New Mod User, Needing Help On A Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briguy82

Oct 17, 2013
A, A
Ok so I got my first rebuildable atty last night. Managed to burn up my only coil that came with it.

Soo, I decided to strip down some 12 gauge electrical wire. Cut the insulation and pulled a strand. To my surprise I built a great coil!

My question is, is it safe and ok to use this wire from the electrical lead? It tastes the same as the kanthal that came with my AGA T-2 atty. Please help! Thank you.

Last edited:

Briguy82

Oct 17, 2013
A, A
Ummm... well, it's gotta be better than the smokes, right?!? I wouldn't recommend using it for too long though. Get some Kanthal A1 or Nichrome quick.

Do you have a ohm meter or do you check it using your mod?

Yes,
I pulled my AGA off and hooked it to my LeCig VV. Came in at 1.6 oHms. With the kanthal I was provided (before it burnt) it was reading 1.5 oHms.

I've been reasearching everywhere and can't find a legitament article on this. Has no one tried it? HoosierVapes couldn't give me a straight answer either.

Briguy82

Oct 17, 2013
A, A
Ummm... well, it's gotta be better than the smokes, right?!? I wouldn't recommend using it for too long though. Get some Kanthal A1 or Nichrome quick.

Do you have a ohm meter or do you check it using your mod?

No man STOP. It doesn't have the same resistance and you're asking for trouble. Just go to a B&M and spend 10 bucks.

What exactly is the difference between Kanthal and a stranded electrical wire besides the ohms? They're both conductive.. Is there harmful coatings on the stranded 12 awg wire?

Briguy82

Oct 17, 2013
A, A
Heh... this is a first for me too. I have wondered about it before though. You're using copper wire then?

No it wasn't copper.. The leads came from some electrical wiring I use on my Lipo batteries for electric rc planes. They looked silver, but not copper. If it was sitting next to a strand of 28 awg kanthal you couldn't tell a difference.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Really?!? Maybe try logging off and then back on? There was mention about the server here updating profiles at 25 after every hour, might have to wait a bit... try logging out/in and see what happens.

I would try that- logging off then back on.

arilen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bryan, Texas
A dead short means that there is nothing stopping the energy of the battery from overloading , if you keep doing it your battery may go BOOM, and i'm not joking , these battery have some serious energy in them and can melt down and catch fire or worse, only use things that are ment for vaping unless you know what you are doing.

please don't give the people who think vaping is bad any more reasons to look down on it.

Briguy82

Oct 17, 2013
A, A
A dead short means that there is nothing stopping the energy of the battery from overloading , if you keep doing it your battery may go BOOM, and i'm not joking , these battery have some serious energy in them and can melt down and catch fire or worse, only use things that are ment for vaping unless you know what you are doing.

please don't give the people who think vaping is bad any more reasons to look down on it.

Well,
I try not to make anyone look bad. This is my first build, and I've already spent a grip of cash on the accessories. At the same time, I'm trying not to give my wife any reason to look down on vaping either. So, by cutting down on costs and building coil out of electrical wire I already own. So it's a give and take situation on my behalf.

So far I haven't seen any indications on my battery blowing up. No swelling, over heating, or fumes. Not to mention I'm utilizing a Kamry fuse, and it hasn't popped yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread