New to the E-cig thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonedinNY

Jan 15, 2011
NY
K here's my story. I've been a pack / 2 pack a day smoker for the last 10 year's. I've heard about E-cig's hear and there and never put too much thought or paid any mind to it untill recently, a Kiosk at the Mall in my area opened up called NuvoCig. they offered a $30.00 starter kit that included 1 battery, 1 atomizer, and 5 cart's. I figured i'd give it a try. currently over a week into trying this and cut back to about 1 analog a day, sometimes none at all. I fid it to be helping me very much so.
After doing a bit more research into the whole E-cig thing, I've been looking at different E-cigs online and im thinking of ordering a Joye 510, seems to be about what im looking for.

Now..not sure if any of you have heard of Nuvocig before, I didnt ask the guy at the kiosk but I didnt see anything about buying the liquid or mixing with nicotine levels and all that. They just offer a 5 pack of refill cart's for $10.00, all different flavors from newport to coffee and such.
What im trying to figure out is...if I order the joye 510, how long will a 30ML bottle of the liquid last me generally?
with these cart's on my nuvocig, i vape about a full cart or 2 in a day, wich i guess is about the same as when i was smoking analogs seeing as 1 cart is supposed to add up to about one pack.

Trying to get some info on all this seeing as im new to it, but im not looking to pick up a new "habbit" and smoke e-ciggs forever, im looking to be able to quit all together.

Thank's.

Last edited:

Hrtbrkr1965

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Indiana
The joye 510 is a good little unit but my wife and I quickly upgraded to the riva/Ego as the battery life on the little ones just didn't cut it for us! We went through 4 batteries on the Joye 510 in 1 month!
She uses about 1.5 ml a day and I use about 3 ml a day as I was a much heavier smoker at 50 - 60 cigs a day for 30 years!

StonedinNY

Jan 15, 2011
NY
Nice, thank's for the info guy's. trying to figure out what my budget would be while using E-cig's. 30ML lasting a month or so is pretty nice. Figure when I order my 510, I'll get 2-3 30ML liquid's with it, prices look nice on all the sites i've been looknig at.
Yeah Nuvocig seem's to be a new locally made E-cig. there's a website Nuvocig.com, they seem to be only available around my general area, unless bought online. I'll take a pic or 2 and post em on this thread to show you all what it look's like and what it come's with.
Still gonna do a bit of searching around before i actually place my order for the 510, everything ive heard on it thought seem's to be exactly what im looking for.
need to figure out what flavor i wanna go with and what eles i would need aside from the liquid.
with my nuvocig i've tried a bunch and seem to like Apple, Newport, vanilla, and coffee the best. other flavors taste kinda funny to me.
Also...What is this cotton like substance in my cart's? not sure if its just a nuvocig thing, or if the 510 cart's will have it to. If they do have it, since I'll be mixing liquid and all myself with the 510, is that cotton / fiber's in the cart's something I'll need to buy as well? or can it be reused? Sorry if this is a question already answered somewhere on here, im still searching around on this forum.

StonedinNY

Jan 15, 2011
NY
The joye 510 is a good little unit but my wife and I quickly upgraded to the riva/Ego as the battery life on the little ones just didn't cut it for us! We went through 4 batteries on the Joye 510 in 1 month!
She uses about 1.5 ml a day and I use about 3 ml a day as I was a much heavier smoker at 50 - 60 cigs a day for 30 years!

Yeah im thinking I'll be around 1.5-2 ML a day.
would you say the Riva/Ego would be a better choice for someone who will be vaping almost all day (battery length wise atleast?)
and how would you compare the throat hit and vapor production compared to the joye 510?
even with my nuvocig at the moment, I'm almsot always puffing on it pretty much all day and into the night before i go to sleep, i clear a cart sometimes 2 in a day.
looking for something with an intense throat hit and vapor production and that will last me atleast the majority of the day before needing recharge, once im at home it wont matter as much seeing as I'll make sure i have atleast 2 different batteries with one always at full charge.

Hi,
Welcome to ECF!
I used to smoke 1 1/2 to 2 PAD. Now vape around 2ml/day. I use a kr808D-1.
As far as buying the filler for the carts, no. But you will need to buy new carts.
My best advice is to go to the ECF Library and read DonDaBoomVapes 6 part series called, "The Wonderful World of Vaping".
Very informative. After reading that, you should have a much better grasp of the whole concept.
Good luck in your future vaping endeavors!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
30ml may not last a month. It depends how much you vape and how big your drags are etc. If you are starting out on a mini then 30ml should last somewhere between 15-25 days if you are only vaping as much as you smoked. If you are vaping more then it will last less. But it will give you plenty of time to order a variety of juices to try.

Nuvo is using cartos (cartomizers)? They screw onto the battery? They hold more than carts (about 2x as much).

BTW when you get your 510, be sure to get the primer fluid out of the atty. Atty (middle part of a 3-part ecig) usually ships with primer fluid in it and that stuff is nasty to vape. Blow the atty out well into a tissue. Then you can either soak it in vodka or grain alcohol for a while (or rubbing alcohol if you are sure not to ingest any), scoop some through it, then shake it out and blow or blow dry through it to dry it. OR you can just put a few drops of juice right on the atty mesh bridge (little think that pokes up inside), wait a minute for it to soak in then vape that off without inhaling. Then in either case, prime it for real with a few drops and put on a filled or pre-filled cart and start vaping. If you fill the cart yourself, drip slowly until the top looks damp, not a puddle.

And when you put a 510 cart on the atty try to line it up
[==]
../\..

Though 510 comes with carts, there are a variety of blank cartos for it (but you can't use the LR low resistance ones unless you get the fat battery version of the 510 - Ego or Riva 510)

If your Nuvo is a cartomizer model (2-piece) then its battery may actually last longer than 510's. That's because part of 510's length is its atty.

Last edited:

Hrtbrkr1965

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Indiana
The Joye 510 and the Ego/Riva 510 use the same atomizers! The 510 refers to the threads on them! The battery life is the main difference and the bigger battery gives a way more consistent hit for a longer period than the smaller one! I get almost a full day on the 750 mah battery of the riva 510! Was only getting about 2 hours on the smaller ones! My wife got a little longer on them as she doesn't vape as much as I do!
I use the cartridges but honestly direct drip most of the time when i'm home! Have never tried cartomizers so I really can't offer any advice on them!
The main reason I haven't tried the cartomizers is it just seems to be a recurring expense and i'm trying to keep the habit as cheap as possible!

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
would you say the Riva/Ego would be a better choice for someone who will be vaping almost all day (battery length wise atleast?)

Absolutely. Plus, you will save a lot of money in the long run. If you are going to be vaping all day with the 510, you would need to buy extra batteries, PCC, and/or a passthrough to ensure you would always have a PV ready to go.

Example: A 510 kit with (2) 180mah batteries, charger, (2) atomizers. etc... will cost about $35. If you are vaping heavily, you will deplete one those little batteries in no time (1-2 hrs). The 510 batteries take about 2-2.5 hours to charge--if you start using the second one right away, there's a good chance your first won't be charged by the time you drain that battery. So, you would need to buy extra hardware to prevent being without power.

But, for $30 over at Liberty Flights, you can get the Riva 510 that comes with (2) 750 mah batteries, fast charger, etc... Each battery will last 4-8 hrs of heavy vaping and the batteries charge in the same length of time with the fast charger.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
I am also new to vaping (1 week!). I bought my e-cig on a whim when a coworker and I went to lunch at the mall and had a bit of time left over to stroll around the mall. We ran into a cart in the mall selling Vapor Kings (not the original, but the knock off) which is a clone of the 510. So I bought one. I have been sick of smoking cigarettes for a looooooong time, but I LIKE smoking. I started using it the next day even tho I still had a pack of analogs. It took me 3 full days to work thru my LAST pack of analogs and found that I needed to put it out after only smoking 1/3 of a cigarette. It was just gross in comparison to vaping. I thought to myself... THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!! SMOKING IS GROSS!!!! And best of all, putting it out after smoking 1/3 of it and not worrying about wasting cigs and money. I didnt care anymore, I knew I was done with the analogs.

I wish I had discovered the e-cig years ago. My kids are soooooo jazzed that I have quit smoking, and so am I. My coworkers commented the other day that they are surprised that I havent smoked, and honestly, so am I. I was a pack a day smoker for about 25 years (ugh it sucks to even admit that!). My boss commented that he has noticed no change in my level of ".....iness" which I will choose to take as a compliment and a clear indication that using the e-cig is a great alternative to smoking. My smoking coworkers are asking questions and showing interest in the e-cig. This is awesome too! I think after a while of them seeing how successful I am with it, they will also buy into it and quit the analogs. I have already referred people to this site for information. Love this place, so glad I found it. It has helped me understand much about vaping and PV's. Last night I ordered a Joye Ego, cant wait to get it.

So HIYA ALL!! :) glad to be here!!

StonedinNY

Jan 15, 2011
NY
Wow thank's for all the help guy's. It cleared up alot of question's for me and is helping me out ALOT! I really appreciate it! I say by the end of this weekend I'll have made up my order list and be good to go. Im going to post some pic's in a little bit after my nuvocig is done charging to show you guy's what it looks like.

ONE more question lol.
I would have to order some blank cart's with my new e-cigg. Why is it that they cant be reused? Im still looking through the 6 page sticky thread on all info for e-cig's i havent seen anything on that subject yet.

ONE more question lol.
I would have to order some blank cart's with my new e-cigg. Why is it that they cant be reused? Im still looking through the 6 page sticky thread on all info for e-cig's i havent seen anything on that subject yet.

The filler is polyester and has a tendency to melt slightly on the end if it gets too dry - and then it will not wick as well. There has been a ton of experimentation with alternate fillers. In the mods forum you will see people repacking with lots of things and there are foam plug mods etc. ....

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Nice, thank's for the info guy's. trying to figure out what my budget would be while using E-cig's. 30ML lasting a month or so is pretty nice. Figure when I order my 510, I'll get 2-3 30ML liquid's with it, prices look nice on all the sites i've been looknig at.
Yeah Nuvocig seem's to be a new locally made E-cig. there's a website Nuvocig.com, they seem to be only available around my general area, unless bought online. I'll take a pic or 2 and post em on this thread to show you all what it look's like and what it come's with.
Still gonna do a bit of searching around before i actually place my order for the 510, everything ive heard on it thought seem's to be exactly what im looking for.
need to figure out what flavor i wanna go with and what eles i would need aside from the liquid.
with my nuvocig i've tried a bunch and seem to like Apple, Newport, vanilla, and coffee the best. other flavors taste kinda funny to me.
Also...What is this cotton like substance in my cart's? not sure if its just a nuvocig thing, or if the 510 cart's will have it to. If they do have it, since I'll be mixing liquid and all myself with the 510, is that cotton / fiber's in the cart's something I'll need to buy as well? or can it be reused? Sorry if this is a question already answered somewhere on here, im still searching around on this forum.

Buy Fluval or Marinland Type U found in most petstores to replace the cotton looking filler. It's aquarium filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread