New to ecigs and SERIOUSLY need some guidance!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Okay so I am looking to kick the nasty habit of smoking (analogs as you guys refer to them). I've tried cold turkey, weening myself off, gum, patches, the list goes on and on. I have been smoking for 6-7 years and in the past year have increased to a pack a day. That's when I knew something had to give. My big issue with smoking seems to be the habit forming part of it; the need for a smoke while in the car, right after a meal, while having a drink, in high stress situations. It's not that I crave the cigarette itself persay, but I do appreciate the throat hit of one.

So with that being said, I need help. I've spoken with numerous people and read the forums and started researching sites and I have to say it is so new to me that it's hard to grasp really. This is where i could really use you guys. What I'm looking for basically:
1. A good throat hit is a must.
2. I would like a good vapor production
3. Low cost, but good quality.
4. I'm unsure if the best fit for me would be cartos, cartos/tank, or clearos. I know you all say its subjective and based on what each person prefers but I'd like some good solid honest advice for a first timer
5. I need good advice in juice. I currently smoke Marlboros, and would like something comparable. I do not intend on getting into fancy fruity juices (at least not right away). Like I said I'm looking to kick the analog habit, and want the vapor to be as close to what I'm used to as possible (at least until I can get off analogs).
6. I think I need something relatively simple in the beginning, not too many gadgets and parts and pieces. I just don't want to get it and it be so confusing and frustrating that I just put it down and go back to buying Marlboros. But
7. I do need a good battery life because I will go insane if it dies on me mid day.. So with all of this being said
I think I will probably get an eGo Twist, because of the variable voltage and it seems smart since I'm starting out and unsure as to what I like. Is this a good idea??
As for everything else, I don't knoooow!! Ohms, cartos, clearos, heads, drip tips, popular set ups for good vapor and TH, I basically just need someone to tell me what to do!!

Oh, and for someone to point me in the direction of good, reputable, cost effective sources for me to order from.

I'm trying to get all of this, and begin vaping ASAP, as my goal is to not buy another pack of analogs after Jan. 1

Please and thank you for any and all information you can pass my way!!

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I think your decision to use an Ego Twist is perfect. I'd get the higher 1000 mah version. For juice delivery I would look at the Kanger T2. I am NOT a fan of clearomizers but the Kanger T2 works really well. Stick with the T2 and not the T3 as the T2 is a top coil design which will give you better throat hit. With this system you'll have an all day battery and all day juice supply in a fairly small form factor.
As far as juice goes, that's a tough one. Taste is very subjective and nothing will taste like an analog. I would probably start out with 18mg strength and, for what it's worth, my suggestion would be Halo Freedom. Freedom Juice E-Liquid Pick up some small sample packs from whomever you buy juice from.
Also, don't forget that you'll need two Ego Twists so that one is charging while the other is being used.
It's been over three years since I've had a puff off a stinky. Good luck!

immortalmayhem

Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Southern California
I would suggest using 1000 mah ego twists to start off with until you know you like vaping and gets you off cigarettes. I am now an x-smoker and I have smoked for 23 years and was consuming pack (reds) sometimes two when drinking. I stopped cold turkey and started on 24-18mg nic. For throat hit i would start 50/50 juices, Juice flavor is all preference to yourself. The investment sounds expensive for an all out one but a starter ego kit is at a decent price expecially as much as cigs. are! 5-6 bucks a day you will get your money back in a month or two. But I wouldn't invest in to much until you know you can succeed or enjoy vaping, its been a couple months now and I can't stand the smell of cigs anymore and have 0 desire for them. GOOD LUCK!!!

monuoha

Feb 14, 2012
Dallas
I second the ego twist recommendation. However I found the 1000mah to be unusually too long for my liking and wouldn't easily fit my jean pockets. If your buying 2 twists get the 600Mah. Better form factor.
Plus make sure you buy your stuff from a good supplier. Lots of fakes out there. I buy most of my hardware from Gotvapes.com. They stock the Kangers & Vivi Novas which are the best clearos out there. The E1 clearos are also very good. You can get that from discount vapor. Best of luck!

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
As to the carto, clearo, carto tank and so forth. What I suggest for someone who is starting out is order a couple of cartomizers and a couple of cleaomizers. They are not very much, and things like the vivi nova and the Kanger are slightly better than standard clearomizers but not enough so to if you hate the cleaomizer you most likely won't like them either, same thing with the cartomizer tanks, if you hate the taste of cartomizers you won't like the tanks any better.

As far as the juice, I don't vape tobacco flavors so I can't tell you which ones are good, but I do want to put in this warning. No tobacco juice will taste like a cig, because when you smoke you are tasting the burning product. Vaping is not burning so you won't get that same taste. A lot of people start out wanting juice that tastes like what they are use to, and sadly that just isn't going to fully happen.

Also as people do have different tastes the best thing I can suggest is depending on your budget, order lots of small sample bottles from different vendors. You may have 4 different juices with the same name each from a different place, such as RY4, almost every vendor has their own version of it. They will not however taste the same.

Edited to add

Nic = throat hit
PG = enhances throat hit and flavor
VG = mutes throat hit and flavor but adds vapor

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Personally I always go for the largest mah I can find which besides the big tube mods at the moment is the vision spinner. It is 1300mah and a little shorter and fatter than the twist. The voltage dial is much improved in that you can read it without a magnifying glass. I have both and prefer it. It's always good to get a pack of cartomizers along with a clearo such as the vivi nova then you can try both to find your preference. If you don't like one you have another and always have at least 2 batteries. Juice was for me the hardest it is so subjective that you just have to keep trying different samples till you find the right ones for you.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
Personally I always go for the largest mah I can find which besides the big tube mods at the moment is the vision spinner. It is 1300mah and a little shorter and fatter than the twist. The voltage dial is much improved in that you can read it without a magnifying glass. I have both and prefer it. It's always good to get a pack of cartomizers along with a clearo such as the vivi nova then you can try both to find your preference. If you don't like one you have another and always have at least 2 batteries. Juice was for me the hardest it is so subjective that you just have to keep trying different samples till you find the right ones for you.

Totally agree with getting the Vision Spinner. The Twist is almost impossible to set accurately without a magnifying glass. The smaller, fatter (slightly) larger circumference of the Spinner makes it more pocket friendly. Be sure to get a "genuine" Vision Spinner as opposed to a knockoff. Here is a list of Vision-approved vendors.

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
The Twist batteries are great to start with. They will let you dial in the voltage that will give the best throat hit/vapor/taste combination. As a rule of thumb I start with a voltage that is 2 points higher than the resistance of the carto - so for a 2.0 ohm carto start at 4 volts, a 2.5 ohm carto start at 4.5V and work your way from there. Make sure you have at least two or three batteries, so while one charges you can still vape on the other. If you cannot charge during the day, plan accordingly and either get larger batteries or carry one or two with you. A 650 mAh Twist may last you for half a day or even a day depending on how you vape. the 1000 mAh bats will last longer but you may find them to be too long.

As for cartos/clearos/tanks, try several if you can. I would start off with some Stardusts with replaceable heads or a Mini Vivi Nova. They are both easy to fill, don't leak, can be easily cleaned, have replaceable heads and the heads can last for several weeks. They both have a top coil, so the vape is warmer and you get more TH than a regular carto. If you would rather go with a carto, Boge or Smoktech are pretty good. Learn how to fill them properly, because if you underfill them you run the risk of burning them and they are ruined. With the twists, you can try cartos or clearos in the 2-3 ohm range.

For juices, try to get several small bottles of different flavors to see which you like best. None will taste like a burning cigarette, but you may find some tobacco juices that are pretty good and may like them more that the taste of a burning leaf. For a good TH I would start with 18 or 24 mg/ml of nicotine and a juice that is mostly 70% PG/30%VG. This will give you a good combination of TH, flavor and vapor production.

Also check out the suppliers forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread