Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Thanks for the reply Cigatron.

So correct me if I'm wrong.

I have 2 eGrips. I use the black one for coffee and NET juices where I want the full 20 watts. Won't use it running less than 12.5 watts. So a 1.2 ohm coil will deliver the full 20 watts and the best battery life for firing it at 20 watts. Correct?

The silver one will be used for fruit juices which I vape at low wattage. So I would need a coil of at least 1.5 ohms to fire at 8 watts. Correct?

Right on. The extended battery life with the 1.2 ohm coil results from faster firing time at 20w than the 1.5 ohm. Less wire to heat up. So shorter pulls for the same vapor production! It cools down faster too which will help with coil gunking.

As it is no one really knows the low voltage limit for the Egrip. No specs available. But if it has the same voltage regulator circuit as the 20w eleaf Istick (also made by joyetech) it could go down to 3.0v. In that case the Egrip would have full range wattage(8-20w) with any coil from 1.1-1.5ohms.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I have noticed ,as some others here, that the cotton provided with the factory RBA works quite well in the Egrip. I didn't use it long before changing it to kgd (you never know where it's been); just long enough to check the factory setup, which worked great. Just wondering if anyone has identified the cotton type. I'd like to get some.

level0five

Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
I have noticed ,as some others here, that the cotton provided with the factory RBA works quite well in the Egrip. I didn't use it long before changing it to kgd (you never know where it's been); just long enough to check the factory setup, which worked great. Just wondering if anyone has identified the cotton type. I'd like to get some.

I think it's kgd. Just got some kgd from vaporleaf.com and it's identical in appearance. Same construction. Same dark specs. The cotton that came w/ the rba did have an off taste that I had to boil out. No boiling required for the vaporleaf kgd.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I'll bite, What's kgd?

KGD is KoGenDo organic Japanese cotton. Pure stuff and no boiling necessary. It's available as facial pads, a year supply is about $15.00 and available at barneys and other places online. It has a very unidirectional fiber orientation with few cotton nodules and transports juice rocket fast. The best cotton for vaping imo.

FYI the Egrip cotton does not look or feel like KGD. It's softer and more dense than KGD imo.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
My Brother has a couple of them and seems to like them. The replacement coils are expensive at least for me since I mostly use rebuildables.

There is a replacement rebuildable base for the egrip, many here are using one. Similar to a Kayfun deck. Tiny, and tasty, plenty of vapor.

oseigneur

Jan 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

I bought the Egrip because of the form factor and the overall positive reviews.
Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the flavor produced by the Egrip with the RBA base (very muted).
I used first the pre-mounted coil in the base, but the flavor was terribly muted (in comparison to my Lemo).
I have now put a new coil (2.4 Ohm) and cotton (same as in my Lemo). Flavor is slightly better but is still miles away from my Lemo.

What are you doing to get the best flavor out of this box? (please mention the type of wire, ohm, type of cotton)
Thanks!

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Egrip flavor and vapor density is def superior to the rebuilt Evod-Protank-Aerotank line from Kanger that I started with. Power levels at 14-17watts with tension wound micro coils and proper KGD wicking density are getting me there.

Flavor from my Lemo and Billow RTAs is still superior but I'm not finished with experimentation. So far tensioned micro coils at 1.2-1.4 ohms are producing the best flavor.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Hello everyone,

I bought the Egrip because of the form factor and the overall positive reviews.
Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the flavor produced by the Egrip with the RBA base (very muted).
I used first the pre-mounted coil in the base, but the flavor was terribly muted (in comparison to my Lemo).
I have now put a new coil (2.4 Ohm) and cotton (same as in my Lemo). Flavor is slightly better but is still miles away from my Lemo.

What are you doing to get the best flavor out of this box? (please mention the type of wire, ohm, type of cotton)
Thanks!

Hey "O", welcome to the thread. 2.4 ohms is too high res for the Egrip. At 2.4ohms the Egrip will only produce 12.6watts max even if you turn the dial to 20w! Flavor is going to be better with most juices at 14-20w on this device. The RBA high airflow demands it.

My device came with three 28awg 10/9 wrap .077(2mm) 1.4-1.5ohm micro coils. Start there.

Anything higher res than 1.5 ohms will keep you from reaching 20w. Anything lower than 1.1 will keep you from reducing to 8w.

Set the bottom of coil 1.5-2.5mm above the air channel.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I acquired an eGrip last night from the local vapor store where my wife works. It was purchased by the store as a sample to see if they would be interested in carrying the product. (They now do) It was used by my wife and I before the store owner was kind enough to give it to me. I then purchased the RBA base from them.

So here is my small dilemma: My wife vaped fruity flavors in it that I don't care for, and that flavor is coming through. What is the best method for cleaning this thing out? Removing the coil base and drip tip, and running warm water through it hasn't removed the taste, which is currently tainting my favorite NET vape.

I am also open to suggestions for recommended builds for the RBA base. I am looking for a warm (not hot) vape. The current build I'm running in it is an 8 wrap microcoil of 28ga wire at 5/64" with the leads through the post holes. At the full 20 Watts, vapor production is good, flavor is so-so, temperature is luke warm which I find unsatisfying.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the eGrip. The RBA base is a sweet touch, although I find the build a little tedious compared to full size atomizers. I wish the screw heads were a little larger to trap the wire underneath them instead of through the holes.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I am also open to suggestions for recommended builds for the RBA base. I am looking for a warm (not hot) vape. The current build I'm running in it is an 8 wrap microcoil of 28ga wire at 5/64" with the leads through the post holes. At the full 20 Watts, vapor production is good, flavor is so-so, temperature is luke warm which I find unsatisfying.

Assuming your build is a tensioned micro coil and came in at around 1.2 ohms? The RBA has perfect airflow to produce a "luke warm" vape at 20w. Will likely not produce a warm-hot vape unless it floods (gurgling) or dryhits. Even though it provides excellent flavor for such a small chambered rba I don't get the full monte flavor like with the lemo or billow with NETs either. Seems best at 14-17w. Still a great little device imo.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Assuming your build is a tensioned micro coil and came in at around 1.2 ohms? The RBA has perfect airflow to produce a "luke warm" vape at 20w. Will likely not produce a warm-hot vape unless it floods (gurgling) or dryhits. Even though it provides excellent flavor for such a small chambered rba I don't get the full monte flavor like with the lemo or billow with NETs either. Seems best at 14-17w. Still a great little device imo.

Yes, a microcoil, and I am assuming it is around 1.2-1.3Ω. I can only estimate by build as I wasn't clever enough to have my wife bring home the eGrip 510 adaptor base last night to dry fire and test it. She's bringing one home today, as I now understand the value of it.

For the price I paid, I'm thrilled to death with the eGrip. And the flavor isn't bad, just not on par with the likes of a Lemo or Kayfun. If it is what it is, I'm still happy with it. :) I may try building with 29ga to see if I can warm it up a bit.

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
So here is my small dilemma: My wife vaped fruity flavors in it that I don't care for, and that flavor is coming through. What is the best method for cleaning this thing out? Removing the coil base and drip tip, and running warm water through it hasn't removed the taste, which is currently tainting my favorite NET vape.

I'd suggest cheap vodka. Fill the tank about half full, shake well, dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread