New to E-cigs need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
Hi All,

I'm pretty much a noob who has only ever tried out an e-cig but never owned one... Although i have done a little bit of research of my own...

Basically my girlfriend and I placed an order on V2's website after having tried out a friends V2pro a while ago, but then only after making the order recently did my friend let me know they seem to have slipped a fair bit since i last spoke to him, but after looking online at some of the recent complaints, it seems i'm not the only one... so rather than wait to see what happens, i'm going to try and cancel my order through the credit card service since i've tried e-mailing them several time to no avail...

With that info out of the way, i am now looking for some advice from all the pro's out there... both my girlfriend and i are looking to quit smoking and take up vaping instead, and we were both planning on going with the V2 Pro series 3, since it looked liked it did everything and also was able to change out cartridges to smoke loose leaf as well...

And now with the fact that V2 seems to be out of the picture, i was wondering, what other systems are out there that some of you maybe able to recommend similar to the V2 Pro series 3? I'm looking for preferably a cartomizer system i think? since i don't want to deal with changing out wicks etc, and living in Hong Kong there are no official vaping stores making it even harder to get parts or even try different systems, so it has to be something reliable and not overly big... if it can also be used for oil as well as loose leaf with say the change of a cartridge, then even better...

Oh and both of us are around a pack a day smokers...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give this noob :D

zerosm0ke

Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Boulder, CO
Well, I can't say I have ever seen or tried a V2.

Checking out the website, it reminds me of an EGO ONE setup.
But, you can probably get a similar setup with an istick and an aspire mini nautilus or a kanger subtank nano, but I would really recommend snooping around these forums and see what others are using and learning about the technology and lingo.

For example, if you got something like the subtank, you are going to want to make sure that the battery you choose can drive it as it does have .5 ohm coils, although you can get 1.2 ohm coils for it.

I started with little pen type devices, and then evods, and mini protanks, and now I rebuild my own coils and use those type of devices.
A simple setup would probably be something like the aspire I mentioned with 1.8ohm coils and an istick 30w.

Grab some juice from Mt Baker Vapor, or Vaporleaf, or a trustworthy source in your neck of the woods.
Being in HongKong, might make things more interesting to find a good vendor who will ship to you.

Make sure you get spare devices and coils if they are hard to come by local, always have a backup.

I'm not familiar with anything that will use something other that ejuice, so if that is a requirement, this might not fit your bill.

Good Luck

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
^ Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, the loose leaf part was just more of a bonus for me if they had it, but if not then no worries since my main deal is to quit smoking real cigs first and foremost...

As for vape shops, there basically are none around... and those that advertise that they are, aren't really vape shops at all most of the time, but rather small consignment stores that have a small selection of vapes, and normally they are just literally E-cigs from un-known brands which i won't risk...

But yeah, i guess if anyone knows any decent starter type kits, or out of the box ready kits where you can refill your own oil, but doesn't require a wick tank, please let me know?

And i'll keep doing some research in the mean time....

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping and/or looking to upgrade. These blog posts are 2-3 years old so there have been some advances since there were written but they are a good starting point in learning all the terminology and how things work.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
Hi all, thanks for information, and i also read the stickies suggested already...

Anyway, i think after speaking to some other friends i may have narrowed it down to one of these two setups, although would like to hear some advice from the pro's here of what you think of these systems?

System 1:

Kanger Mini Protank 3 (1.8 ohm coil) with Kanger Evod Twist 650MaH and 1000MaH battery

System 2:

Aspire Nautilus Mini (1.8 ohm coil) with Aspire CF VV+ 1000mah battery

System 3:

Kanger Aerotank Mini Dual Coil Clearomizer Tank with Kanger Evod Twist 650MaH and 1000MaH battery

Now i'm not sure what differences there are between the systems, so maybe if any of you have tried either of them you could give me some feedback of pro's and cons?

Last edited:

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
But yeah, i guess if anyone knows any decent starter type kits, or out of the box ready kits where you can refill your own oil, but doesn't require a wick tank, please let me know?

Hi HKTGhost, the ones that you can re-wick and build coils for - that's not a requirement. You buy pre-made coils for them if you're not into that. No difference in complexity to a starter kit unless you want to start rebuilding them, you just screw the 3 parts together, fill and vape. Just thought it best to mention in case you were restricting your choice based on this :)

Joyetech Ego ONE for tube style and Eleaf iStick 30 or iStick50w for boxes seem to be popular starters that don't cost too much, but are far more satisfying than very entry level things. Tank wise, Kanger Subtank variants, Kanger Aerotank, Aspire Nautilus and Joyetech Delta2 seem popular.

Can you order on the 'net instead?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi all, thanks for information, and i also read the stickies suggested already...

System 1:

Kanger Mini Protank 3 (1.8 ohm coil) with Kanger Evod Twist 650MaH and 1000MaH battery

Protank 3 is a waste of time--it's basically an Aerotank prototype, but with no airflow control. Don't bother. Evod Twist is OK--but get a variable voltage version.

System 2:

Aspire Nautilus Mini (1.8 ohm coil) with Aspire CF VV+ 1000mah battery

Never been a fan of Aspire, long story, so I can't speak about the Nautilus. IMO, there are better options.

System 3:

Kanger Aerotank Mini Dual Coil Clearomizer Tank with Kanger Evod Twist 650MaH and 1000MaH battery

See 1. :D Kanger Emow Mega is my favorite Kanger tank--very similar to Aerotank. Coils are easy to clean. last a long time with an occasional dry burn and rinse, can be rebuilt easily.

Now i'm not sure what differences there are between the systems, so maybe if any of you have tried either of them you could give me some feedback of pro's and cons?

My favorite new plug-and-play setup is iStick 30 and GS Air tank, both by Eleaf/iSmoka. Inexpensive, user friendly, rebuildable, great vape.

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
Hi HKTGhost, the ones that you can re-wick and build coils for - that's not a requirement. You buy pre-made coils for them if you're not into that. No difference in complexity to a starter kit unless you want to start rebuilding them, you just screw the 3 parts together, fill and vape. Just thought it best to mention in case you were restricting your choice based on this :)

Joyetech Ego ONE for tube style and Eleaf iStick 30 or iStick50w for boxes seem to be popular starters that don't cost too much, but are far more satisfying than very entry level things. Tank wise, Kanger Subtank variants, Kanger Aerotank, Aspire Nautilus and Joyetech Delta2 seem popular.

Can you order on the 'net instead?

Yup, at the moment planning on ordering online... just gotta find the right one...

Protank 3 is a waste of time--it's basically an Aerotank prototype, but with no airflow control. Don't bother. Evod Twist is OK--but get a variable voltage version.

Thanks will definitely look into a variable voltage version

Never been a fan of Aspire, long story, so I can't speak about the Nautilus. IMO, there are better options.

Now you got me interested, maybe PM me reason if possible?

See 1. :D Kanger Emow Mega is my favorite Kanger tank--very similar to Aerotank. Coils are easy to clean. last a long time with an occasional dry burn and rinse, can be rebuilt easily.

Is it much larger than the Aerotank? since looking online it seems to be but i haven't seen a comparison pic?

My favorite new plug-and-play setup is iStick 30 and GS Air tank, both by Eleaf/iSmoka. Inexpensive, user friendly, rebuildable, great vape.

I'll see if i can find these brands over here somewhere... although as i said, there aren't any official vape stores per se, so ordering online is most likely the way i'll go...

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I would not put a double-coil anything on a 650mah battery limited to 3.4v. DC's need 4.5v + to perform properly. That rules out most stick and entry-level twist batts.

I'd highly recommend starting out with the 808d1's since you have no e-cig experience and then move from cartomizers to recommended ohm single coil clearomizers on those same batteries. In the meantime, start reading and researching the forum to learn about batteries, ohms, amps and other stuff before spending a paycheck on a battery pack and advanced glassomizer/tanks. You might want to try a Top Coil Clearo like the Mini Nova and a bottom coil clearo like the MTS3 Evod (couple of bucks each) and see which you like better - one has warmer vapor than the other.

You can find cartomizers at quite a few of the forum suppliers (up there ^ click forum suppliers) For the most part, cartomizers are designed for 808D1 batteries, but can later be used on other devices as long as you match the power to the cart resistance so definitely not a waste of money. (And cartomizer ecigs go over better at the inlaws, too)

Good luck !..

Last edited:
in my opinion you cant go wrong with a an eleaf istick 20w paired with the aspire nautilus mini these will satisfy a vaping newcomer right up to an everyday vaper.
I myself have been vaping now for 5 years and i use the istick 20w with nautlius mini as my go anywhere vape setup as my rda setup is just too much hassle when i'm out and about, as for ejuice you could try a company called vapeflavours its a new company i think and their ejuice is fantastic value for your money also vampire vape is good too if your looking for more in the cloud producing side of it, But if its a throat hit and flavour especially if your switching from smoking to vaping try vapeflavours range out. As for the ecig i would def go for the eleaf istick 20w or the 30w and the nautilus mini tank no wicks just a simple screw in coil that lasts a good while too.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's simple...

(but rarely do people listen).

V2 are overpriced nonsense. Most people eventually work this out, other than those with a sentimental attachment.

Please, please do not buy any of the old Kanger clearomizers, they are dreadful compared to the latest designs.

I have heard of shops selling e-cig equipment in Hong Kong. Maybe there are secret shops in Wan Chai.... :)

Can you order from Fasttech? Their office is in HK, but it's just an address, the orders come from somewhere else.

Unit 8-9, G/F Po Lung Centre
11 Wang Chiu Road
Kowloon Bay

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
I would not put a double-coil anything on a 650mah battery limited to 3.4v. DC's need 4.5v + to perform properly. That rules out most stick and entry-level twist batts.

I'd highly recommend starting out with the 808d1's since you have no e-cig experience and then move from cartomizers to recommended ohm single coil clearomizers on those same batteries. In the meantime, start reading and researching the forum to learn about batteries, ohms, amps and other stuff before spending a paycheck on a battery pack and advanced glassomizer/tanks. You might want to try a Top Coil Clearo like the Mini Nova and a bottom coil clearo like the MTS3 Evod (couple of bucks each) and see which you like better - one has warmer vapor than the other.

You can find cartomizers at quite a few of the forum suppliers (up there ^ click forum suppliers) For the most part, cartomizers are designed for 808D1 batteries, but can later be used on other devices as long as you match the power to the cart resistance so definitely not a waste of money. (And cartomizer ecigs go over better at the inlaws, too)

Good luck !..

Thanks for the advice, but yeah, not sure i want to keep testing out different types of e-cigs to be honest, especially since i will have to deal with international shipping and then i'll also end up with a large amount of e-cig bits and pieces which i want to avoid, as i have enough other hobbies in my life to deal with...

I guess at the end of the day i'm looking for something not overly advanced, but not so basic that i have no options at all... which is why i was thinking of the ones i listed, not to mention, i have tried my friends ProTank 3 and didn't mind the way it smoked, so was thinking can't go wrong with the aero, although i may need to look more into how to pair things etc...

Is there a link you could send me to that explains match your machines ohm coil rating - battery voltage?

Thanks

HKTGhost

Mar 24, 2015
-852-
in my opinion you cant go wrong with a an eleaf istick 20w paired with the aspire nautilus mini these will satisfy a vaping newcomer right up to an everyday vaper.
I myself have been vaping now for 5 years and i use the istick 20w with nautlius mini as my go anywhere vape setup as my rda setup is just too much hassle when i'm out and about, as for ejuice you could try a company called vapeflavours its a new company i think and their ejuice is fantastic value for your money also vampire vape is good too if your looking for more in the cloud producing side of it, But if its a throat hit and flavour especially if your switching from smoking to vaping try vapeflavours range out. As for the ecig i would def go for the eleaf istick 20w or the 30w and the nautilus mini tank no wicks just a simple screw in coil that lasts a good while too.

Thanks let me check it out..

It's simple...

(but rarely do people listen).

V2 are overpriced nonsense. Most people eventually work this out, other than those with a sentimental attachment.

Please, please do not buy any of the old Kanger clearomizers, they are dreadful compared to the latest designs.

I have heard of shops selling e-cig equipment in Hong Kong. Maybe there are secret shops in Wan Chai.... :)

Can you order from Fasttech? Their office is in HK, but it's just an address, the orders come from somewhere else.

Unit 8-9, G/F Po Lung Centre
11 Wang Chiu Road
Kowloon Bay

First off, yup found that out the hard way... 2nd, so would the Kanger AeroTank mini be okay or is that already an outdated design? Which leads me to my 2nd question, between that and the Aspire Nautilus Mini which would you recommend?

Onto these shops, a lot of the shops that advertise themselves as Vape Store a lot of the time are consignment stores not official stores, so it can be very hit and miss what you get or find from them... then there is also the problem of you not really knowing if they are the real deal or not...

As for that office address, i'm going to see if i can hit them up, since HK is small enough maybe i can goto their office and work something out?

---EDIT---

Just checked out FastTech's website and they seem to have a lot of stuff if you know how to truly customize your e-cig which seems a bit too advanced for me...

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yup, at the moment planning on ordering online... just gotta find the right one...

Fasttech and Focal Cigs are two good options. Slow but reliable.

Thanks will definitely look into a variable voltage version

Absolutely. It's the only way to go, IMO--it will allow you to customize your vape to your liking.

Now you got me interested, maybe PM me reason if possible?

In a nutshell, they are expensive to buy and to operate because the coils and not serviceable--impossible to clean and a bit difficult, albeit not impossible. to rebuild. I had no luck with BDC coils at all, no enough airflow, and I didn't care for the fiberglass material they used in the BVC coils. Aspire switched to cotton, but I'm reading some complaints that the size of the juice holes in the new coils is too large and some people are experiencing leaks. Anyway, it's all hearsay as I don't use their coils anymore. Many people love them.

Is it much larger than the Aerotank? since looking online it seems to be but i haven't seen a comparison pic?

Emow Mega is the same size as regular Aerotank (19 mm diameter). The regular emow is 16 mm. The mini Aerotank is ~14-15 mm, same as the eGo battery diameter.

I'll see if i can find these brands over here somewhere... although as i said, there aren't any official vape stores per se, so ordering online is most likely the way i'll go...

You can get iStick 30, Eleaf GS Air tank and coils on Fasttech; the iStick 30 is a box mod, 22-23 mm in width, and will accommodate most tank sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread