New to This. Desperate to Quit Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevQ3

Jun 28, 2014
Munster, Indiana
Hey guys. Maybe I should clarify... I've been vaping off and on for almost two years maybe. I hadn't touched my equipment for over a year. Last week I was a Disney with my family and I just got tired of having to take time-outs to walk to a smoking section just to light up a cigarette and smoke it so I didn't feel like I was going to lose my mind and stab someone. It's time. I'm tired of smoking cigarettes. Tomorrow is the day I think I'm going to try to go a full 24 without a cigarette, but I'm allowing myself some grace too. My goal is to be completely cigarette free by my mom's birthday in mid-August. I could use any advice you all could give me to help me reach my goal. I'm tired of smelling bad, of having stained fingers, and of being embarrassed and hiding that I smoke cigarettes (I'm a minister...). It's time.

Reactions: philoshop

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Welcome to the board, Rev, and congratulations on making up your mind to quit. This, IMHO, is the most important ingredient. There is a bewildering plethora of gear available, and a wide variety of juices, as you probably know. If you could tell us what kind of vape gear you now have, what nicotine strength juices you are presently using, the PG/VG mix of the juices if you know, and whether or not you like what you're getting from your current set up, plus how much you smoke, it would assist us in advising you.

RevQ3

Jun 28, 2014
Munster, Indiana
Right now I'm running an Opus D (DNA 30) with a Aspire Triton I picked up today with the .4 ohm coil. Using 8mg 50/50 juice. Firing it at 27 watts and getting 3.7 volts. I can't tell if it's strong enough. I smoke about a pack or a pack and a half a day. Today, I've had 8 cigarettes and started vaping again around 11:30. So since I've started vaping I've only had 4 cigarettes. I also ordered the Opus 200 to try and bump up the voltage on this Triton. I love the tank. I liked my Nautilus but I feel like the flavor and the power of the smoke is better on this (but like I said, it's been a year so I don't know if that's a fair assumption) But I like this Triton a lot. I like the big mouthpiece and how open I can get it... I will also admit that I started using the Vuse just before going to Disney and they taste bad (not as bad as cigarettes) but work great in reducing cravings...

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I didn't set a date and played with vaping on and off (mostly off) for 3 or 4 years before it worked. During that time everything got better and once I found the right juice I haven't looked back. It took a few tries to get the equipment that would work for me all day and not require some type of maintenance along the way. Tanks and batteries have improved greatly so I was finally able to find something that worked for me this year and get away from the leaky things on ego batteries that wouldn't last a morning. The final piece of the puzzle was a juice that I thought was better than a cig instead of just a substitute for one. That was probably the biggest thing for me because once I found that I haven't wanted a cig since.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
Fear of not getting enough nic was my problem. Suggest you start out with a e liquid with plenty of nic. I vaped till I could feel the nic taking. That all I had to do. From there it should be smooth sailing.
I agree.
I smoked 1-1/2 packs a day and started with 24mg nicotine. With enough nicotine in your system, you will not want a cigarette.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Right now I'm running an Opus D (DNA 30) with a Aspire Triton I picked up today with the .4 ohm coil. Using 8mg 50/50 juice. Firing it at 27 watts and getting 3.7 volts. I can't tell if it's strong enough. I smoke about a pack or a pack and a half a day. Today, I've had 8 cigarettes and started vaping again around 11:30. So since I've started vaping I've only had 4 cigarettes. I also ordered the Opus 200 to try and bump up the voltage on this Triton. I love the tank. I liked my Nautilus but I feel like the flavor and the power of the smoke is better on this (but like I said, it's been a year so I don't know if that's a fair assumption) But I like this Triton a lot. I like the big mouthpiece and how open I can get it... I will also admit that I started using the Vuse just before going to Disney and they taste bad (not as bad as cigarettes) but work great in reducing cravings...
Very well, thank you. I feel certain the Opus 200 will provide all the power you could ever want. I have a 200W mod myself, and I'm frightened to turn it up past 100w :) For a smoker in your range, I would have recommended 18MG nicotine juices with a traditional coil (the 1.8) but subohming produces a lot more vapor and most people think about half the nic is more appropriate there. Assuming, then, you are using the .3 or .4 coils, I'd suggest 8mg is about where you need to be, at least to start. Your 50/50 juice is also not a problem, unless it's hurting your throat, in which case I would suggest a higher VG juice, call it 40/60 or even 30/70.

Finally, I notice the Opus 200 is now backordered, and since I happen to know the DNA 200 TC boards with which it is built are also, I don't think you'll get it in a hurry, unless you happen to know somebody who is in stock. I say this because the Triton coils are good only to 30 watts (.4) or 55 watts (.3) according to the Aspire website, and thus you might not really need 200 watts, unless you're going to build your own coils. This is an option with the Triton RBA head. That said, if you need more power and want it now, there are other mods in the 40-60 watt range available for shipping immediately. I will further add I probably wouldn't buy a new mod now that didn't include Temperature Control (as the DNA 200 board does). AFAIK, the Triton tank does not offer TC coils, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start in the near future, and there are other tanks that now have them. Just a thought; if this interests you, and you would be inclined to cancel your Opus order in favor of something you can have more quickly, say so and we'll run over some options.

I repeat my welcome. Come back to visit and for all the moral support you can soak up any time you feel like it :)

Last edited:

RevQ3

Jun 28, 2014
Munster, Indiana
Very well, thank you. I feel certain the Opus 200 will provide all the power you could ever want. I have a 200W mod myself, and I'm frightened to turn it up past 100w :) For a smoker in your range, I would have recommended 18MG nicotine juices with a traditional coil (the 1.8) but subohming produces a lot more vapor and most people think about half the nic is more appropriate there. Assuming, then, you are using the .3 or .4 coils, I'd suggest 8mg is about where you need to be, at least to start. Your 50/50 juice is also not a problem, unless it's hurting your throat, in which case I would suggest a higher VG juice, call it 40/60 or even 30/70.

Finally, I notice the Opus 200 is now backordered, and since I happen to know the DNA 200 TC boards with which it is built are also, I don't think you'll get it in a hurry, unless you happen to know somebody who is in stock. I say this because the Triton coils are good only to 30 watts (.4) or 55 watts (.3) according to the Aspire website, and thus you might not really need 200 watts, unless you're going to build your own coils. This is an option with the Triton RBA head. That said, if you need more power and want it now, there are other mods in the 40-60 watt range available for shipping immediately. I will further add I probably wouldn't buy a new mod now that didn't include Temperature Control (as the DNA 200 board does). AFAIK, the Triton tank does not offer TC coils, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start in the near future, and there are other tanks that now have them. Just a thought; if this interests you, and you would be inclined to cancel your Opus order in favor of something you can have more quickly, say so and we'll run over some options.

I repeat my welcome. Come back to visit and for all the moral support you can soak up any time you feel like it :)
I do have a line on getting one. I know the guy who makes them. However, I was wondering what in the world I would do with 200 watts. I thought about getting one with the DNA40 board but it seems like people have been having problems with those boards from what I can tell from just poking around. I'm not sure, to be honest, if I want to drop $200 again for a mod. So, I would be totally open to your recommendations!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
The Innokin MVP 3.0 Pro is well thought of. A 60 watt mod, without Temp Control, it has a 4500mAh battery, meaning it ought to last a couple days between charges, depending on how much you vape. The Cool Fire IV, from the same manufacturer, is a 40 watt non-TC mod getting rave reviews; 2000mAh batt on that one. Neither of these are hugely expensive-- nowhere near $200-- and having an on-board battery, they are only good for the life of the battery itself, following which they would have to be replaced, and therefore the lack of TC might not impact you much, unless you're just itching to try it. I repeat your Triton tank does not now offer TC-wire coils-- I expect that to change in the future-- so your only option on TC immediately would be to buy a tank that does, or learn how to rebuild on the Triton deck with TC wire. For a good small TC mod, The JoyeTech EVIC VT is getting good notices. It normally comes bundled with a matching tank that does offer the TC wire coils if you're interested. In addition, eLeaf is supposed to now be shipping the iStick 40watt TC mod, another of the iStick family. Your Triton would work just fine on any of them. There are, of course, many other options, so I'm just hitting the high spots here. It's a bit hard to coach you without some more specifics regarding what you might be interested in.

FWIW, I personally prefer replaceable battery mods. Lithium chemistry batteries, by their nature, suffer diminution of capacity over time and with use. With a non-replaceable battery mod, when the battery goes the mod is done and you need a new one. With replaceable batteries, you can get new batteries and use the mod as long as the electronics and connectors last. A caveat, though: IMR batteries are expensive. I heard yesterday Illumn.com has a 4 pack of Sony VTC4s on sale at 6 bucks each. Most of the good ones usually run $7-11 depending on make and model. There is much to learn about batteries if you are so inclined, so don't go off the deep end on that until we talk some more. Another expense is a charger. Many mods come with an on-board USB port to charge the batteries, but I don't like them. A good (Xtar or Intellicore) charger is going to run another $25-35, depending on how many charging slots and bells and whistles. I think they're worth it, though,as charging the batteries carefully on good gear extends the life of expensive cells. That decision was easier for me to make because I came over from mech mods and already had batteries and a charger as a sunk cost. The smallest and lightest ones are those with the on-board batteries as well, another factor to consider.

RevQ3

Jun 28, 2014
Munster, Indiana
The Innokin MVP 3.0 Pro is well thought of. A 60 watt mod, without Temp Control, it has a 4500mAh battery, meaning it ought to last a couple days between charges, depending on how much you vape. The Cool Fire IV, from the same manufacturer, is a 40 watt non-TC mod getting rave reviews; 2000mAh batt on that one. Neither of these are hugely expensive-- nowhere near $200-- and having an on-board battery, they are only good for the life of the battery itself, following which they would have to be replaced, and therefore the lack of TC might not impact you much, unless you're just itching to try it. I repeat your Triton tank does not now offer TC-wire coils-- I expect that to change in the future-- so your only option on TC immediately would be to buy a tank that does, or learn how to rebuild on the Triton deck with TC wire. For a good small TC mod, The JoyeTech EVIC VT is getting good notices. It normally comes bundled with a matching tank that does offer the TC wire coils if you're interested. In addition, eLeaf is supposed to now be shipping the iStick 40watt TC mod, another of the iStick family. Your Triton would work just fine on any of them. There are, of course, many other options, so I'm just hitting the high spots here. It's a bit hard to coach you without some more specifics regarding what you might be interested in.

FWIW, I personally prefer replaceable battery mods. Lithium chemistry batteries, by their nature, suffer diminution of capacity over time and with use. With a non-replaceable battery mod, when the battery goes the mod is done and you need a new one. With replaceable batteries, you can get new batteries and use the mod as long as the electronics and connectors last. A caveat, though: IMR batteries are expensive. I heard yesterday Illumn.com has a 4 pack of Sony VTC4s on sale at 6 bucks each. Most of the good ones usually run $7-11 depending on make and model. There is much to learn about batteries if you are so inclined, so don't go off the deep end on that until we talk some more. Another expense is a charger. Many mods come with an on-board USB port to charge the batteries, but I don't like them. A good (Xtar or Intellicore) charger is going to run another $25-35, depending on how many charging slots and bells and whistles. I think they're worth it, though,as charging the batteries carefully on good gear extends the life of expensive cells. That decision was easier for me to make because I came over from mech mods and already had batteries and a charger as a sunk cost. The smallest and lightest ones are those with the on-board batteries as well, another factor to consider.
So I went out and did some research and looking at devises on lunch today and walked out with the Evic VT. Liked the size, liked the weight, liked the screen, and liked the promise of battery life. So far, it's pretty nice!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
So I went out and did some research and looking at devises on lunch today and walked out with the Evic VT. Liked the size, liked the weight, liked the screen, and liked the promise of battery life. So far, it's pretty nice!
Sweeeeeeet, and a sound choice. Did you get just the mod, or the starter kit with the EGO atty as well? Either way, enjoy! Holler back if we can do anything else for you. And drop by any time to share your experience with those less knowledgeable, or just to visit.

Reactions: RevQ3

RevQ3

Jun 28, 2014
Munster, Indiana
Sweeeeeeet, and a sound choice. Did you get just the mod, or the starter kit with the EGO atty as well? Either way, enjoy! Holler back if we can do anything else for you. And drop by any time to share your experience with those less knowledgeable, or just to visit.
I got it in the kit. Figured it couldn't hurt to have a few tanks, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread