Salutations! New member, new device, new problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackvoid

Jul 20, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well. I was a heavy smoker for about 5 years (at my peak, I was smoking almost 2 packs of menthol cigarettes per day). Finally decided to try vaping out, so I went out and picked up a Smok Devilkin kit and a few things of juice.

I absolutely love it and after a week of having it, the mere smell/taste of cigarettes is unbearable. Unfortunately, I've been having some issues with my device -- my coils are burning out fast. I've had the device for about a week now, and I've gone through 4 coils.

I prime them thoroughly, usually changing them before I go to bed, so I let it sit/soak overnight. After putting in a new coil, I lower the wattage and keep it there for 1-3 hours, and then I'll steadily increase it (I usually keep it at 80W-90W -- according to the coil, the "best" setting is 80W-100W). On the new coils, I'll take slow drags/hits, and even after I "break it in," I don't hit it too hard. I hit it hard enough to get a good cloud and feel satisfied. I also don't chain vape (usually wait 45-60 seconds between hits).

At this point, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. My coils are only lasting about 1.5 days before I begin getting the burning sensation. I check the tops of the coil, and sure enough the cotton is burnt/brown. My only other guess at this point is the juice itself is to blame.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. the coils I'm using are the V12 Prince ones and my juice is currently at 6MG.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
How much liquid are you running through them though? Are you chain vaping? Chain vaping on one device (especially one with maybe less airflow than some) is kind of one of my number one offenders as far as coil life. Too sweet or too dark juices can also be the culprit as can NETs, and also a super high VG level (even if the device, or coil, is built to "handle it.")

So yeah, you may do better with a more adjustable setup (don't know much about yours sorry) or a different type of juice etc. Or just some backups that you actually use if chain vaping and etc. It's pretty normal to chain vape at the start, but I really found my coil life to improve in ALL my devices etc.

Priming sounds pretty reasonable so I'd start looking at other factors, and also sometimes other coils for setups can surprise you, in a good way.

Best of luck,

Anna

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
If your'e actually burning the wick, then you know the wick is getting above 450F. You either have a problem with the wick staying wet, or your wattage is just too high for that coil.
When you are breaking in new coils at lower wattage, how is your vape?
I would suggest ignoring the wattage printed on the coil, and look for what works.
If however the wick is just browning from the constituents of the juice,(tobacco flavors?) then that could be an area to try. Very sweet juice also tends to gunk up and burn.
You said "burning sensation". Did you mean the taste, or a burning feel?

Mimi25

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2018
Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well. I was a heavy smoker for about 5 years (at my peak, I was smoking almost 2 packs of menthol cigarettes per day). Finally decided to try vaping out, so I went out and picked up a Smok Devilkin kit and a few things of juice.

I absolutely love it and after a week of having it, the mere smell/taste of cigarettes is unbearable. Unfortunately, I've been having some issues with my device -- my coils are burning out fast. I've had the device for about a week now, and I've gone through 4 coils.

I prime them thoroughly, usually changing them before I go to bed, so I let it sit/soak overnight. After putting in a new coil, I lower the wattage and keep it there for 1-3 hours, and then I'll steadily increase it (I usually keep it at 80W-90W -- according to the coil, the "best" setting is 80W-100W). On the new coils, I'll take slow drags/hits, and even after I "break it in," I don't hit it too hard. I hit it hard enough to get a good cloud and feel satisfied. I also don't chain vape (usually wait 45-60 seconds between hits).

At this point, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. My coils are only lasting about 1.5 days before I begin getting the burning sensation. I check the tops of the coil, and sure enough the cotton is burnt/brown. My only other guess at this point is the juice itself is to blame.

P.S. the coils I'm using are the V12 Prince ones and my juice is currently at 6MG.
Glad to meet you. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon. Like you would use to clean jewelry, coins etc. for about 30.00. I use distilled water in in to clean coils, new hardware. I let the coils dry about three days before using. The sweetness of the juice you are using will definitely affect coil life.

Blackvoid

Jul 20, 2018
Chicago, IL
How much liquid are you running through them though? Are you chain vaping? Chain vaping on one device (especially one with maybe less airflow than some) is kind of one of my number one offenders as far as coil life. Too sweet or too dark juices can also be the culprit as can NETs, and also a super high VG level (even if the device, or coil, is built to "handle it.")

So yeah, you may do better with a more adjustable setup (don't know much about yours sorry) or a different type of juice etc. Or just some backups that you actually use if chain vaping and etc. It's pretty normal to chain vape at the start, but I really found my coil life to improve in ALL my devices etc.

Priming sounds pretty reasonable so I'd start looking at other factors, and also sometimes other coils for setups can surprise you, in a good way.

Best of luck,

Anna

The first 1-2 days I had it, I was definitely chain vaping on it. So I wasn't surprised when the first coil went out within the first day or so. I'm not entirely sure how much liquid is running through it, but I refill the tank 1-3 times/day. I'm going to try a different type of juice after I finish my 2nd bottle. I'm hoping the other brand of juice I have won't cause similar issues. Or if it does, I'm hoping I'll be able to get an extra 1-2 days out of the coil(s).

Anyway, I'm trying to find alternative tanks/coils I can use with my mod as apparently there are some out there. I have to do more research. Thanks for your response!

If your'e actually burning the wick, then you know the wick is getting above 450F. You either have a problem with the wick staying wet, or your wattage is just too high for that coil.
When you are breaking in new coils at lower wattage, how is your vape?
I would suggest ignoring the wattage printed on the coil, and look for what works.
If however the wick is just browning from the constituents of the juice,(tobacco flavors?) then that could be an area to try. Very sweet juice also tends to gunk up and burn.
You said "burning sensation". Did you mean the taste, or a burning feel?

When I break it in around 40W-50W, it's awesome -- amazing flavor, good clouds, overall great. As soon as I take it up to 80W, I get the burning taste within 2-3 hits. The type of juice I'm currently using is 6mg Burst Duo Peach + Raspberry. My buddy that works out of a shop said it's probably the juice is too sweet, which as you pointed out, can gunk it up and whatnot.

My issue is I'm not exactly sure what type of juice I'd get that isn't sweet. I don't want a tobacco/menthol flavor as I enjoy the sweetness, but changing coils every other day isn't feasible for me, personally.

I've read online that a lot of people that use these coils poke small holes into the cotton of the new coils before putting it in/priming it. Apparently it's supposed to help with wicking or whatever it's called. Thanks for your response!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
On the new coils, I'll take slow drags/hits, and even after I "break it in," I don't hit it too hard.

If you are hitting it too lightly, you may not be pulling enough air through the coil to cool it efficiently letting the cotton burn prematurely.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The wattage ratings on the coil are a guide, usually an over-rated one. Use your own senses to ascertain the wattage that works best for you.

The elements of airflow, coil temperature and juice flow that make up an atomizer all need to be in balance to get a good vape.
Not enough airflow to match the coil temp - overheated coil
Not enough e-liquid to feed the coil - coil overheats
This is not an exhaustive list, but you get the idea.

I would suggest increasing airflow and reducing power. It could also just be a duff juice.
You need to experiment with the variables, keep notes if you have to.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
When I break it in around 40W-50W, it's awesome -- amazing flavor, good clouds, overall great. As soon as I take it up to 80W, I get the burning taste within 2-3 hits.
So, leave it down at 40-50 for a couple days, make sure you're giving it some air, and see how it goes with your coils. There is no rule that says you have to run that hot. If you can get a good vape at 40w, using the airflow(draw) that you like, you are golden. Like Sonicbomb said above, you have to try things out, and see what changes help. Pay attention to airflow as well, as he said. I made the assumption that since you had a 'big air' tank, you were using it pretty open. Maybe that isn't the case?
Try keeping that power down as low as you can, while getting a decent vape, and see if you don't get more coil life. Before you go buying more tanks, try to learn the one you have. It will be valuable knowledge to have when you shop for the next one!
Good points made above about airflow, as that tank is made to run hot and hard.
If you are not ready to run it open, you have no choice but to 'under watt'.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I vape ALL coils at about 5-10 watts above the minimum rating. If you want to vape at 50-100 watts then you can't expect long life regardless of the optimistic ratings of the manufacturer.
Basically the real answer is;
Increase (double) your nicotine level (3mg to 6mg maybe) and vape at half the power to get longer coil life.
1.5 days at 80w
5 days at 40w

It's up to you. All you lose is some cloud unless your liquid is a bit low on flavor obviously.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
When I break it in around 40W-50W, it's awesome -- amazing flavor, good clouds, overall great. As soon as I take it up to 80W, I get the burning taste within 2-3 hits.

Why not just vape it at 20-40 Watts then, it seems to be where you, the setup, and the juice are happy. You don't have to vape 80 watts just because the coil says you can. Etc.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

It sounds like you're doing everything right, prepping and technique wise.

That leaves either the e-liquid you're using or the coils themselves.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of SMOK. I read here on ECF all the time about the short life expectancy of SMOK coils. Even duds right out of the box.

I'll just suggest here to get a different tank that uses different coils. I'm a huge fan of the Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank. I get 3 - 4 weeks use with each coil, and I'm using a 100% Vg e-liquid.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
So, leave it down at 40-50 for a couple days, make sure you're giving it some air, and see how it goes with your coils.

Why not just vape it at 20-40 Watts then, it seems to be where you, the setup, and the juice are happy. You don't have to vape 80 watts just because the coil says you can. Etc.

Anna

This ^^^

The wattage on the coils is just a "recommended" wattage and often times is not optimal for every person. It doesn't mean you must vape at that wattage. If you like the results at a lower wattage, just vape there.

More often than not I have found the manufacturer's recommended wattage to be too high/hot for my liking. If you like conspiracy theories - maybe the recommended wattage is deliberately overstated by the manufacturer to sell more coils as they quickly burn out...said the guy in the tinfoil hat...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
What Ohms should I choose?
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour
Long term solution, may want to consider building your own coils if you want to continue with sub ohm vaping.
You Tube is a good source in learning hand eye techniques regarding coil and wicking.
The rebuildable information below may help you:
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Could ask detail questions here: Wick and Wire

Blackvoid

Jul 20, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hey everyone! Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help/advice/responses. Unfortunately, I went out last night, got hella drunk, and ended up leaving my device at some random bar, lol.

While this experience has been rather negative for me, I'm not going to let it stop me from vaping as I enjoyed it when the device was working.

So, it's back to the drawing board to find a mod that works for me. Thanks again!

Blackvoid

Jul 20, 2018
Chicago, IL
Lanyard dude.

It's either that or sobriety.

Good luck. LOL.

Anna

Lol. Thanks for the tip :p. I'm not too upset about it. I got the mod Smok mod for ~45$. It happens, hah. I may be old, but I'm not ready to stop getting smashed! Just need to be more careful!

Oh dear...that is a new vapers worst nightmare! Please look into getting a backup device or maybe something you can fit in a pocket when out and about so you won't have this challenge again!

Thankfully today's mods are cheap and cheerful for the most part.

Lol. Truth be told, I had so many issues with the Smok device, I'm not even upset about it. I AM upset at the fact I sold out, and ended up buying a pack of cigarettes, but... oh well. Crappy part is, I can't even enjoy the cigarettes. I think my tongue/taste buds have been spoiled to the point of cigarettes tasting like pure crap.

Anyway, thanks again guys/girls/everything in-between! After spending the day researching, I think I may try out the Voopoo Drag mod. I've yet to hear/read a single negative thing about it.

Reactions: stols001

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
More often than not I have found the manufacturer's recommended wattage to be too high/hot for my liking. If you like conspiracy theories - maybe the recommended wattage is deliberately overstated by the manufacturer to sell more coils as they quickly burn out...said the guy in the tinfoil hat...
Nice! I am Mr conspiracy but oddly I never subscribed to this one. If your coils don't last long, you switch brands. That's not great for the makers. I think they just show off to be honest.
Either way, I always ditch brands that sell short life coils.
Trust your instincts I say. If it's not going well drop the power or try something else.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Lol. Truth be told, I had so many issues with the Smok device.
Sadly, this tells us A LOT about Smok. I know many veteran vapers and none of them use Smok products.
They are innovative and fun and quite good value but beyond that...hmm...
A few folk use the Alien mods but the tanks and coils are long-since forgotten.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread