New Modder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
I saw it. Oldest mod ever huh? No wonder I don't know what it is LOL. In any case, it appears to be a relatively simple mod... Everything works perfect with the 3.7v sleeve, so it can't be the fault of the switch section or top. The only thing I can think is it would be the ground connection is either collapsed or corroded in some way in the extention, preventing it from completing the circuit.

EDIT: Do you have a flashlight or some way to see down into the 6v extension tube? What does the spring look like? Over a long period of time springs tend to wear and flatten down, which could cause it.

Last edited:

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
Exactly what I was thinking.. The spring just has to touch the bottom right? I have a feeling it has somthing to do with the batts, because the ground connection LOOKS great. Is your avatar name the weight of an proton or electron? lol, just thought I'd ask. Anyway, if I take pics of the batts, would you be able to tell me if there the right ones for 6v's?

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Exactly what I was thinking.. The spring just has to touch the bottom right? I have a feeling it has somthing to do with the batts, because the ground connection LOOKS great. Is your avatar name the weight of an proton or electron? lol, just thought I'd ask. Anyway, if I take pics of the batts, would you be able to tell me if there the right ones for 6v's?

LOL No my username has nothing to do with the periodic table. I could look up the batteries in just a sec. If the spring is flattened down even just a little bit it can prevent the batteries from pressing up against the positive terminal at the top.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Is there a way to test if the batt is working, without a meter? Like with a lightbulb?

Not really... at least not accurate enough to help. Regular light bulbs are 110v input. LED's will turn on will a little over a volt, maybe 2 at the most. However if a 3.7v battery goes below about 3 volts, its pretty much shot. ***Unless its IMR, and even then the absolute lowest is 2.5v.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Well thanks anyway, I'm sure I'll get it working. Can you overcharge batts? Even if the light turns green on the charger?

Yea you sure can...Most battery chargers continue to charge, at a slower rate, even after the light turns green. It's the default method to make sure the battery stays "topped up", but it generally does more harm than good. You want to pop the batteries off as soon as is reasonable after the light turns green.

EDIT: Also, some chargers have a switch on the side to change the voltage setting for different batteries. A while back I killed 4 14500's because I didn't know about the switch on the side to set it from 3.2v to 3.7v... LMAO!

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
lol, so my 3.2's could be over charging? I'm using the kit charger; the black charger that has room for one batt, that has a slider for varying sizes? How would I know if it's somthing with the bottom connection? It's connected at the bottom, but could there be other higns I am missing? The two batts seemed to be charged fully?

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
You would need a multimeter. Set it to check voltage. Put the batteries down inside the extension tube but don't attach it to the PV. With the batteries in the tube, touch the red lead to the positive terminal of the top battery, and the black lead to the body. If they are fully charged 3.2v batteries you should get at least 6.4v reading or a little over. If it shows nothing, then it isn't grounding.

Now even if you do get a perfect reading, if the spring is flattened down to far, it may not be pressing the batteries up enough to create a solid connection to the positive terminal. When you screw the switch section onto the extension, can you feel an obvious resistance from the batteries pressing against the positive terminal in the switch assembly?

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
Yes, they are definitly touching the top, the spring is very strong and raised. COuld thehouseofvapor.com have sent me used/ bad batts? I put them in the charger, then a few minutes later the light turns green, then I take them out, put them back in the charger, and the light is back to red again.. Can you buy protected batts at home depot or hardware stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread