The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to DIY e-liquid

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Tan12, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I would like to ask what are the pros and cons of having 0nic in a juice ?

2. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Pro-nic pro-no nic.
    Completely subjective. If you don't already use nic I can't think of a good reason for you to to start using it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Will it affect the taste when I use 0 nic ?

4. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I tend, on Average, to Sleep Better if I switch to 0mg when the sun goes down.

But with just about Everything, YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Pros to no nic: You aren't ingesting it and you don't need it and/or you are a never smoker so using 0 nic will be easy to do. There's no need to start a nic habit if you don't have one (IMO) with the exception of a few, rare conditions, I'd say nic is probably not going to be as healthy as 0 nic.

As far as taste, there are going to be some differences, potentially. A lot of it depends on amount of nic and type of nic used. Nic can give a bit of a throat hit, and at higher levels can have almost a "peppery" bite to it or so I hear (I use nic salts, which are pretty smooth tasting). With that said, throat hit and taste issues can be addressed by using a slightly higher PG in your vape if you prefer that "throat hit" and also menthol flavorings tend to add a bit of throat hit. But really overall, the taste difference should not be enough for you to use it solely for that purpose. Also, too MUCH nic can actually mute flavors, so I doubt there will be a huge flavoring issue.

Is there a reason you are asking? That might help with answering. I mean.... If you are a never smoker there is absolutely no reason to use nic. Even as a smoker, there are folks who have continued vaping while reducing their nic content to 0 and still vape for the hand to mouth aspect and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Most, if not all nicotine base e-liquid, naturally has a peppery flavor which contributes (in a good or bad way) to the overall flavor of the recipe.

Nicotine is the primary factor in the so-called "throat hit". (Pg or propylene glycol contributes to this secondarily.) Some vapers who were previous smokers will miss this throat hit if there is no nicotine in the e-liquid; increasing the Pg ratio of the recipe could provide some throat hit if one chooses to vape 0 nic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    While I don’t disagree at all I’d add that certain flavoring concentrates can also contribute quite a bit of throat hit. I do think that there are different qualities to throat hit as well. The throat hit you get from PG is not the same as from nic, is not the same as from flavors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Thank you for all of your reply. Because I’m going to start my diy with 0 nic thats why I’m asking if there’s a different with nic and without

• Like Like x 2
  9. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    While I’m very fond of nicotine, and think it relatively harmless by itself, I wouldn’t blindly recommend it to someone not dependent on it.

I am a bit curious though- why are you vaping in the first place? Are you a smoker trying to quit? If that’s the case you’ll want some nic in your juice. If not... well, I like vaping, but I’m not sure I’d recommend picking it up out of the blue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I’m smoke occasionally and I switch to vaping before smoking becomes my daily habit

• Like Like x 1
  11. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Hmm.... how occasional is occasional? Also, are you vaping nicotine now and at what strength?

Anna

12. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I’m using 3 mg nic on my ejuice

13. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Maybe 2-5 sticks per week. Then 1 to 2 box when having a drink

14. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    If it's working to stop you from smoking, I don't know that I would go to 0 nic. Maybe DIY at 2 or 1.5 nic or something, because I think that's a large jump. Or maybe try some DIY with both, and see which one works better for you. Perhaps. If you want to give it a shot, then by all means as 3 is fairly low.

How many "occasional" cigarettes were you smoking daily?

Anna

15. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Okay. So how about this? You mostly DIY at 0 nic, but you keep one flavor at 3 mg nic, and use it for those times when you are really craving a cigarette and bring that tank to the bar? I guess. I think you'll have to figure it out at this point and the good news on DIY is you can mix 0 nic and the amount you'd need to add if it's not working for you would be fairly negligible and wouldn't affect or dilute flavor much if you got some 100 mg/ml nicotine base in case 0 nic isn't working? Just a thought. Good luck.

Anna

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Tan12

Tan12 Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Thank you for the advice. I will post some feedbacks after doing the 0 nic diy

• Like Like x 2
  17. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    If there is somebody who could assist you in a trial, mix a bottle at 0nic and one at 3mg nic. Have them fill your tank and not tell you which they filled it with. If you are unable to tell a difference, go with 0. Sometimes, just knowing is a strong enough influence to convince you there is a need for nic.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.