The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to building

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by FrankieB30, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FrankieB30

FrankieB30 New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Hey guys I just bought a new tank and mech mod the vgod pro mech with rdta and after doing a lot of research I realized I didnt want to blow my hand off so i put the mech up and am just testing simple builds with the tank on my smok majesty I'm just using a basic build with 24 ga kanthal 6 loops but my mod is reading a .336 ohm and the vape took app says I should be reading a .776 am I just reading these wrong or do I know less than I thought

• Like Like x 1
  2. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved this to New Members from Ask the Veterans

• Like Like x 1
  3. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Do you have the kit? If you have an ohm meter and know how to use it it's safe. What batteries did you buy? The .336 might work if you're careful and choose a good battery.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rangertrix

Rangertrix Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 5, 2013
    Collinsville, OK
    Are you using dual coils?

What atty are you using?
    What diameter coil?

Also, take atty off of mod and reattach it while display is on.
    Smok mods will sometimes retain the resistance reading of the previous atty if you don't wake it up before attaching the new one.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    @Rangertrix brought up some good points.

If your using dual coils, the overall resistance will be halved. For example, if you made two single coils measuring 1.2 ohms each, used together the overall resistance will be halved to 0.6 ohm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
    Might like to read:
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
    https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    Beginner – Guide To Vaping
    Vape 101: Here's Everything You Need to Know about Vaping
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/10-advancing-up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    This is why I should always read the whole thread before writing a thesis. At least I didn't hit post reply this time.

Yup, all good questions and accurate info. Have a feeling it's a dual build, but the OP will have to jump back in here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I took a quick look at the kit, and that RDA looks like it's a single coil RDA so I don't think it's duals that are the issue, honestly.

I would check your build and that you are correctly calculating stuff like leg length (it's basically the length of both your legs not one of them) and are you using spaced or contact coils, these can all make a difference.

Um, I'd also check on how secure your legs are to the posts, as well as making sure you are trimming the legs as close to the end of the posts as you can get.

If you don't have an ohm's reader, you can get one inexpensively and it's nice to have a "double check" as it were, to see if your resistance is showing similarly on both items it's also a nice stable base for building. That does seem oddly low IF your initial calculations were correct, but they may not be. Is your coil diameter correct in there?

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer yet (I don't think anyone does) but I am glad you decided to go with a regulated mod for now. One nice thing about a coilmaster is it will at least tell you it's not the mod itself, if you have one to use. Some mods read rather incorrectly (which is okay if it's CONISISTENT across builds, otherwise most definitely not.)

You could probably check your mod too by (if it came with a tank, checking a drop in coil in the tank and seeing if it's "close" to the "stated" resistance.) Otherwise well unfortunately it's hard to know if your mod is reading your coils correctly or not, and that sort of incorrect read would be troubling.

I wish you lots of luck, my guess is a calculation error but that is exactly and only a GUESS.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. FrankieB30

FrankieB30 New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Thanks guys and yea its a dual coil build the entire length of wire is 16 mm the loops are right shy of 3mm for about the first 15-20 drags and then the cotton starts to dry hit I'm using cotton bacon, I'll also check out the links posted and my drop in coils are reading pretty accurately on the box

• Like Like x 1
  11. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    1. Model the build in steam-engine
    2. Check the build on a stand alone resistance meter or a mod to confirm the resistance you were expecting. This will also warn you if there is a short or fluctuations in resistance that might be caused by loose connections.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. FrankieB30

FrankieB30 New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I just bought a new pair of
    Samsung High Drain INR18650-25R 20A 2500mAh which I've used before with drop in coils on the same mod and no kit I just use a drill bit to twist my coils

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Rangertrix

Rangertrix Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 5, 2013
    Collinsville, OK
    15 - 20 is exceptional, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. FrankieB30

FrankieB30 New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Lol well now I feel kinda dumb for doing something right and thinking I ....ed it up thanks for the help guys and the links they will help

• Like Like x 4