New Member, New Vaper ...possible battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan!

May 15, 2018
Hi there I am completely new to vaping and have no idea about wattage and ratios and well alot, I have an innokin jem

I have been having issues with it tasting burnt first time I happened was my own fault I didn't know how to prime the coil, but since then I've been doing it properly and it's still happening,

At the moment I'm using a 6mg nicotine
70vg 30pg

I primed the coil correctly
Making sure it's fully charged
Not chain vaping
Using at lowest setting

Whats making me think its the battery because I get a good draw then a burnt one than a good one ...... and also it won't hold a charge going from green to Amber within an hour or two

Any help would be much Appreciated thanks!

Reactions: BrotherBob

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your battery wouldn't be causing the burnt taste, unless you are using too high of a wattage setting. The Innokin Jem barely qualifies as a variable wattage regulated mod, with 5 preset wattage options. Highest wattage setting is only 13.5 watts, so I doubt you are using too high of a wattage setting. The tank uses a 1.6 ohm coil, so the coil and wattage seem appropriately matched.

The internal battery is only 1000mah capacity, so although an hour or two battery time is suspiciously weak, it's not going to last you all day. Are you certain that you fully charged it?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
More than likely it is the 70% Vg liquid being slow to wick causing the random burnt tasting hits.
Of course it could also be caused by overly flavored & sweetened goopy gunky type liquids clogging wicking & gunking up the coil, or a combination of both high Vg & goopy gunky liquids.

As far as the battery not holding charge, a 1000mah battery / 1.6Ω coil should provide about 18 - 20 minutes ( give or take a couple of minutes) of actual run time/ between recharge cycle usage.

Green light = full battery.
Yellow / amber light = 50 percent left.
red light = need to charge soon only a few vapes until cut off.

Let it go to red then recharge.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
More than likely it is the 70% Vg liquid being slow to wick causing the random burnt tasting hits.
Of course it could also be caused by overly flavored & sweetened goopy gunky type liquids clogging wicking & gunking up the coil, or a combination of both high Vg & goopy gunky liquids.

As far as the battery not holding charge, a 1000mah battery / 1.6Ω coil should provide about 18 - 20 minutes ( give or take a couple of minutes) of actual run time/ between recharge cycle usage.

Green light = full battery.
Yellow / amber light = 50 percent left.
red light = need to charge soon only a few vapes until cut off.

Let it go to red then recharge.
I agree with this. The coil heads of this tank have pretty small wicking holes. If using a thicker e-liquid, you may be vaping faster than the wick can replenish itself with more e-liquid. So the vapor may taste burnt because the cotton wick is getting scorched. Once cotton is burnt, the entire coil is ruined.

I suggest that you use a 50pg/50vg ratio e-liquid. That would be a thinner juice that should wick faster.

_mfs8830.jpg

I know you believe you are properly priming your coils, but I urge you to watch this video. It's for a different tank, but the principles taught apply to any tank. It's pretty difficult to "over prime" a coil.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Probably tastes burnt past 11w due to the liquid not being able to wick sufficiently between hits or due to the VG the wicking material gets scorched which also reduces wicking ability and gives off odd funky or burnt tastes. Pretty much after you get a burnt hit that head is done for, occasionally you'll get a satisfactory hit but the burnt taste always returns until the head is replaced.

Increasing PG and nic will increase throat hit, you don't need high watts to get throat hit.
50/50 may help, upping nic might also.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do yous think id be better getting a higher wattage device I like a really strong throat hit the Jem I don't think is going to cut it as it always tastes burnt at more than 11.... any recommendations thanks again!
That decision is up to you. Everyone needs a backup setup, anyway. You're rather limited in your wattage selections with the Jem; you'd have more control of your vaping experience with a true regulated, variable wattage mod.

The Jem is a good beginner's first vape, or a great backup setup. I even recommend them in my link below. It's got a very small battery though, so you almost need two to vape all day. It's a good out-and-about, stealthy setup, but not very ideal as an all day vape.

"Throat hit" comes more from the nic level of the e-liquid used. A higher Pg ratio will also add to the throat hit. Variable wattage more easily allows you to customize your vaping experience by creating more or less vapor.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi welcome to ECF. I suppose (maybe possibly) that there could be some internal fault but it may well be user error, or just the need for a different juice.

However, if you find yourself wanting to try a different device or style of vaping, I'd say go for it. My path to "happy" vaping was liberally strewn along the way with unsuitable devices (for me anyway) but it did get me to where I have a lot of setups I enjoy so I don't really regret a few misguided purchases, that I was usually able to give away (if I knew I'd never vape them) which helped me feel happier about it and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Dan!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Welcome to the forum. Along with the other suggestions mentioned, airflow is another aspect to consider. Proper airflow is needed to keep the coil temperature in check. I suspect a lot of new vaper burnt hits are due to being too tentative when taking a hit. After that first dry hit they become even more tentative only making the problem worse.

• Agree

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Welcome to ECF! It could be a number of things. Juice flow may be too slow for the power you are using, or air flow may to too small. I recommend lowering the power. If you need more power, you may want to invest in a different setup like a subohm one. They generally come with tanks that use coils designed for more airflow and faster juice flow.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread