New RDA or RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
i might be buying a new rda or try an rta next week but was wondering which should i invest in this case.

1. i vape on the go an at home but MOSTLY at home. if i am not at home i usually can drip in general it's not a problem.

2. currently got a mutation xs which is basically mutation v4 mini and it leaks a lot due to the bottom air holes tried many things but it keeps leaking eventually.

3. i want to start getting into cloud chasing.

which would you recommend a new rda or an rta? never did much research on rta's but they basically look like an rda with a tank aspect not sure if it would be the same vapor production and flavor or they are different.

would also appreciate rda/rta suggestions for cloud chasing and if possible any good clones. not looking for anyting competition wise not into that i just like clouds

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
how are they compared to rda's? i mean are they basically the same just no dripping or do rta's provide less vapor?

Most of my RDAs are geared towards flavor instead of clouds. I can say the Aromamizer can really chuck some clouds though. One reviewer was running it at 165W! I'm a weenie so 50-60W is good for me, lol!

Reactions: Vapin Dave

serene.in.dallas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
yea i think rda's simply provide better clouds compared to rta's. i was looking at that aromamizer that thing looks sick. not sure what i would be more interested in getting at this point. rta aromamizer for sure, rda not sure any suggestions on RDA's for cloud chasing? preferably cheap clones are welcomed lol

Ya, your right. RTA's are really just sub tanks that you can dial the build in. For RDA's just get the tried and true, the velocity clone by tobeco. It puts off good flavor and can really produce alot of vapor with a good build. It also has the secondary air holes you can open up for more airflow and bigger clouds but it obviously diminishes the flavor some. Wotofo Lush or Troll are also nice ones, if you go with the Troll just be sure to get the Troll specific chuff cap. The Twisted Messes RDA is awesome, my favorite so far, and there are clones out there if you want to save money. Whats your budget?

Reactions: Vapin Dave

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
Ya, your right. RTA's are really just sub tanks that you can dial the build in.

Just for arguments sake, RTA's came way before subohm tanks. Kayfuns, tiafun, Aqua, oddy, etc where all released way before subohm tanks were even an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rednaxela1987

Rednaxela1987

Jul 15, 2015
Olympia, WA
I'm an RTA person myself so I'll answer that part. There are quite a few coming out right now that may interest you:

Aromamizer
Crius
MT by Indulgence
Bellus
Oh man I want the OBS Crius so bad, especially since they fixed the couple issues people had with the initially released version which I believe were post holes not big enough and uh....oh yeah! Not all 510 DTs fit in it so since they fixed those 2 things it looks like just about the best RTA on the market along side the Billow v2 (though the top fill on the Crius might put it on top IMO)

Rednaxela1987

Jul 15, 2015
Olympia, WA
Ya, your right. RTA's are really just sub tanks that you can dial the build in. For RDA's just get the tried and true, the velocity clone by tobeco. It puts off good flavor and can really produce alot of vapor with a good build. It also has the secondary air holes you can open up for more airflow and bigger clouds but it obviously diminishes the flavor some. Wotofo Lush or Troll are also nice ones, if you go with the Troll just be sure to get the Troll specific chuff cap. The Twisted Messes RDA is awesome, my favorite so far, and there are clones out there if you want to save money. Whats your budget?
I would get the Twisted Messes RDA over the Velocity, but thats just my preference, they are both great products!

Rednaxela1987

Jul 15, 2015
Olympia, WA
how are they compared to rda's? i mean are they basically the same just no dripping or do rta's provide less vapor?
Well the main difference is the decks on RDAs are going to be quite a bit bigger than RTA's but of course with a RTA you have the convenience of the full tank, instead of having to drip. Though also wicking can be a bit hard to get right on RTAs because it has to fit into the channels correctly, but that is just part of the learning curve like any aspect of building!

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I just got my new archon by cloud chasers. not sure what this funny taste is but it tastes like metal. I'm assuming it's the cotton they provided in the package with the rda I mean it tastes funky. works good imo although I'm using a single coil instead of the usual duel. I'm surprised the prebuilt coil it came with clocked under 0.5ohms usually I see them at around 1.0ish

Rednaxela1987

Jul 15, 2015
Olympia, WA
I just got my new archon by cloud chasers. not sure what this funny taste is but it tastes like metal. I'm assuming it's the cotton they provided in the package with the rda I mean it tastes funky. works good imo although I'm using a single coil instead of the usual duel. I'm surprised the prebuilt coil it came with clocked under 0.5ohms usually I see them at around 1.0ish
0.5ohm pre builts for rebuildables is the norm lately, glad your enjoying it! Let me know how it tastes once you add some of your own cotton! Might help that funky taste :D Can you post a picture of your new RDA? I have never heard of it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
i might be buying a new rda or try an rta next week but was wondering which should i invest in this case.

1. i vape on the go an at home but MOSTLY at home. if i am not at home i usually can drip in general it's not a problem.

2. currently got a mutation xs which is basically mutation v4 mini and it leaks a lot due to the bottom air holes tried many things but it keeps leaking eventually.

3. i want to start getting into cloud chasing.

which would you recommend a new rda or an rta? never did much research on rta's but they basically look like an rda with a tank aspect not sure if it would be the same vapor production and flavor or they are different.

would also appreciate rda/rta suggestions for cloud chasing and if possible any good clones. not looking for anyting competition wise not into that i just like clouds

tough question;
since you already have an rda, I have a feeling you'll be better off getting a side airflow rda (or one of the newer top-intake airflow rda's)

I can see myself settling down with an rta eventually but first I have to work out what coil i'm satisfied with , and I have to do that with my rda's where everything is accessible for instant rewick and/or recoil

Reactions: jacob bonilla

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
0.5ohm pre builts for rebuildables is the norm lately, glad your enjoying it! Let me know how it tastes once you add some of your own cotton! Might help that funky taste :D Can you post a picture of your new RDA? I have never heard of it.
sorry i don't have a smart phone or camera to take a picture but cloud chasers inc is a well known company. if you google archon rda you see a ton of pictures. i got the white one but the machining on it imo is sloppy. paint on the top where you put in your drip tip is chipping off a little, drip tip has like a little piece that wasn't grind down but it really isn't noticeable, the heat sink has a spot where paint is chipped off, paint on the inside fins for the air flow like it was sloppily painted although it shouldn't have. i know it's not a clone.

other then that meh idc how it looks it works fine and the paint is meh im not so big into paint jobs i mean im pretty sure i will eventually drop the rda or chip the paint off some how plus i use it for my own use.

i think the funky taste was due to not rinsing the parts before using i rinsed it after and rewicked with rayon tastes fine. i didn't rinse the drip tip though and if i use that one over the delrin one it comes with it still has that nasty taste. for an RDA this thing chucks some serious clouds with 1 coil i am REALLY impressed flavor isn't bad either imo.

Rednaxela1987

Jul 15, 2015
Olympia, WA
sorry i don't have a smart phone or camera to take a picture but cloud chasers inc is a well known company. if you google archon rda you see a ton of pictures. i got the white one but the machining on it imo is sloppy. paint on the top where you put in your drip tip is chipping off a little, drip tip has like a little piece that wasn't grind down but it really isn't noticeable, the heat sink has a spot where paint is chipped off, paint on the inside fins for the air flow like it was sloppily painted although it shouldn't have. i know it's not a clone.

other then that meh idc how it looks it works fine and the paint is meh im not so big into paint jobs i mean im pretty sure i will eventually drop the rda or chip the paint off some how plus i use it for my own use.

i think the funky taste was due to not rinsing the parts before using i rinsed it after and rewicked with rayon tastes fine. i didn't rinse the drip tip though and if i use that one over the delrin one it comes with it still has that nasty taste. for an RDA this thing chucks some serious clouds with 1 coil i am REALLY impressed flavor isn't bad either imo.
Nice, I am currently using a single parralell coil in my first RDA as well, a Hellboy clone. Like I said, Parallel 30g single coil 5 wraps reading at 0.65ohms, vaping it 40-45w and its a nice cool vape with clouds for days. I thought my Herakles tank chucked clouds and I had no idea lol.

I got some good vape mail coming tomorrow, excited to try some new e liquids in the RDA :D

Reactions: jacob bonilla

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
not a huge fan of chasing clouds atm I mean I used to think it was nice but I got other things to worry about and unless they start hosting cloud comps in my state which they rarely do then it's meh to me. I'm more of a competitive person when it comes to things like that. I'm sure I will eventually learn and get into it just for fun but not any time soon only been vaping about a month now. I mostly compare flavor with my rda's and tanks rather then clouds my building sucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread