New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
And...how do you read the watts? With the "20" at the top are you vaping at 20 watts and what are the other marks for?

The little status light below the dial is the index maker for your wattage setting.

The dot sizes on the dial indicate wattage selection. Each click of the dial changes wattage by 1.5w. Range is from 8-20w.

Last edited:

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
The little status light below the dial is the index maker for your wattage setting.

The dot sizes on the dial indicate wattage selection. Each click of the dial changes wattage by 1.5w. Range is from 8-20w.

Thanks a bunch, cigatron! Just what I needed to know. :)

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I'm at a loss with this rba. The damn thing only fires on about 1 out of every 5 of the premade coils. I screw them into the posts, wick them and then reinstall the chimney and top but the egrip just flashes at me. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Check down in the bottom of your RBA. One of mine had a tiny metal circle that seemed to be floating around and causing the same problem you're having. I took it out (it wasn't attached to anything) and everything works fine now!

cracker75

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Washington State
I'm at a loss with this rba. The damn thing only fires on about 1 out of every 5 of the premade coils. I screw them into the posts, wick them and then reinstall the chimney and top but the egrip just flashes at me. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Have you checked the coil's resistance? 5 of the one's I got from Cignot were below the minimum rating for the device (0.8-1.1ohm). I notified Vicki, and she replaced them in my next order.

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
No, You're just the only one that thinks that they could change that.;)
The button is on top of the bat, no room for it on the draw side. That's why it's a 17500 instead of an 18650. Unless they did something like I was suggesting with a side by side design.
If I was the only one we would vape with sticks & stones :p

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri

I just recieved my 3 rd replacement from joyetech. 1st was doa, 2nd had the charging port problem, now the new one fires and then doesn't fire. Shows its shorted some times on the rda, but fires the reg coil sometimes. I am ready to call it quits, i have all kinds of mods and rdas never have any problems. Will take apart and clean, and see what happens, if it does not start working i will ask joytech for refund. Aggghhh.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar

Couple of things Vibez, do you have the 510 adaptor so you can fire the rba on a different device, like a mech mod or subohm capable box mod? Reason why I ask is because the turns can be shorted together when the coil is brand new. Until you fire a brand new coil the alumina has not formed on the wire yet. Alumina develops when the coil gets red hot and until is does you could have shorts between the turns of the coil. This would make the coil appear to the Egrip as too low of res and so it won't fire it.

Also when you install the coil on the rba make sure that each wire lead is only touching the terminal block it is attached to. It's quite easy to have the wire lead attached to the smaller terminal block short out against the larger terminal block.

And as others have suggested check for metallic debris.

Hope all you lurking noobs are listening; you cannot just measure the res of an unfired contact microcoil to determine it's resistance. It has to be fired and the turns given a chance to become electrically isolated by the formation of alumina crystals on the wire before true res can be measured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggy Road

vibez

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
UK
Couple of things Vibez, do you have the 510 adaptor so you can fire the rba on a different device, like a mech mod or subohm capable box mod? Reason why I ask is because the turns can be shorted together when the coil is brand new. Until you fire a brand new coil the alumina has not formed on the wire yet. Alumina develops when the coil gets red hot and until is does you could have shorts between the turns of the coil. This would make the coil appear to the Egrip as too low of res and so it won't fire it.

Also when you install the coil on the rba make sure that each wire lead is only touching the terminal block it is attached to. It's quite easy to have the wire lead attached to the smaller terminal block short out against the larger terminal block.

And as others have suggested check for metallic debris.

No I don't have the 510 adapter yet. I may have to invest in one and see if I can get it to fire the coils

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
No I don't have the 510 adapter yet. I may have to invest in one and see if I can get it to fire the coils

There is an alternative. Holding one lead with a small pair of pliers or tweezers and using a small torch lighter or cig lighter heat the coil to red hot a few times, letting it cool between heating. This will encourage alumina to form on the wire and should electrically isolate the turns of the coil.

Be very careful to not overheat as this could distort the symmetry of the coil.

The 510 adaptor really is a necessary device for proper alumina formation and to achieve the optimal performance of the coil when using the rba.

vibez

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
UK
There is an alternative. Holding one lead with a small pair of pliers or tweezers and using a small torch lighter or cig lighter heat the coil to red hot a few times, letting it cool between heating. This will encourage alumina to form on the wire and should electrically isolate the turns of the coil.

Be very careful to not overheat as this could distort the symmetry of the coil.

The 510 adaptor really is a necessary device for proper alumina formation and to achieve the optimal performance of the coil when using the rba.

Wow that worked! I've just heated my coil up on a gas hob a few times and measure the ohms at 1.5. Put it in the RBA and it fires perfectly :)

As for a better solution, I have an istick, would that work to fire the coil with the 510 base,or will it have the same problem of not being able to fire as such low resistances?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Wow that worked! I've just heated my coil up on a gas hob a few times and measure the ohms at 1.5. Put it in the RBA and it fires perfectly :)

As for a better solution, I have an istick, would that work to fire the coil with the 510 base,or will it have the same problem of not being able to fire as such low resistances?

If the res is below 1.1ohms the istick won't fire it either unfortunately. Glad you got things working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread