Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Hey! I've been vaping since 2011 and looking at replacing some old stuff. They got me setup with a new box in the other forum a few days ago. I got the Aegis Solo and I like it. I'll probably order at least one more.

I've been puffing away with my old gear for years now, so I'm trying to catch up before everything breaks. So, I want to find a couple of RTAs. I'm currently using a Griffin 25mm dual coil tank (but I only put one coil in and block the other hole). I vape relatively low wattage (25ish W 0.6ish ohm coil). I've got a few of these tanks and a bunch of replacement glass, so I'm not expecting them to die anytime soon.

Looking at what's available I see a lot of mesh RTAs. What's up with those? Do people still use coils or are they dinosaurs now? Is it worth trying the mesh and learning how to build those, or should I just stick with the old geezer coils?

Thanks!

Edit: I posted this in the wrong place and now I can't delete. Sorry!

Reactions: stols001

Toots

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
USA
I am an old timey vaper and was happily vaping with my round wire builds at relatively low wattage (even lower than your preference). Not too long ago I won a mesh rta and it opened a whole new world for me. There are some really nice mesh rdas and rtas out there and I have acquired quite a few since. The mesh strips that fit the recent rdas and rtas are a snap to pop in and seem to last forever with a quick burn and rewick. There are top air and bottom air selections. I loved fresh wire coils so I would even rebuild coils every day or two. The mesh strips last me for a month or two once I got the wicking down and I like clean coils.

My favorites right now are Profiles (bottom air) and Kylin M (top air). There are a variety of mesh strip choices even SS. The suggested wattage on most mesh coils is 45 to 65. I personally vape 30-35 watts on rdas never need over 40-45 on the rtas.
I have to say that I got hooked on the mesh and that is what I have had currently loaded on all of my vapes and have ever since that first mesh tank. With mesh I love that vapor. And I am hooked on mesh squonking on mechs and regulated squonkers too.
I am sure others will probably be able to add their wisdom on their mesh adventure. They may have a wider range of mesh experience and wisdom than I have. I found what tickles my vape fancy and I just stuck with it. I am stocked.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The mesh rebuildables are definitely worth it. I love my profile rda, I don’t use rta’s very much but the profile rta is supposed to be on par with the rda so that means it’s stellar. Mesh as a coil produces excellent flavor and vapor. It ramps up immediately and can be vaped at medium low watts. I vape my various mesh coiled atomizers around 40-60 watts and get a great vape. They have a ton of surface area and because the wires themselves are small diameter the hit is instantaneous. Mesh is superior to all other mediums currently in use by the vape industry.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some folks love it some hate it. I would do some experimenting if you can get a newer RTA that uses coils, and one with mesh. Only way to find out in my opinion...

With that said I am a MTL vaper, mesh really isn't my thing other than the nautilus now makes a new drop in mesh coil. It is rather nice.

Anna

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I am an old timey vaper and was happily vaping with my round wire builds at relatively low wattage (even lower than your preference). Not too long ago I won a mesh rta and it opened a whole new world for me. There are some really nice mesh rdas and rtas out there and I have acquired quite a few since. The mesh strips that fit the recent rdas and rtas are a snap to pop in and seem to last forever with a quick burn and rewick. There are top air and bottom air selections. I loved fresh wire coils so I would even rebuild coils every day or two. The mesh strips last me for a month or two once I got the wicking down and I like clean coils.

My favorites right now are Profiles (bottom air) and Kylin M (top air). There are a variety of mesh strip choices even SS. The suggested wattage on most mesh coils is 45 to 65. I personally vape 30-35 watts on rdas never need over 40-45 on the rtas.
I have to say that I got hooked on the mesh and that is what I have had currently loaded on all of my vapes and have ever since that first mesh tank. With mesh I love that vapor. And I am hooked on mesh squonking on mechs and regulated squonkers too.
I am sure others will probably be able to add their wisdom on their mesh adventure. They may have a wider range of mesh experience and wisdom than I have. I found what tickles my vape fancy and I just stuck with it. I am stocked.

Thanks for that very detailed answer! My coils last forever, so it's hard to imagine something lasting longer! I use wrapped wire and just burn off every now and then and rewick. I may try out some mesh based on the responses here.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
yes, big ressurgance with the pod craze

18350 mechs with tootly rta are popular again :)

I have no interest in the pods, lol. I saw so many starter kits with them though. I went to rebuildable very quickly to cut down reliance on things that might eventually get banned.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Mesh is nice. It is easy to install and gives good flavor. Wicking can be tricky, but after a few tries it's not a big deal anymore. I go back and forth between mesh and wrapped coils constantly. I don't think I could rely on only having mesh based toppers, but having one or two in rotation is definitely worth it. I still have a preference to semi restricted single coil flavor chaser atties, but mesh is a nice change of pace occasionally.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Pre-made Clapton coils, etc. are cheap these days.

Clapton wire is what I use, but I just bought a roll of it a while back. Takes a minute to make a coil and they last forever (for me at least).

Temperature control was just starting to be a thing when I faded out of the boards. I never bothered with it and I just continue to use kanthal.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Coppervape Hussar Project X Styled RTA has gotten good reviews, along with the 4ml tank extender.

There's a solid thread on it here at ecf. It's supposed to work well for both mtl and dl.

Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

I ordered one this week, from ft. There's a version that's specifically mtl, I ordered the other one (that covers mtl & dl).

I'd you're in the mtl to restricted dl zone, I've also been very happy with the vapefly galaxies mtl rdta. With the side airflow screws open I find it a high flavor restricted dl. Tank size is small, only 2ml - I use it with a squonk pin (comes with the tank).

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The characteristics of mesh is low mass, high surface area. This allows medium to low wattage that produces a fair amount of vapor production. Heat up and cool down is almost instant providing a consistent vape. I personally find the flavour to be excellent. Won’t say it’s better than a typical coil, but different. That difference must have value to the end user.

Some negatives of mesh are, due to its low mass, it is highly influenced by air flow which can prohibit the mesh strip of reaching higher temperatures. If you enjoy a warmer vape, mesh may not be your preference. Mesh is also more dependent on proper wicking. Any voids between the mesh strip and cotton wick will result in hot spots which could very give you a dry hit. Dry hits with mesh are brutal! But wicking is not difficult. The strips are not as durable as a typical coil, so a little care is needed when working on your atomizer. Any deformation with the strip can also lead to hot spots, thus dry hits. Damage usually results in replacing the strip. But sans any dings and dents, the strip can last a few months. Burning off juice gunk should be performed at low wattage and not to glow the strip red hot.

Some view the amount of needed wicking as a negative – the typical mesh strips of recent designs takes approx. 3x more cotton than a 3mm ID coil. But the wicking lasts much longer than a typical coil…avoiding dry burns of course.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
The characteristics of mesh is low mass, high surface area. This allows medium to low wattage that produces a fair amount of vapor production. Heat up and cool down is almost instant providing a consistent vape. I personally find the flavour to be excellent. Won’t say it’s better than a typical coil, but different. That difference must have value to the end user.

Some negatives of mesh are, due to its low mass, it is highly influenced by air flow which can prohibit the mesh strip of reaching higher temperatures. If you enjoy a warmer vape, mesh may not be your preference. Mesh is also more dependent on proper wicking. Any voids between the mesh strip and cotton wick will result in hot spots which could very give you a dry hit. Dry hits with mesh are brutal! But wicking is not difficult. The strips are not as durable as a typical coil, so a little care is needed when working on your atomizer. Any deformation with the strip can also lead to hot spots, thus dry hits. Damage usually results in replacing the strip. But sans any dings and dents, the strip can last a few months. Burning off juice gunk should be performed at low wattage and not to glow the strip red hot.

Some view the amount of needed wicking as a negative – the typical mesh strips of recent designs takes approx. 3x more cotton than a 3mm ID coil. But the wicking lasts much longer than a typical coil…avoiding dry burns of course.

Thanks! Very useful information!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Coppervape Hussar Project X Styled RTA has gotten good reviews, along with the 4ml tank extender.

There's a solid thread on it here at ecf. It's supposed to work well for both mtl and dl.

Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

I ordered one this week, from ft. There's a version that's specifically mtl, I ordered the other one (that covers mtl & dl).

I'd you're in the mtl to restricted dl zone, I've also been very happy with the vapefly galaxies mtl rdta. With the side airflow screws open I find it a high flavor restricted dl. Tank size is small, only 2ml - I use it with a squonk pin (comes with the tank).

I came across that one when I was googling. I'll prowl through that thread in more detail.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Hey! I've been vaping since 2011 and looking at replacing some old stuff. They got me setup with a new box in the other forum a few days ago. I got the Aegis Solo and I like it. I'll probably order at least one more.

I've been puffing away with my old gear for years now, so I'm trying to catch up before everything breaks. So, I want to find a couple of RTAs. I'm currently using a Griffin 25mm dual coil tank (but I only put one coil in and block the other hole). I vape relatively low wattage (25ish W 0.6ish ohm coil). I've got a few of these tanks and a bunch of replacement glass, so I'm not expecting them to die anytime soon.

Looking at what's available I see a lot of mesh RTAs. What's up with those? Do people still use coils or are they dinosaurs now? Is it worth trying the mesh and learning how to build those, or should I just stick with the old geezer coils?

Thanks!

Edit: I posted this in the wrong place and now I can't delete. Sorry!
You sound a lot like me. I have the Solo --- like it. I also purchased the 2 battery Legend and really like that one. And I purchased the VandyVape Jackaroo which is compared to the Solo and I like the Jackaroo a bit better and it takes a 21700 battery. I, too, have been using a Griffin 25 RTA. I had 2 of them but the airflow base went bad on one of them and I can't find just the base part. I had written to Geekvape and got irritated because they want a video before they'd help me even though I was very clear about what part I need so for the past 6 months or so I have been trying other RTA's.

Anyhow I vape 25 to 30 watts and about the same ohms as you. I have not tried mesh and so far I have no real big desire to. Shoot I just got good at building regular coils and just do not see the need right now. I purchased the pre-coiled coils and I have a few hundred of them! The Griffin 25 holds a decent amount of juice and I like that. Even though most of the newer tanks are top-filling I still prefer a larger, top-filling tank.

I use the Steamcrave RDTA and I like that one. Great flavor --similar deck to the Griffin but smaller deck it also takes drop-in-coils which is nice to carry one around in case of anything. And it does not leak. But it is bottom filling. Much as I love the Griffin --- if it is not wicked perfectly I found it can leak.

I also like the VandyVape Revolver. That one is on sale now for $5.99 Vandy Vape Revolver RTA so it is cheap enough to try it out. NO leaks. I use that one daily. And I have 2 backups of it. But it is single coil. Do not know if you like that because you are using dual. I have the dual Zeus X RTA and I'd say to save your money -- I'm not impressed. I tried the Siren V2 -- like that. I have a bunch of others that I have purchased on sale to try out different ones so that I can get a feel of what will work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread