New member here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Name is Mike and am new to e-cigs based in the UK.
Smoker for 50 years but have been told to stop by medical team.
COPD team said try e-cigs so am looking at lower cost options.currently smoking 20 superking fags a week
Welcome veryoldgit54. :thumbs:

Novices sometimes balk at the price it costs to start vaping. I counter that you need to determine how much you spend per month on cigarettes. At $5 - $10 a pack, a pack-a-day smoker spends $150 to $300 a month to smoke. With that budget in mind, you should be able to find a reasonably priced, quality vape setup for under $70. Then consider that once you have your gear or hardware, your subsequent costs per month will be only for replacement coils for your tanks and e-liquid (about $70 - $90 a month). You'll be saving money once you are vaping exclusively and no longer smoking.

Novices also sometimes balk at the size of an eGo or mod setup compared to a cigarette. The truth is, in order to match the performance of a cigarette, larger batteries (and battery devices) are necessary. Trust me, if you are serious about quitting smoking, you will have much better success with a battery larger than a cigarette. There's a good reason why Big Tobacco is only involved with cigalikes such as Blu and Vuse: they suck and they are betting that unsatisfied users will go back to smoking.

One of the first setups you should consider:

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Welcome - sorry to hear about the medical issues, but you're quitting at a good time. Lot's of satisfying options these days. If you find the right combination of gear & juice, you'll find it easy after a few weeks off the cigs. Smoked about 45 years myself before dropping them a year ago April.

If it helps, I started with Aspire Zelos kit, but I understand there are even better options now. Some great advice will be coming from the good folks here shortly.

Good luck!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Name is Mike and am new to e-cigs based in the UK.
Smoker for 50 years but have been told to stop by medical team.
COPD team said try e-cigs so am looking at lower cost options.currently smoking 20 superking fags a week

UK Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for the replies, by lower cost options i mean simple (like me), plug and play, don't want fancy adjustable kit just easy to maintain, and get for
"Adjustable" (variable wattage) doesn't mean difficult to learn or use. Once you find the right power setting for you, you can leave it be and no further adjustments necessary. An unsatisfactory vape can often be corrected by a simple power adjustment change. You can't do that with a "fixed" output or "one setting" battery device.

What is Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage?

If your oven or stove top burner had only one fixed heat or temperature setting, you'd probably become frustrated pretty quickly preparing your food. You might as well be cooking all of your food on a campfire like a cave man.

Your oven and stove top burner have variable power knobs to allow you to adjust the power or temperature to the burners according to what and how you want to cook your food.

Most mods and many of the eGo battery devices have either variable voltage or variable wattage control buttons. (Basically they do the same thing.) This is a feature that allows you to adjust the battery current to the heating coils in your juice delivery device. In a nutshell, it allows you to adjust your vaping experience "on the fly".

For example, early in the day I may want a "cooler" or weaker vaping experience so I use a lower power setting. Later in the day I may want a "warmer" or stronger vaping experience. By pressing the "+" or "Up" button I can increase the power, or by pressing the "-" or "Down" button I can decrease the power. This is a highly desirable feature.

Some e-liquid flavors taste better at higher or lower temperatures.

You won't be able to change your vape with a "fixed voltage" battery device. It has only one setting for temperature and limits your overall satisfaction.

QQ_20171221190020.png

Last edited:

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
You could try looking online for pod devices than can be refilled... they are pretty much simple plug and play... plus side is your liquid will last longer too. I’ve vaped for many years and am still happy to try new things... try looking on vaping 101, it’s very good site!

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Thanks for the replies, by lower cost options i mean simple (like me), plug and play, don't want fancy adjustable kit just easy to maintain, and get for

Simple not adjustable device does not have to mean easy to use.

Would you like to buy radio or tv with fixed not adjustable volume level? If you know how to adjust sound level of your radio you will know how to udjust power on adjustable wattage vaping device... just press + or - button....

If you buy plug and play not adjustable kit next question you will post on this forum will be why I am coughing my lungs out when vaping or why my vape is so hot and provide burnt taste... problem is that with non adjustable device we will not be able help you much...

Another very important thing for you to know is that for somebody who smoke cigarettes for 50 years simple one button device that use very low ohm coils and wide drip tips will not mimick cigarette smoking... for that you have to consider MTL tank... and most simple one button kits with exception of pods do not provide it well...

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011

A Spinner or a Twist along with an EVOD tank and coils is as simple as it gets unless you go with a Pod System ..

E-Cig Starter Kits

Last edited:
Reactions: fitchy

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@veryoldgit54, I was sincerely trying to help you find a good starter setup. I don't want to read here later that your simple plug and play starter setup isn't cutting it for you. Just trying to save you some possible frustration and money wasted on something that can't be adjusted for your particular vaping style (which you don't know yet because you haven't vaped yet).

I was sort of like yourself when I first began vaping. I was convinced that my first vape had to look and feel like a cigarette, so my first starter kit were cigalikes (cigarette size batteries). That idea lasted for about 2 weeks. My next setups were variable voltage/wattage setups and they were a gamechanger in performance.

veryoldgit54

Sep 15, 2018
London UK
@veryoldgit54, I was sincerely trying to help you find a good starter setup. I don't want to read here later that your simple plug and play starter setup isn't cutting it for you. Just trying to save you some possible frustration and money wasted on something that can't be adjusted for your particular vaping style (which you don't know yet because you haven't vaped yet).

I was sort of like yourself when I first began vaping. I was convinced that my first vape had to l ook and feel like a cigarette, so my first starter kit were cigalikes (cigarette size batteries). That idea lasted for about 2 weeks. My next setups were variable voltage/wattage setups and they were a gamechanger in performance.
I am sorry if my initial reply was knocking your very valid points, I am currently researching different options that i may purchase. My grandchildren have just emailed me saying they are getting me one of these to try first
Switz2 Basic E-cig Kit and E-liquid from Totally Wicked

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am sorry if my initial reply was knocking your very valid points, I am currently researching different options that i may purchase. My grandchildren have just emailed me saying they are getting me one of these to try first
Switz2 Basic E-cig Kit and E-liquid
I realise I will probably want better
Yeah, that kit is one of those "fixed" power battery devices that you can't adjust. :( My feelings are not hurt. ;)

Well, good luck with that kit. I hope it helps you to stop smoking or at the very least helps you cut down the number that you smoke per day. Even if that kit doesn't work out for the best, at least it can be used as a "backup" setup, which every vaper needs. Just be aware that there is almost always something "better" out there.

Just remember, its not how many cigarettes a day you smoke that are important, its how many you DIDN'T smoke that is. :)

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Switz2 Basic E-cig Kit and E-liquid from Totally Wicked

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that kit .. you must learn to walk before you can run .. in fact, fixed output batteries such as those can work well on some tanks/coils ..

I'm using a Vision Spinner II with an EVOD tank, 1.8 coil right now, set at it's lowest setting .. and I've been at this for many years ..

I advocate anytime, any place, for what works to get people off the cigarettes ..

Keep in mind, it's a Journey .. you may not get to your Destination immediately .. or, you may ..

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm using a Vision Spinner II with an EVOD tank, 1.8 coil right now, set at it's lowest setting .. and I've been at this for many years ..
Yes, but your Spinner is a variable voltage battery device. If you NEEDED TO, you have the option to adjust the voltage. That's my point, but I digress. :)

Reactions: stols001

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Yes, but your Spinner is a variable voltage battery device. If you NEEDED TO, you have the option to adjust the voltage. That's my point, but I digress. :)

I've never needed to push one past 3.5V .. as well, I still use 510 fixed batteries, some of which are 5-6 years old .. I have a TDUX tank / 2.0 Ohm coil on a 510 fixed in my pocket as we speak .. it's working fine ..

Reactions: Baditude

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire, England
Welcome to the forum veryoldgit54. Much sympathy for the COPD situation, my wife is a sufferer so I know it's a tough go. You really only on 20 snouts per week? Why, that's hardly smoking at all!

You'll find that vaping is never maintenance free, the kit has many ways to annoy. However, and as I never tire of saying, the people I personally know who've completely quit cigarettes have done it with basic ego type setups such as you are getting.

Good luck and good health to you.

veryoldgit54

Sep 15, 2018
London UK
[sQUOTE="SunshinePete, post: 21173353, member: 216417"]Welcome to the forum veryoldgit54. Much sympathy for the COPD situation, my wife is a sufferer so I know it's a tough go. You really only on 20 snouts per week? Why, that's hardly smoking at all!

You'll find that vaping is never maintenance free, the kit has many ways to annoy. However, and as I never tire of saying, the people I personally know who've completely quit cigarettes have done it with basic ego type setups such as you are getting.
C[/QUOTE]
Yeah I know not much now but at one point in time I was on 60 a day:shock: COPD wise had 13 trips to A&E since Feb this year, so need to make that break fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread