New rda user ohm questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha9

Aug 20, 2018
Hello fellow vape lovers!
I made the jump from sub ohm tanks to my first rda, the hellvape drop dead. However, it was a massive clusterduck from the start tried 2 different coil builds could not get it to work at all after literally hours and two days of tinkering trying to get just one coil working i decided to shelve that rda and come back when i have a LOT more experience with rda's. decided to go all in and bought a bonza rda for the easy build style mainly and as an extra i like huge clouds so the airholes were a nice bonus. after four ruined coils i finally got some dual tri core fused claptons to work and heat "pretty much" evenly and i am actually getting decent clouds and decent flavor. however i like this build to run at 65-70 watts seems to be the best clouds so far then after about a day or so the cloud production goes weird and i have to keep turning the temp up and up just to get the same vapor production? when this happens i examine the cotton to make sure its not burning or anything and they look "normal" not white not even dark brown just the "healthy" darkness of juice if that makes sense? How do i get more vapor production from this setup? I realize the solution most of you will suggest is changing the build to different coils, however this is working and i do not want to mess it up? i will do a rebuild as a last result. i currently have the coil master 7 in 1 preformance coils kit the regular fused claptons are dead by user error and the tri cores are in the current build. any coil build recommendations would be much appreciated! my tank build was FreeMax Mesh Pro Sub-Ohm Tank kanthal triple coils at 55-60 watts decent flavor but more importantly huge clouds not a hot vape. the build i have NOW is dual tri core fused claptons ohming at .105 - .109 im using a regulated t-priv 220w mod with dual samsung 30q 18650 batteries from all i have read on ohm's law i am safe until raising the wattage above 115. my question is basically what should this build be ran at in watts? from what i have read 95-100 watts should be optimal for this build but i am truly wary about such high temps. the one or two times i have gone that high the vape is SUPER hot and makes my lungs feel really heavy and make the pressure in my lungs feel strange. i am still learning so i do not know the danger signs from normality when vaping this hot. can anyone give me pointers?

Reactions: stols001

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
You would get cooler vape by raising the resistance and lowering the power. You will gwet more vapor production with more surface area in a higher build also. I like .2-.4 dual builds on regulated devices. I usually use tri core NI80 FC on my duals. Try a 6 or 7 wrap pair. There is no real need to build that low on a regulated mod because you can turn up the power. On a mechanical that is just dangerous. The Sub Ohm tank race to the bottom is confusing people new to building. Building that low and using that much power will just give you a hot nasty vape.
20180420_090920.jpg

These are the ones I mentioned big warm (not hot) clouds. 70-80 watts. I forget the resistance though. Between .2 and .25 I believe.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Alpha9 said:
im using a regulated t-priv 220w mod with dual samsung 30q 18650 batteries from all i have read on ohm's law i am safe until raising the wattage above 115.

I agree with what @Skunk! said. Higher resistance coils and lower wattage settings will allow for a cooler vape.

I use 0.6 ohms (1.2 ohm each x2 coils) simple coils at 30 watts. It's a cool vape.

IMO, you are pushing your Samsung 30Q batteries a little too hard at the wattage settings you are using. Using two Samsung 18650 30Q 3000mAh 15 amp batteries will be good for up to 90 watts (45 watts x2). We only use Ohm's Law for mechanical mods, for regulated mods we use Watt's Law. Look for my post in this thread: Need to talk to Mooch

Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 18650…a great 15A/20 battery!

"...this is not a high performance “power” cell, designed for high current. It is a high capacity “energy” cell designed for low to moderate power levels and long running time. At higher current levels the voltage sag and power loss in the cell are huge." -- Mooch

Last edited:

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Thank you for the help. I took one coil off build now reading .21 ohm vaping at 65 watts flavor is a lot better and vape production is great for me. I will be aiming at higher resistance in the future.
How many wraps do you have on the coil? The point I was trying to make with higher resistance was raising the metal mass. By removing one of the coils and dropping the wattage you have kept it the same power ratio but cut vapor production by half. Try building a new set of duals with 6-8 wraps instead. It will drain batteries but no faster than your current setup. It will also handle wattage better. My dual coil RDAs are used on occasion for massive cloud builds. I usually use single coil RDAs but sometimes need lungbuster dual coils. Since you are using a regulated device and want clouds, don't worry about trying for low resistance and build for surface area. Higher resistance will allow for more voltage per wattage and allow you to trick more useful power from your build. I know it can get frustrating at first, but stick with it and when it you figure it out and it all clicks it will be worth it.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Some good wire for low resistance are quad core FC These are .14
20180628_182928.jpg

They are flat and very wide and relatively low mass compared to these aliens that were .1 ohms.
20180409_084158.jpg

They were thick and massive and took a long time to ramp up. The quad FC blew these away. At 20 watts less. The aliens had to be used at 90W and the quads were better at 70. Another thing I forgot to mention is airflow. Make sure the coils are positioned correctly I try to get mine right in the path of the air. It makes a huge difference. I think that is a big part of your issue with heat.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Alpha9

Aug 20, 2018
IMG_20180913_220658.jpg

IMG_20180913_220737.jpg

I currently have five wraps. there is only one tri core coil left that has not been messed with so adding more wraps is a no go(legs clipped for rda install). i intend to add additional wraps to some of the other coils in the pack i have to increase cloud production and raise the ohm levels from .10-.13 to at least .20 with dual coils installed. adding additional wraps will help with this? I still have many untried coils in the 7 in 1 pack. this is literally the first time my rda has actually worked as advertised sorry if i seem dismissive. i am lost in vape bliss atm. as for my current build i will include pictures.

How many wraps do you have on the coil? The point I was trying to make with higher resistance was raising the metal mass. By removing one of the coils and dropping the wattage you have kept it the same power ratio but cut vapor production by half. Try building a new set of duals with 6-8 wraps instead. It will drain batteries but no faster than your current setup. It will also handle wattage better. My dual coil RDAs are used on occasion for massive cloud builds. I usually use single coil RDAs but sometimes need lungbuster dual coils. Since you are using a regulated device and want clouds, don't worry about trying for low resistance and build for surface area. Higher resistance will allow for more voltage per wattage and allow you to trick more useful power from your build. I know it can get frustrating at first, but stick with it and when it you figure it out and it all clicks it will be worth it.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
IMG_20180913_220658.jpg

IMG_20180913_220737.jpg

I currently have five wraps. there is only one tri core coil left that has not been messed with so adding more wraps is a no go(legs clipped for rda install). i intend to add additional wraps to some of the other coils in the pack i have to increase cloud production and raise the ohm levels from .10-.13 to at least .20 with dual coils installed. adding additional wraps will help with this? I still have many untried coils in the 7 in 1 pack. this is literally the first time my rda has actually worked as advertised sorry if i seem dismissive. i am lost in vape bliss atm. as for my current build i will include pictures.
Gotcha. Looks good BTW. Yes you can definitely add a wrap. The coils look like 2mm diameter so Adding a wrap will bring it up a bit. I don't think you will get to .2 but that's okay. It should still give you better results. I wrap mine at 3mm, which raises resistance also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread