New squonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
Hey guys and gals, just recently got into squonking and am loving it.... bought my first squonker - a sigelei fuchai 213 bf squonk - and now am looking at buying another.... ideally any suggestions of another regulated device? Preferebly with variable wattage.... I'm not into temp control or low ohm builds, lowest I build are 0.5, but usually like above 1.0
I'm not sure if I should try an unregulated device, although they are so much cheaper. Looking for any suggestions, and maybe advice on mech squonk.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have several unregulated squonkers but am holding out for the vandy Vape pulse regulated for my first regulated squonker.
Myself I’m looking for something equivalent to a lostvape drone in 250C. The boxer is theoretically possible but imho unjustifiably expensive

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
What I have and can comment on

Wraith. Single battery, no viable TC. Dismal battery life.
Capo. Single 20700 battery. No TC. Have to treat it like an unregulated regarding builds per 4.2V cap. Battery life "ok"
DNA 75C Therion. Single battery. Fairly poor battery life.
Drone DNA 250. Decent in all performance aspects. Bulky
Kangertech 160. No viable TC. Decent battery life. Bulky

• Useful

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Capo. Single 20700 battery. No TC. Have to treat it like an unregulated regarding builds per 4.2V cap. Battery life "ok"
I’m noticing pushback every time I mention I think the boxer is too expensive for what it is. Generally from collectors. I’m not a collector. I’m a vaper. I also think basically all supercars are ridiculous, but then again, I’m not a collector, I’m a commuter. I watched a video recently of a reviewer complaining about people dissing high priced plastic mods. About half the video was him defining the term “high end” where he made reference to collectible art. The term he was defining is better known as “collectible”. High end is a different term than what he wanted it to mean. Many high end things are collectible, so it’s a reasonable conflation to make, and it is possible that the boxer is being marketed as a collectible and not a user device. That’s fine, but I’m a user. Therefore it is not for me.

• Useful

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario

Only one I can think off, off the top of my head, that this is missing: Gbox... bulky.

No I haven't used unregulated devices before, but as I said I would not be going lower than 0.5 ohm build... so would that be a good idea do you think?

If you're keeping in higher resistance (0.5), it's easier to do on an unregulated compared to something like a 0.2 or 0.15. In something like an unregulated pulse with a 20700, at 0.5ohms you basically just need to check your battery wraps when swapping them because most 20700 have a really high amp rating. You don't need to sweat it if the coil is indeed 0.5, it's coming no where close to danger levels of resistance and amp draw. Just make sure to pick up a good 20700 battery.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No I haven't used unregulated devices before, but as I said I would not be going lower than 0.5 ohm build... so would that be a good idea do you think?
It could work. It’s best to test every coil you make before you run it to make sure it’s above .5 Normally I’d talk about ohms law and whatnot but as long as you really do stay above .5 and ~1.5 (the latter chosen rather randomly) ohm that is more or less taken care of for you already.

There are advantages and disadvantages. Mech mods provide continuous power which will make for a different and often more nuanced flavor than a regulated mod. The downside is they effectively contain less usable power per battery because as the battery weakens so does the voltage and those last few miliamps just aren’t worth using.

Personally if it was me I’d go for it but you’re not me.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I'm thinking of the hotcig 80w squonk rsq, is that regulated?
yes, and it is a great little mod. I bought 2 of them. It is my first regulated squonker after 3 mech squonks and I love it/them. It performs well in TC mode with SS wire as well. I will likely buy a few more if the upcoming pulse 80w and arctic dolphin get bad reviews for TC mode.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Looking for any suggestions, and maybe advice on mech squonk.

Hey there.

My personal advice for a mechanical squonker would be the REO Grand. It's a proven workhorse and is built to last a lifetime. A .5ohm build would sing loudly on a Grand.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Hey there.

My personal advice for a mechanical squonker would be the REO Grand. It's a proven workhorse and is built to last a lifetime. A .5ohm build would sing loudly on a Grand.

Plus the collapsible spring on the REO's give you a margin of safety in the event of a short that most mech mods don't offer. My first Grand is almost 7.5 years old and will likely outlive me.

For another regulated mod, the HCigar VT-Inbox is a great value - mine has been ridden hard daily for a year now, and I've never had a problem with it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey there.

I concur. The REOs are technically collectibles but the caveat here is “built to last a lifetime”. You still get what you pay for ignoring “collectibility”

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
yes, and it is a great little mod. I bought 2 of them. It is my first regulated squonker after 3 mech squonks and I love it/them. It performs well in TC mode with SS wire as well. I will likely buy a few more if the upcoming pulse 80w and arctic dolphin get bad reviews for TC mode.
touch wood, i just order arctic dolphin anita :p
I love this little squonk n some good review too , unfortunately i fall in love with samsung 40t 21700 batt, which no way it can fit in rsq ......

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - Here is another Squonker that I think is a Great Mod...

$16.95 Authentic Eleaf Pico Squeeze 50W 18650 Mechanical Mod (Silver) - aluminum / 1*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It is what I would call "Semi-Regulated". It doesn't have VW. But it does have some Built-In Protections. So it is a Step Up (Protection-wise) from a Mechanical Mod.

And at that Price, it is Kinda Hard not to have One. Or Three.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread