new member just got my order in..first puff..experience and questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
my system is a vivi mini and a passthrough 1100mah battery..I have the 1.8ohm coil in and put some 24mg tobacco flavoured juice in..took one hit

thoughts:
-wow way more harsh/hitting than I thought..reminds me of my cigarello when it's down at the nub lol
-this thing is just way too cool..
-I also bought a normal resistance atty with the old carts and tried that..was much better for smoothness and what I prefer..

questions:
-if I put the 2.4 or whatever other coild comes with the vivi will it be less harsh? i'm assuming yes but thought i'd ask
-can I change out the atty in the vivi without emptying the tube? unscrew it at the battery connection right? edit: just tried it and all the fluid leaked out..oh well 2.8ohm coil is in there now..
-will the vivi get less harsh after a break in?
-I have this battery ( eGo 3.7V 1100mAh PASSTHROUGH Battery! )..it's blue when I plug it in..will the light go off when it's charged? or will it change colour? there's no info on the site..
-I want to buy rebuilables for the vivi..thinking of cotton wick..should I go with 1mm or 3mm? 32 gauge kanthal wire right?

sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help to anyone who has the time..cheers

Last edited:

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't rebuild coils for that just yet. You probably want to wait until you get a better understanding of it all and get a device with short protection and an ohm reader. The harshness is most likely because of the high nicotine content of your juice. Try getting some 18 mg juice.

yeah I have DMM (digital multi meter) and i'm pretty handy with soldering and fine electronics..have had my fill of flashlight drivers etc..i've researched it and it seems simple..I will be rebuilding when the coil has run it's life..just need to know what wick to get..I could always get both and see what works best..

yeah i'm going to get some low nicotine on my next order..might be sooner than later if it's too harsh..

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Harshness could be from nicotine strength or too hot of an atomizer being used.

I prefer a cooler vape. I'm not sure if the vivi tanks run the same ohm-wise to other attachments, but a standard ohm (2.0 - 2.5 ohm) attachment device may be more enjoyable to you. Anything less than 2.0 ohm and the vapor is too harsh and hot to my liking.

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You can cut it with a couple of drops of distilled water or if you have a lot of 24m juice cut it with some 0mg juice of PG/VG or :) order more juice at 12mg, mix in equal amounts of 24mg = 18mg.... :)

I have to agree, sounds like your nicotine content is too high.

awesome..thanks! if I take shorter hits it's pretty good..I have yet to try the 2.8 ohm coil though so that with shorter puffs might be ok..I will be ordering more with low nicotine and some with no nicotine..

does it have to be distilled water? what about natural spring water? I would just have to run out and get distilled it all..

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Harshness could be from nicotine strength or too hot of an atomizer being used.

I prefer a cooler vape. I'm not sure if the vivi tanks run the same ohm-wise to other attachments, but a standard ohm (2.0 - 2.5 ohm) attachment device may be more enjoyable to you. Anything less than 2.0 ohm and the vapor is too harsh and hot to my liking.

yeah I bought an SR atty with regular carts and it is much better..I think swapping in the 2.8ohm vivi coil will help from what i've read..there was just an ambundance of vapour from that 1.8 coil..just have to get home and try it out after a few brews..I don't enjoy smoking (or vaping now I guess lol) in the day so I have yet to try it out..

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
does it have to be distilled water? what about natural spring water? I would just have to run out and get distilled it all..
Distilled water would be the recommendation because it would have no additives, such as minerals, that might affect the longivity of the coil heads.

Having said that, I rinse under tap water all the time. :oops:

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Distilled water would be the recommendation because it would have no additives, such as minerals, that might affect the longivity of the coil heads.

Having said that, I rinse under tap water all the time. :oops:

lol good point..i'll grab a bottle of distilled if it's still too much tonight..

what size cotton wick would you recommend for a rebuild? 1mm or 3mm?

K DUB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2012
CALIFORNIA
the harsh hitting may be you drawing in too hard. slow and easy. almost like a normal breath. as far as the vivi, make sure you keep the wicks nice and wet. swirl it around a little. long hard draws can dry the wick and even burn it. my roomie has killed 2 wicks in 2 days. he hits that thing way too hard! be patient, most unsatisfactory results are user error. everyone has gone through this, you're not alone! :toast:

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
the harsh hitting may be you drawing in too hard. slow and easy. almost like a normal breath. as far as the vivi, make sure you keep the wicks nice and wet. swirl it around a little. long hard draws can dry the wick and even burn it. my roomie has killed 2 wicks in 2 days. he hits that thing way too hard! be patient, most unsatisfactory results are user error. everyone has gone through this, you're not alone! :toast:

thanks K dub..I will get some glycerin tomorrow and cut the nicotine down on my juice..it's still way harsh..the regular cartridges with a SR atty is perfect so at least I have those..the viv is just too much for me..as I said i'm not a huge smoker just tonight and tomorrow night lol..the cut with glycerine may be better..next juice I get will be 6 or 12 mg..I went too much this run lol..trial and error will do it..

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
ok I gave the vivi some more time..it seems really really good now..I don't know if it's the beer helping or what lol..it seems great right now..i've heard of the "break in" period..nothing is harsh and it is really good with the throat hit delivery etc..I even went out and tried a cigar but kept going back to the vivi..I think it just needed a little time..plenty surprised right now..

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
I would start with silica wick first, 3mm is what I use and 32g kanthal with 4 wraps gives me a 1.8 ohm coil almost every time. Silica wont burn if the wick dries out. People do use cotton but you have to boil it and clean it and its just a lot of work. Silica works fine with almost all juices for me. I cut mine short so that they just hit the sides of the tank and I tip to keep them wet. Long wicks flood when its full and dry out when its low. Best thing about rebuilding is you can try different stuff until it works best for you.

My first juice order was 24mg and it was too much. CVS USP glycerine cut it down nicely and really smoothed it out. Now I'm making my own juice at 80%vg 20%pg and its smooth as silk!

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would start with silica wick first, 3mm is what I use and 32g kanthal with 4 wraps gives me a 1.8 ohm coil almost every time. Silica wont burn if the wick dries out. People do use cotton but you have to boil it and clean it and its just a lot of work. Silica works fine with almost all juices for me. I cut mine short so that they just hit the sides of the tank and I tip to keep them wet. Long wicks flood when its full and dry out when its low. Best thing about rebuilding is you can try different stuff until it works best for you.

My first juice order was 24mg and it was too much. CVS USP glycerine cut it down nicely and really smoothed it out. Now I'm making my own juice at 80%vg 20%pg and its smooth as silk!

cool thanks..

I heard the silica has sharp pieces so I wanted to avoid it with cotton..I dunno i'm hitting the silica now and it seems good..just heard cotton was more safe..

I may try to cut my juice, but right now it's awesome..maybe the break in?

thanks for the input though I really appreciate it..

tadeus

Aug 17, 2012
Illinois
The harsh hit sounds to me like a dry hit, so the Vivi is not wicking right (I had a Vivi doing the same with me too, got another one and it wicked way better but still needed to turn and twist the Vivi to have the best wicking going on) try some other different styles before shooting into the Vivi to much there are way better things out there then the Vivi, for example the rebuildable Hydra from Discountvaper, start to rebuild first with silika rope and later after you got more experienced try out the SS mesh, you will be amazed how better this tastes. Try to get a VV device or a Mod which accepts the kick, this gives you the power you will need for better results otherwise you are limited in the lower resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread