New Member, Vaping for a year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaping_Otaku

Feb 3, 2018
Hi all,

I wanted to reach out and see what the community on here was like, I am a novice builder, intermediate mech user, mostly use kennedy 24 and voopoo drag. I work at a small shop and do my best to give everyone the best information I can. does anyone have more input on what new vapers should know?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Welcome to the board. I am pleased to see a vape shop person asking that question as lack of knowledge among the group is a pet peeve of many around here. I, and many others, will be happy to help teach you the answers to the questions you're going to hear, but it's much easier if you start with some questions of your own as "things new vapers ought to know" is a rather large field of endeavor. Is there anything you are consistently asked you don't know how to answer?

In addition, I am sure my friend @BrotherBob will be along shortly, and he will link you to a number of posts you ought to read to get started. He's pretty famous for it :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all,
I wanted to reach out and see what the community on here was like, I am a novice builder, intermediate mech user, mostly use kennedy 24 and voopoo drag. I work at a small shop and do my best to give everyone the best information I can. does anyone have more input on what new vapers should know?
Welcome and glad you joined.
"I am sure my friend @BrotherBob will be along shortly, and he will link you to a number of posts you ought to read to get started." The information contained in this send is basic vape information that may be helpful.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, and welcome to ECF. Looks like Brother Bob got you started.
1) Battery safety is a top priority. There should be some instruction on it. Here's a good blog to get you started...Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

2) Should inquire how much a new vaper has smoked (if they have) and whether they'd be likely to prefer a MTL setup or a DL setup. If they are unsure, I think an inexpensive box mod with a sub0hm tank and a MTL tank is the most inexpensive way to find their preference. They can always use one as a backup if they prefer one style or another. That is just my opinion, though....

3) Different types of e-liquids including Nicotine salts and WTA as well as explaining the need for lower nic on a high powered setup, and higher nic with a lower cost setup.

4) There is a pinned post here but basically also, what to expect when starting vaping and sx of nicotine overload as well as the need to hydrate, and what to expect during detox.

5) If you sell mech mods, full primer (and written information) on ohm's law , battery rewraps, and other safety issues.

6) If buying more complicated equipment, maybe a list of trustworthy review/demo youtube videos, so they can get help quickly if running into problems.

7) If they are buying a TC mod, instructions on TC including types of wire that are safe to use...

This list is getting long! But those are the things I can think of, off the top of my head...

Anna

Reactions: Vaping_Otaku

Vaping_Otaku

Feb 3, 2018
Thank you all for the information. I do ask their habits and explain about battery safety, device usage and nicotine strength, mostly selling 80w devices and 3-6mg e-liquid. a lot of people ask why tanks leak and I explain about coils and tank pressure, I just feel that most of what I tell them goes in one ear and out the other. most people just want a device and don't want to do anything to it, just for it to work all the time and not run out of battery. I don't want to tell them anything too advanced as this may dissuade them from even giving vaping a chance. When you all started, what was the most annoying thing about vaping to you? and if you have heard from anyone recently, their opinion as well? I hope by finding out what they didn't like I may be able to have the answer before they even have the problem.

Reactions: stols001

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I can tell you from my experience the issue with my local vape shop was that they did not really explain anything from the very beginning. That is why I ended up with store bought stuff and then egos through the mail My experience might be different than other shops but it was basically a bunch of guys bragging about how strong their equipment was. All they wanted to do was show me stuff and sell me stuff and it was overwhelming and irritating. I'm not the type of person to be easily intimidated (but many others are), and the lack of finding out what would work for me is one of the reasons I joined the forum so I could ask questions and become educated. And that shop actually lost my business. It is located so close to me and I have not been in there in years. I walk right past it almost daily.

If I owned or worked in a shop I'd want to quickly assess the new vaper. If I am giving them great service they are going to come back to me. Is he or she a former cigarette smoker? Is the customer comfortable with taking things apart or just looking for an easy instant solution? Are they at all technical or all thumbs? Is the customer someone who just wants the latest equipment to be "in"? Are they looking for a vape and go solution or do they want something that will last?

I think that once some basic info is assessed then maybe you have prepared checkpoints to go over with them tailored for their level. You could even have cheat cards behind the counter to know what to cover.

If they are a novice I do not think, for example, that there should be a huge discussion on batteries and going on and on about Ohm's law. I am certainly not downplaying the importance but the novice, for example is most likely not using a mechanical build at this point. When I first went to the vape shop I mentioned I was using an ego and wanted something "better." All they wanted to do was tell me about current and stuff and bringing out these huge crazy looking things. Any of the info they shared mainly applied to the huge mech mods they were using not my little ego.

As a novice I think many are very concerned with how the device works, how and when to fill it, how and when to change the coil and what level of nic they should be at - how to use it. So for a novice , for example, the focus should be on what they are looking for (likely ease of use) and then you have "the conversation" about safety letting them know that the requirements change depending on what they are using and tailor your conversation accordingly to what they are using. During the safety portion of the conversation, I would have also liked for someone to just TELL ME what resistance to use and warn me not to go below XX resistance or above XX resistance and explain that there is a calculator for that as I became more advanced. I would also explain that there are protections built in - that was something I really worried about! And if the shop has an online presence I would explain how to order the stuff online or if they can pay and come pick it up.

After I helped them select something, would kind of build them up and let them know that as they get more comfortable their options are almost limitless. Then I would close by exciting them and showing them some really cool stuff that they can build up to (removable batteries ---making your own stuff etc).

If the shop I mentioned even did a small portion of what I mentioned I would have still been a customer spending lots of $'s and the shop would make money off of me and the people I would have recommended them to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread