NEW TAX PROPOSAL IN CONNECTICUT, USA THAT CAN BANKRUPT VAPE SHOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
CT – Gov. Malloy’s Budget “Compromise” Contains an Outrageous Vapor Tax! - CASAA

CT is in financial trouble, so our Gov. Malloy (after letting the state down this road to ruin) has come up with a plan. A plan that will make it impossible for local B&M vape shops to exist through this insane tax increase. 75% wholesale tax. This tax will generate a predicted $4.5 million in the first year and over $8 million in the second year. vape shops contribute more than that already now. This tax will shut the shops down and create zero revenue. Talk about biting the hand that feeds. Similar taxes occurred in Pennsylvania resulting in the closure of up to 60% of shops. Connecticut is a small state; if this tax goes through, Massachusetts and New York will benefit - not CT. People will go over the border to stock up.

He also proposed a cigarette tax increase of which none of the money is funneled back to "Quit Smoking" campaigns. It is obvious that his financial mismanagement has lead him to this decision to try to fix the state at the financial and heath costs of the CT residents. 4900 people die every year here in CT due to smoking related illnesses. That's over 13 people a day.

It is obvious that the health and the well being of local CT small business owners are not a priority. Gov. Malloy's needs to make it one.

Please help in whatever way you can. Follow the call to action on CASAA. They have only given one week notice about this. The vote is next week.

Any help from the admins to pin this post to make sure it stays visible will be much appreciated.

Here are facts about the damage smoking does to the state from the CT government web site. Maybe Gov. Malloy needs to read it.
DPH: Costs & Consequences

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I like it, it is the perfect social engineering tactic. If people won't conform to the desired social behaviors then turn the tax code on them. It worked on Al Capone; it will work on Vape shops. For some these two are equivalent.

(I love the projections of revenue coming from this kind of social control.)

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I like it, it is the perfect social engineering tactic.

I hear this a lot, regarding tobacco taxes and now e-cig taxes, that it's social engineering. I don't really believe that's true. I think it's nothing more than greed and what they see as a new source of revenue. If it was a matter of social engineering they would simply ban it.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
I hear this a lot, regarding tobacco taxes and now e-cig taxes, that it's social engineering. I don't really believe that's true. I think it's nothing more than greed and what they see as a new source of revenue. If it was a matter of social engineering they would simply ban it.
True. It's just looking for a quick fix. When there are no more vape shops left where are the going to get the revenue? They are not looking into the future of the damage that will be done. They wonder why big businesses are leaving the state. This tax will just crush the small business vape shops. There is no moving out of the state for them they will not be able to afford it.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

It's even simpler than that, they need to replace the lost taxes from smokers quitting. Cigarette taxes make up large parts of many state's budgets. Vaping, with no tax collected is cutting into the amount of dollars politicians can spend....fate worse than death to the pols.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
CT – Gov. Malloy’s Budget “Compromise” Contains an Outrageous Vapor Tax! - CASAA

CT is in financial trouble so our Gov. Malloy after letting the state down this road to ruin has come up with a plan. A plan that will make it impossible for local B&M vape shops to exist through this insane tax increase. 75% wholesale tax. This tax will generate a predicted $4.5 million in the first year and over $8 million in the second year. Vape shops contribute more than that already now. This tax will shut the shops down and create zero revenue. Talk about bitting the hand that feeds. Similar taxes occurred in Pennsylvania resulting in the closure of up to 60% of shops closing. Connecticut is a small state if this tax goes through Massachusetts and New York will benefit not CT. People will go over the border to stock up.

He also proposed a cigarette tax increase to which none of the money is funneled back to "Quit Smoking" campaigns. It is obvious that his financial mismanagement has lead him to this decision to try to fix the state at the financial and heath costs of the CT residents. 4900 people die every year here in CT due to smoking related illnesses. That's over 13 people a day.

It is obvious that the health and the well being of local CT small business owners are not a priority. Gov. Malloy's needs to make it one.

Please help in whatever way you can. Follow the call to action on Cassa. They have only given one week notice about this. The vote is next week.

Any help from the admins to pin this post to make sure it stays visible will be much appreciated.

Here are facts about the damage smoking does to the state from the CT government web site. Maybe Gov. Malloy needs to read it.
DPH: Costs & Consequences
Sometimes outrageous proposals are made simply as bargaining chips in negotiations. In this case it's more sinister because the intent is to slow the trend of smokers stopping smoking. Tobacco is a $1 trillion business world wide. Every penny of that benefits somebody. The worst of them benefit from the excise taxes. They won't lose their money without a nasty fight.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Unfortunately the financial rewards of people quitting smoking take years to show at state level medical expense. Not sure if worded that correctly, hope you get the drift (not a political animal). The states need money now & some can't wait years to reap the reward. Just a plain slap in your face reality. I don't know the solution, I don't agree with the tax, but I do at some level understand the reality.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
They know there is no revenue that will come from this tax.

True. It's just looking for a quick fix. When there are no more vape shops left where are the going to get the revenue? They are not looking into the future of the damage that will be done. They wonder why big businesses are leaving the state. This tax will just crush the small business vape shops. There is no moving out of the state for them they will not be able to afford it.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
They know there will be no substantial revenue arising from this tax; they understand exactly what they are doing. This "tax" is mere pablum for the masses, people think that sinful behavior is being curtailed and the debt is being erased. Even politicians aren't that stupid - venal, acquisitive, deceitful, corrupt and controlling but not stupid; voters are a in different category.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
They know there will be no substantial revenue arising from this tax; they understand exactly what they are doing. This "tax" is mere pablum for the masses, people think that sinful behavior is being curtailed and the debt is being erased. Even politicians aren't that stupid - venal, acquisitive, deceitful, corrupt and controlling but not stupid; voters are a in different category.
There must be a clear reason for this. They know that the businesses can not survive with this tax. Maybe it has to do to the lost revenue from smokers switching to vaping. CT has one of the highest taxes in the country for cigarettes. It would be pure evil if that was the plan to reap in tax revenue by eliminating the competition to cigarettes. I'm beginning to see that as the only way they can get money in the long run by ending the possibility of more smokers transitioning to vapers. I really don't see any other logic.

This proposal came quick with no hearings to be allowed and a vote in one week to try to pass it. They are trying to sneak this under the radar.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As CT is not that large a state, all they'll do is drive vapers to NY or RI for their stuff. So no "deterrent" for users (if they're still going with the vaping is a terrible communist plot to kill Americans) and drive small businesses out. I wonder why the'll say after they fail to see any of those tax revenues coming in. Probably raise it even more to make up the difference. :facepalm:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread