New member, veteran vaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I am a writer for a magazine, so at times I can be a bit wordy. I have found some that is just about spot on for flavor. Also, I can find it in my 24mg strength, so no chemistry for me as of yet. That being said, I've actually considered making my own juice. I just wouldn't know where to start. As I'm typing this, however, it just occurred to me that I'm on a vaping forum, and I may be able to find information on that very thing!

Thanks for the freezing tip. I hadn't considered that.
Hello SWboats and welcome to ECF!!! :D

DIY stuff you may like/find helpful...

Direct link to a PDF file for getting started with DIY DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Tons of helpful info DIY E-Liquid

A great place to start and ask questions Random DIY mixing and More

Swboats

May 4, 2020

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
After an initial outlay, figuring out what flavor profiles you like, and your ability to mix, significantly less.

Some of us have nic stored until for when we die but you don't have to get to that step quite yet, I'd think. It is cheaper.

Many folks will also start with one shots (premixed flavor to add to the nicotine base) and doing that can be useful at times. There are some really good and really bad ones out there, I'd say the biggest outlay other than initial expenses (which don't have to be a TON, really, you can get graduated syringes (not with needles but you don't necessarily need them) free from Walmart pharmacy for example.

Anna

Swboats

May 4, 2020
After an initial outlay, figuring out what flavor profiles you like, and your ability to mix, significantly less.

Some of us have nic stored until for when we die but you don't have to get to that step quite yet, I'd think. It is cheaper.

Many folks will also start with one shots (premixed flavor to add to the nicotine base) and doing that can be useful at times. There are some really good and really bad ones out there, I'd say the biggest outlay other than initial expenses (which don't have to be a TON, really, you can get graduated syringes (not with needles but you don't necessarily need them) free from Walmart pharmacy for example.

Anna
Gotcha. The cost of the e-liquids has never been an issue for me, but the availability has recently become an issue. I didn't see that one coming. And with the current "war on vaping", I'm concerned that it may continue to be an issue. That said, if I were able to mix up a gallon of my own stuff, that would be a one more thing I no longer need to worry about. One of my biggest fears is getting to a point where I can no longer vape, and I'm left with the choice to either quit or go back to analog cigarettes, neither of which makes me happy. I'm typically going through 40 or so milliliters per month, which is almost exactly one pint, or a half quart. So a one gallon batch gets me what, 8 years or so? I'm all in on that unless there is a storage issue. Up front costs vs long term savings I can imagine would be a no-brainer!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    "war on vaping"
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    , if I were able to mix up a gallon of my own stuff,
    The most important thing about storage is keep it cool and dark. It's not really a good idea to store a whole gallon all in one bottle, which should be glass. A good thing would be to break that large batch down into smaller bottles, like 120 ml or so. As well as light and high temperatures being bad for nic juice, so is oxygen. As far as temperature, either a freezer or fridge is OK. Here (on ECF), there's some on one side and some on the other. Heck, even a cool dark closet is OK. Consistency is the key.

Swboats

May 4, 2020
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The most important thing about storage is keep it cool and dark. It's not really a good idea to store a whole gallon all in one bottle, which should be glass. A good thing would be to break that large batch down into smaller bottles, like 120 ml or so. As well as light and high temperatures being bad for nic juice, so is oxygen. As far as temperature, either a freezer or fridge is OK. Here (on ECF), there's some on one side and some on the other. Heck, even a cool dark closet is OK. Consistency is the key.
    Someone earlier in the thread recommended freezing it. I hadn't considered that because I assumed the propylene glycol wouldn't freeze, hence its use in antifreeze. I've no idea what the freezing point is of vegetable glycerine. Do the unmixed components deteriorate as well? If I had all three stored in separate containers in a cool dark space, that would be virtually no different than having a mixed liquid. Hell, I could make 6 months worth at a time and it seems I'd be good to go!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    A consistent low temp and as little light and oxygen as possible make nicotine and nicotine containing juices last longer, but is important for PG and VG as well. There are tons of discussions on this subject. There is a member in particular that comes to mind who has done extensive experimenting about this. I've only had one cup of coffee so far, and it'll take two or three more to get my brain to work, then I might remember who it is.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That would be the one, OP that thread will answer all your questions in a very detailed way.

It's best to keep your nic frozen, in glass. It won't freeze completely but it will get sort of gloopy. That thread has all sorts of pretty pictures of what oxidized nic is like.

I keep premade base (I usually use around the same flavor percentage for my mixes so I do keep premixed base in my fridge. it's easier for mixing.) The rest is frozen and mostly in glass. I need to order a few more glass bottles but I have not done so yet. I really should. Most plastic leeches over time although there are debates about PET or something I think.

Anna

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Anna

I hardly use syringes at all, been mixing by weight most of the time. Might not be 100% accurate when it comes to flavouring since the compositiotion of different flavouring varies but as long as they are PG based you can get very close to what you're trying to achieve. But seriously, I doubt there's any noticable difference between 70VG liquing and 69VG liquid so even of you're away by 1% it won't change anything

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Someone earlier in the thread recommended freezing it. I hadn't considered that because I assumed the propylene glycol wouldn't freeze, hence its use in antifreeze. I've no idea what the freezing point is of vegetable glycerine. Do the unmixed components deteriorate as well? If I had all three stored in separate containers in a cool dark space, that would be virtually no different than having a mixed liquid. Hell, I could make 6 months worth at a time and it seems I'd be good to go!

Hi, by freezing I meant storing in the freezer. Neither PG nor VG will freeze as VG has even lower freezing point than PG. It's more about the temperature you store it at: home freezers reach like -18C as far as I remember, so storing liquids or separate components at that temperature will cause them to deteriorate much slower. Slower than in a cool dark place and slower than in the fridge. Especially the nicotine is light and temperature sensitive so it will go off the fastest. Also happens to be the most expensive, dependng how expensive the flavour concentrates you use are.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread