New Ovale eGo-C changeble system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
It makes sense to do the burn first then clean. I do a burn first & then soak in hot PG.
Again I ask do you take the needle plate off ?? I do take the needle plate off and just rinse the atty in water, blow dry it and and make sure its dry, then do a dry burn, with the needle plate off and rinse it again or sometimes just blow off the ash off after dry burning, then I put the needle plate with the wick in hot water and swish it around and let it dry before priming,then put the needle plate back on. . With you soaking yours in PG then it is already primed (good Idea)

Again I am wondering if some people just dry burn the atty without taking the C-atty apart, and how that works for them.

Last edited:

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
Again I maybe talking rubbish as I haven't got these to try but my experience with eGo-T's is you are better off giving them a good rinse and a flick dry before removing the plate. It seems (to me) to lessen the chance of the wick being stuck to the coil by gunk, and therefore pulling the wick out of the plate. Just sayin'. :)

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Again I maybe talking rubbish as I haven't got these to try but my experience with eGo-T's is you are better off giving them a good rinse and a flick dry before removing the plate. It seems (to me) to lessen the chance of the wick being stuck to the coil by gunk, and therefore pulling the wick out of the plate. Just sayin'. :)
I agree, that is the problem I have, is the wick sticks to the gunk and when I pull the needle plate off it pulls some of the wick out of the needle and you have a wick with only 1/2 the strands, or it pulls all of it out and it's very difficult to put it all back together and put it back in the needle. I have a few of he C's that I just could not get the wick back together so they are shot, but the coil is still good.

Riffy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
New Orleans
I don't take the plates off anymore because I've pulled the wicks out of a few now. I have yet to figure out how to get a wick back into the plate. So, I'm getting a small collection of good coils that are wick free.

Now, I just dry burn em till they glow pretty good and stop smoking, then I drop em in a pill bottle half full of white vinegar till I'm ready to rinse em. I vape some pretty thick juices and the vinegar helps remove the tastes of what was in it. Cinnamon roll is a bad one... it's super dark and hard to get rid of the taste. Vinegar has worked well for me, just have to rinse them real good after, but it does a really good job of destroying the old flavors & smells. Dip the tanks in vinegar too when I rinse em.

As a side note: So far so good with the ego-c for me. Will never go back to carts, they were too much work. An occasional leak is way better than the fuss of the carts and the taste seems cleaner. When I get a leak I just pop on a new soft cap and it's all good again.

Need to buy a 2nd cone, I broke one, and I can't get it to reliably work anymore. I have been holding back though thinking the larger type B tanks would have come out by now. I had it in my pocket & bent down, and I guess the force pulled the connections apart in the cone if you're wondering how I broke it. No matter what it just won't stay together as it did. Now I know not to put force on them like that, cuz they can be pulled apart. Keep looking at the lanyard but can't picture it hanging around my neck LOL.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I have dry burned without disassembly quite a bit with very limited success.
That's been my experience too, if I don't pull the needle plate then I don't get a real good dry burn to clean the coil very good. But I do have a problem with the wick sticking to the gunk around the coil and pulling the dang wick out when I pull the needle valve, sometimes I can put it back and sometimes not, and end up with a good dry burned coil and a shot needle plate with no wick.

DonD13

Aug 25, 2010
Illinois
I have the replacement down. I actually haven't had any stick to the C attys, but used to have it happen all the time with the cone attys. But I take them out to clean them anyway.

Once I have rinsed off the wick, I place it on a paper towel and I roll it back and forth with my finger against the paper towel (using only slight pressure). This makes sure it is formed and in a condition where I can insert it back into the needle.

I then place it in my tweezers so that the very bottom of the mesh is in the tweezers and I simply insert it back into the needle. If you roll out the wick to thin and it fits loose in the needle, you can use the end of a paper clip and poke it down into the needle from the top and sort of flatten out the mesh so it fits tighter.

Of course if the wick separates from the mesh when you pull it off the atty you are screwed as far as I know. I know people have found mesh and rebuilt them (sort of), but that is much more trouble than I am willing to go to in order to save $6. So when an atty finally goes bad, be sure to save the wick out of it.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Haha. I was actually cleaning some attys and right after I made the post above, I opened one up that had a wick stuck to the coil. I ended up pulling out the atty coil with the wick. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the alcohol soaking was disintegrating the wicks?

Never seen that - perhaps isopropyl, but grain/151 vodka cleans wicks and coils just fine for me.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Soak the "C" Atty's in Grain alcohol, and that will definitely minimize the chances that the wick will stick to the coil, when removing the plate. Or as Sammy recommends, "Boil Them"
I tried soaking in Grain alcohol for a short period of time and the wick pulled out of the needle. Maybe I need to soak it longer. Usually when I pull the needle plate off, it pulls the wick out and is stuck to the coil in a good size mass of gunk. I have after taking the needle plate off and have the coil exposed so I can see it clearly, I have found nothing, alky,boiling, ultrasonic cleaning, does anything to remove the gunk. Only dry burning and turning the gunk into ash will remove it.

sammy43

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I lost my first LR atty today. This particular one has lasted me since November! The coil was simply worn out and just stopped working. I had cleaned it many times and the spike plate/wick was actually still good. I saved the spike plate and transferred it to another atty that had a rough wick and I am now back in business using that atty that is also 4 months old.

I consider four months to be a pretty good longevity for these atty's! Still pleased with my eGo-C. :D

RedZone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
Sammy that is amazing! I have been lazy when it comes to maintenance on Atty's, I just don't want to spend the time I guess... I was just dry burning until the Atty coil and wick "Gunked" up enough to diminish performance, and pitched them. That usually got 5-6 days out of an Atty.

I have more recently started soaking the Atty's in grain alcohol over night (every night), and then blowing them out, and dry burning in the morning before I start vaping for the day. I am proud to say I am on my 3rd week on the same Atty now.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Sammy that is amazing! I have been lazy when it comes to maintenance on Atty's, I just don't want to spend the time I guess... I was just dry burning until the Atty coil and wick "Gunked" up enough to diminish performance, and pitched them. That usually got 5-6 days out of an Atty.

I have more recently started soaking the Atty's in grain alcohol over night (every night), and then blowing them out, and dry burning in the morning before I start vaping for the day. I am proud to say I am on my 3rd week on the same Atty now.
I will try the soaking and dry burning. That is very good 3 weeks on the same atty. I usually get 5 days or so and then I need to take it apart and clean/dry burn, IF the wick doesn't stick to the coil and pull it out of the needle plate. If it does, like you do I just pitch it and put in a new one. THANKS for your info on what you do, I'm sure it will help others who use the C-atty. I really like the C-atty's, and tank with no filler material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread