New to modding. Head hurts. Mind Boggled. Need Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim_piper

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Wyandotte, Michigan
Okay, next month, I will be in the woods for two weeks with no way to charge batteries. I went there last year and between rain and forest shade, solar chargers are right out. I've been looking for a simple battery box mod that can use three or four AA Alkaline batteries and a KR808 adapter. Even D cells would be okay but not preferable with a honking big flashlight, but I'm not sure which mod is best for the conditions.
Just for experiment's sake, I soldered up a cannibalized 808 battery tip and hooked it to a 4AA box. My soldering works, but I don't wish to have it explode from lack of regulators/resistors. What would be the bare minimum of added parts to make this rig safe?
Every time I search, I begin to wonder if I have adult A.D.D.
Your assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
I'm going to make the same suggestion I made the last time you asked - A 3C or 3D flashlight mod. You could do a 3AA mod, but you'll probably go through a set of AAs per day, whereas a set of three D batteries should last nearly a week. It's cheap, simple, and can easily be made waterproof. If I was abandoning civilization for a few weeks, It's what I would do.

grim_piper

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Wyandotte, Michigan
Thank you all for the help and advice. I couldn't find the Weller model, so I bought a Radio Shack version. It works! It was the easiest solution. It also works very well as a soldering iron ;) Now that I have something I know will work, and can now solder worth a damn, I will try some of the flashlight mods.
I also made an RCA adapter. Brilliant! The Radio Shack one came with a flashlight bulb type thread, but I have some of those laying about and now that I can solder, will be doing a few of those. Come to think of it, that may make easy work of a flashlight mod.
Once again, sincere and hearty thanks to all of those who helped.
Those of who who have the soldering iron mod, how long do your batteries last under heavy vaping?

grim_piper

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Wyandotte, Michigan
So, after testing, I find I get about two and a half days out of 4 AA batteries. For disposables, Duracell seems to work better than Energizer. Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up taking the soldering iron hosing apart and saw that it is a very simple construction. I've now copied it a couple of times and have tested it with no problem with the batteries heating up. I'll post some pictures when I make a pretty one(I'm thinking brass and bloodwood). Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread