Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
i have an alright understanding of ohm's law from College, but i guess what id like to know is what my resistance safe zones are for coil builds

I don't know what the CDR is of your AWT battery. Many rewrappers "mislabel" their batteries with the "pulse" rating. Check out these blogs by @Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts).

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

======

I'll give you an example of the rule I follow using a 30A CDR battery. Everyone is free to set their own parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 30A battery, that would be 15A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.28Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades. As the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, my 30A battery may only be a 15A battery.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Well with the battery I'd say your easily good to .25

Def play with steam engine

I'd probably use 24g - 28gfor dual coils.28 for .5 n up gauge goes down as resistance goes down

The trick with a mech is reaction time But use too much wire and you kill the reaction time meaning too heavy of a wire or too much wire and the battery struggles to heat all of it

So its a balancing act of how much wire can I get to heat up quickly before its too much.

The lower you go on resistance the quicker the battery dies as well.
I'm no a full on cloud chaser so I'm around .4 dual to .8 single depending on the Atty and I can fog out no problems.

If you check out our rebuilding section you will see a huge amount of build and coil types to play with

Last edited:
Reactions: coltonjr2

coltonjr2

May 20, 2015
Well with the battery I'd say your easily good to .25

Def play with steam engine

I'd probably use 24g - 28gfor dual coils.28 for .5 n up gauge goes down as resistance goes down

The trick with a mech is reaction time But use too much wire and you kill the reaction time meaning too heavy of a wire or too much wire and the battery struggles to heat all of it

So its a balancing act of how much wire can I get to heat up quickly before its too much.

The lower you go on resistance the quicker the battery dies as well.
I'm no a full on cloud chaser so I'm around .4 dual to .8 single depending on the Atty and I can fog out no problems.

If you check out our rebuilding section you will see a huge amount of build and coil types to play with
Okay awesome! im at 0.27 on the build i have right now, and just to understand a little better, what if i did a single coil build, with 22g kanthal, and between 4-6 wraps, would that work good for clouds do you think?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Check steam engine I don't know if 4-6 of 22 will come up high enough

Something else with dual coil don't forget power is split .4 single is going to full power .4 duals would be power divided by 2

So a dual at 50 watts is 25 each, a single at 50 watts is full power on half the wire so you can add a few more wraps

There is no perfect answer.
Ideally more wire = more surface area=more vapor.
But in the real world it may not always follow a theory
You just have to play and experiment with different setups and types of coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread