a mess. You are getting into it very late... but plan ahead and you can catch the wave and ride it in time... I promise. :)

I have 3 mods on order which I don't even need. That's how much I trust the EU and our sympathetic MPs.

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
    Berlin
    Completely agree with you. You can notice in the first 5 minutes of the review exactly why they're doing it even though most or some of them started off with good intentions.

Regarding the new tax plans... Yeah, that is ******.

I also researched how to mix my own liquids and everything, but I will take your advice and stock up on tanks. One thing I didn't check is how long do tanks, coils, wicks etc. last for.

Feels like the cold war is around the corner again and people need to restock their bunkers.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    I also researched how to mix my own liquids and everything, but I will take your advice and stock up on tanks. One thing I didn't check is how long do tanks, coils, wicks etc. last for.

Tanks can last forever, but most eventually suffer some disaster (damaged seals or glass). Anything 'ceramic' should last a long time. There are some interesting new tanks out there (like Horizon Krixus) which have the potential to re-write the book on coil life.

My protection is rebuildable RTAs and the 100s of coils on order from China, of course. :)

I plan to have a years-worth of Eleaf GS Pure Cotton coils by May.
    My mini Nautilus might go in the bin, unless they avoid the firing squad, which is possible, don't get me wrong.
    I have Kanthal and cotton for 5 years, easy.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Hi and welcome. I think there are better buys, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for you not vaping like a Storm Trooper :) Go for it. A good replacement tank for non-subohm vaping would be an Aspire Nautilus or a GS Air. That's an excellent battery, but it is, as you say, a 20A part. If you really want a 30 A battery, see if you can find a Sony VTC4. That's technically a 20A battery too, but that one, unlike others, can safely be run to 30A without venting; this is not true of its VTC5 brother. I doubt you are going to need it if you don't subohm; +ohm coils don't need-- can't tolerate-- the kind of wattage that would stress a 20A cell.

The cCell coils are supposed to also fit in the Aspire Triton tank, which makes me wonder if the Aspire Triton coils fit in the Target tank. If so, they make a 1.8Ω coil for the Triton what would probably be more suitable for MTL vaping. Let me page @Kaezziel who knows more about that machine than anybody I know. If you decide on a high ohm coil for your tank, you might want a smaller drip tip for it.

'Gratz on your desire to quit, good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread