New to e-cigs and soooo confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephzzz

Oct 31, 2016
Hi. I am trying to figure out what kind of starter kit to buy. I smoke about 1.5 packs of Newports a day and am trying to get away from them! I think I have narrowed down the liquid to Drews NuPort from Nhaler based on research of reviews, but there are so many started kits with so many different options, and I have no clue where to begin. Any help would be appreciated!

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

You'll probably get lots of suggestions. Everybody has their own opinion.

I would suggest an Eleaf iStick 30w or 40w with a Eleaf GS Air M tank or an Aspire Nautilus Mini. These have a built in battery.

The Eleaf Pico 75w is very popular too. It uses an 18650 battery that can be removed and charged in a dedicated charger.

This site is a good place to find good prices on vape gear Vapecrawler

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi @stephzzz

Never trust reviews (especially from another era in time), unless you read them on a community website (and they are still relevant) . The e-cig industry has more sharks than a Sunday afternoon show at Sharkworld, Sharkifornia.

I checked out the shop you mentioned and what I saw left me pretty shocked, let me tell you.
I also fear it when a range of e-liquids uses the stock Chinese (Hangsen/Dekang) artwork and possibly Chinese concentrates. (I know they sell others, better, domestic...)

A website that sells an Innokin MVP 2 for $80 serves only one purpose in life... and it's not to help you quit smoking.
$78 for a KR808 kit. :nah:
$15 for a $2 battery from China. You get my point.

I was surprised to see they actually maintain a presence here on ECF. :eek:
*edit* how old are we talking? ... forget that...

Just avoid, please.

- - -

I would recommend the iStick Pico and the Eleaf GS 'M' tank. You can upgrade the tank later on if you like. Comparable to the mini Nautilus, it's cheaper to buy and slightly service ($8 vs $10 for 5 coils)

Reactions: Baditude

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
The Eleaf iStick 30w or 40w's are fine, but they do have a built-in battery, which means you'll most likely want to get two. If you buy the Pico, you can get extra batteries and then just keep those charged up. It's better to charge batteries on a charger as opposed to changing in the unit. The Pico can be had with the Melo III tank, which is more for direct-lung vaping as opposed to mouth-to-lung vaping. Mouth-to-lung is more like how "most" people smoke cigarettes and probably a better place to start. The Melo is also not the best tank imo, so I'd buy the Pico and get another tank. The recommendations above are good tanks to get started with. The Innokin Prism T22 or T18 are both good tank options as well, and very low cost (~$12). For a charger, I like the Xtar products.

5ca09848-d029-4c68-a0e4-b30b76f74aa2_zps5ogj2qjk.jpg

Here's a picture of my Pico with a Prism T22 tank

Last edited:

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
I am new too, and have the istick pico, its great! I havnt smoked cigarettes for 12 full days, and the transition wasnt very hard for me, using vanilla flavored juice with 6-9 mg nicotine/ml.
Dont buy too cheap juice, then it's probably made in China and will taste awful no matter what
flavor you choose. I too think about getting the Nautilus mini.

Reactions: Ed_C

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First recommendation. Avoid the ciga-likes, or cigarette size batteries. Trust us. They suck and end up costing a fortune over time.

Second: Get either an Ego battery setup, or even better an inexpensive regulated "mod" like discussed in the first link below:

Take your time learning about vaping terminology and slang before you make a purchase. Ask any questions you may have here.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices. Includes tips on clearomizer tanks to avoid flooding or dry hit issues.

Last edited:

Jackie Smith

Oct 22, 2016
I agree with all info. I however went with a 50 watt victory mod with a removable thank (included,) I did zero nicotine and step 2 of the patch. I used the patch 1, week and non nicotine vaping was enough. I like mods where I can change the tank size ,style I use Zen juices I find them most flavorful. The lesson I learned was buy a set that will work long term I purchased the fifty watt only to go up to a 200 watt a week later. I like it cause I can "grow" into the larger wattages. Just my opinion but I have spent a lot of $$$ finding my preferred system and juices. Good luck happy vaping

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thetrucker

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
basically decide how you smoke..

do you inhale to your mouth and then your lungs, or deeper and straight to your lungs? just this question alone can change the advice you're given, because there are two styles related to inhales... one will be easier to adjust to for you than the other.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Hi. I am trying to figure out what kind of starter kit to buy. I smoke about 1.5 packs of Newports a day and am trying to get away from them! I think I have narrowed down the liquid to Drews NuPort from Nhaler based on research of reviews, but there are so many started kits with so many different options, and I have no clue where to begin. Any help would be appreciated!

I would avoid Nhaler like the plaque. My mom, better half & I quit using the eLeaf iStick 30w & the eLeaf GS Air/Nautilus Mini. My brother quit using the Innokin Prism T22. Both are great choices IMO. A step up to the eLeaf Pico or Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini allows use of the same tanks/coils but offers much more flexibility & room for growth. Just my :2c:

Don't forget extra coils eLeaf GS Air/Nautilus Mini
Batteries & a charger if you decide on the step up option

Good luck...

Last edited:
Reactions: djsvapour

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Stephzzz and welcome.

Well didn't you just ask the million dollar question. Yes there are lots and lots of choices out there to decide on and at some point you are going to have to choose one and start learning. Many, possible most of us own more than one device. It dosen't take long before you realize you need a back up unit and it dosen't take long before you start wanting to try something different. I suspect it comes back to your personality, your resources, and how you ultimately feel about vaping. Again I suspect most of us have chosen it as a life style choice over continuing to smoke.

So my recommendation to you is to approach the decision of what to buy with the idea that this will be an intro device and end up as one of several (possibly many) you will own in the end. So buy a good quality popular device with variable power settings, temperature control, separate batteries (1 or 2), and a good tank to go with it. Expect to pay around $60 to $100 (in the US) for the combo. A bit of searching on the internet will quickly direct you to the more popular choices available. Though many will claim this tank or that one is very much superior to the rest the reality is for the most part if you stick with the popular choices you'll find they pretty much perform similarly to each other and getting them to perform really well comes back to the experience and knowledge of the user. A mod (the thingy with the batteries and buttons) is a mod is a mod. If you get one that has all the normal functions you won't be disappointed and it will continue to hold a prominent place in your collection long after you acquire it.

As to juice you sound as though you've made up your mind however you may well find that you like lots of juices and don't like others. Most suppliers offer juice in $2 to $3 sample sizes which is a great way to try lots of them without wasting a lot of money. You'll need to decide on how much VG vs PG in it, how much nicotine, and what flavors you like. The level of nic in your juice often ties in with your plans to quit smoking and there are various routes you can choose from in that regard. My route was to get used to vaping while still smoking so my initial nic levels were low up until the time I chose to quit but that's a personal decision to make. The difference between VG & PG can be experienced by trying samples of differing ratios to decide what you like. Flavors of course is a trial and error thing based on what you think you'd like and maybe even trying some you don't initially think you'd like, you may be surprised.

Good luck with it and enjoy the journey.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
I agree with all info. I however went with a 50 watt victory mod with a removable thank (included,) I did zero nicotine and step 2 of the patch. I used the patch 1, week and non nicotine vaping was enough. I like mods where I can change the tank size ,style I use Zen juices I find them most flavorful. The lesson I learned was buy a set that will work long term I purchased the fifty watt only to go up to a 200 watt a week later. I like it cause I can "grow" into the larger wattages. Just my opinion but I have spent a lot of $$$ finding my preferred system and juices. Good luck happy vaping

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When I was looking for a setup the first place went recommended the victory 50 kit. The idea of getting matching components sounded great. I looked at a few things online & asked some questions to make sure I totally understood everything. I ended up getting a 200 box to start with & had room to grow into it. I have bought several other tanks & mods since then but the originals are what I'm using right now.
You honestly probably won't need that much power but 2 batteries last a long time. There are some nice ones around 75 out & that's a pretty good size that you can use for a while. Best of luck.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read: (4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
Could try to simplify your vaping and stay away from intermediate and advanced vape setups, which can present many vaping problematic unknowns to the beginner. Try to stick with beginners equipment, you will be glad you did.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Does anyone have any experience with the eleaf ijust s?: NEW Eleaf iJust S Kit $31-33.00 - Eleaf - Starter Kits

You will find that having some adjustments available, like power and airflow adjustment, will allow you to fine tune the vapour how you like it. Devices that do not offer those options may cost less and turn out to be okay for your style of vaping, but if you get it and you do not like what it gives you, you are stuck with it or must buy a different product.

Having some adjustment options is a big plus if you can afford it. It may turn out to be the cheaper option if it turns out you don't like the plug n play device that has no fine tuning. Cheers.

Reactions: Mice Elf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread