New to vaping & 5 days cigarette free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clint.allan

Feb 11, 2017
Hi All,

So I decided to give this vaping a try to stop smoking and cannot believe it actually works! I haven't had a cigarette for 5 days now and that has got to be the longest since I started at 16 (35 now).

I have bought 15mg 10ml for my first bottle (menthol) and intend to buy 10mg when this runs out (half a bottle used over 5 days) and then 5mg when that runs out. When the 5mg runs out I'll buy nicotine free.

Do you think my plan is achievable? I'm already delighted I've managed to stop the cigarettes. I didn't have much faith but it really has worked. I've tried everything else available but never lasted more than a day. The worst being patches, they gave me nightmares!!

One thing I have noticed. I have friends that vape and they seem to be using their machines every few minutes. I was scared I'd end up like that but I have found I vape as often as I smoked (about 1 every 2 hours ciggies now 5 or 6 blasts on the vaper).

Clint

clint.allan

Feb 11, 2017
Welcome to ECF clint.allan :)

That is what works with vaping - you can use it however YOU want to...customize it for YOUR needs
So do you think it's achievable? All the threads I'm reading suggest to drop every month. I don't want to vape, I want to quit! Do you think I'm wanting too much too quickly or do you think it's achievable?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My opinion is maybe not, that's fast. Get through the first 20-30 days without pressuring yourself... you might well need it... 5 days is not 'the end' for many people.

Double or triple the time frame and you're more likely to succeed.

However, if you can manage it, why not.

As for chain vaping, whilst I don't like to preach, half the reason people vape so much is because of the fear of high nicotine liquid and the 'encouragement' of the vaping industry to vape lower strength liquid at high power - and we all know what that is about. ($$$)

I vape like I smoked (the same as you by the sounds of it) and am still on a downward journey with the nicotine strength. 24 - 18 - 12 - 6 - 4

Anyway, it's great to hear you have quit the smokes. More power to you! :)

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

It's up to you how you want to achieve your goals.

I wouldn't set my goals so high but that's just me.

I have quit a lot of bad habits in my life but the one that was hardest for me was smoking.

I'd quit for a year or 5, then something would make me have the urge again and I was back to it.

I don't plan to quit vaping. It may happen some day though.

Even though vaping isn't 100% safe, I'm not too concerned about any possible bad effects caused by vaping.

Reactions: RainSong

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, you are your own guide. I started out much higher than you and thought to be down to zero nic by Friday...but, I still vape. Sometimes zero, but more often 2%. The idea that I sit when I vape is a good reason to sit and relax. I don't bother in my office. But with morning coffee and sitting on the porch or with company, I do. Sitting for a spell is good.

Qudos for drive

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Hello...my actual name is Allan...don't see that spelling often. I was a 40 year 3 pad smoker so started at 24mg. After nearly 5 years I'm down to 1.5mg.

How quickly you can get off of nicotine will depend a lot on how much you smoked and for how long. Sounds like you were a 1/2 day smoker?

I doubt that you can go nic free in just a few days or weeks, but more power to you if you can. You might want to have a tank of 0mg and a tank of 5-10mg. Go nic free for part of the day...see how it goes.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
As others have said you decide how you want to do it Clint. But here's one thing I did that might help.
BEFORE your 15mg runs out, get some 10mg, or 12. Then if you find you are vaping too often you can sub in more nicotine. Also, your timeframe is ambitious, but I hope it works. I have been 2.5 years and now switch between 3mg and 6 mg depending on the mood etc. also, I may always carry a vape in certain situations. If I'm out drinking with friends who smoke, I'm gonna want a vape to keep me from bumming one. Know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Hi @clint.allan !!! Welcome to the forums. Glad to hear you have been off smokes for almost a week. Congratulations on the first step. My theory is if you want to quit completely, it is all in will power. You need that to accomplish what you want. I think it is possible..... With many that have gone to the way of vaping to quit smoking, they actually wanted to quit smoking/ find a healthier alternative to smoking analogs. It was in their will power to do so and achieved. So, with that said, I wish you the best and am rooting for you!!! You can do it!!!!

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I would say that's a little too idealistic, and suggest to spread it out. Just keep at it, and you'll succeed. However, everyone is different. You very well may be able to follow your time frame. I've been analog-free for three weeks. First week I used a blu e-cig at 24 mg nic. Next weekend I bought a Kanger Subvod, and use mostly 3 mg nic with the occasional 6 mg nic. However, when I use my Subvod, I tend to chain vape a little more, but also remember that, with analogs, the nicotine enters your system pretty quick, while it takes a little longer with vaping. If you find that you're not able to follow your time frame, just spread it out a little more, and don't give up, and it will happen.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and Welcome- Congrats on being cigarette free for a week! Next, best of luck on your plan to quit vaping too! May I suggest when you quit vaping- clean your vape and put it away in a drawer for any cravings that may show up later.
I wouldn't want to see you run out and get a pack of cigs as your backup plan- slippery slope there!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi All,
So I decided to give this vaping a try to stop smoking and cannot believe it actually works! I haven't had a cigarette for 5 days now and that has got to be the longest since I started at 16 (35 now).
I have bought 15mg 10ml for my first bottle (menthol) and intend to buy 10mg when this runs out (half a bottle used over 5 days) and then 5mg when that runs out. When the 5mg runs out I'll buy nicotine free.
Do you think my plan is achievable? I'm already delighted I've managed to stop the cigarettes. I didn't have much faith but it really has worked. I've tried everything else available but never lasted more than a day. The worst being patches, they gave me nightmares!!
One thing I have noticed. I have friends that vape and they seem to be using their machines every few minutes. I was scared I'd end up like that but I have found I vape as often as I smoked (about 1 every 2 hours ciggies now 5 or 6 blasts on the vaper).Clint
Welcome and glad you joined. Your plan looks good to me. Nic is not really the habit forming big gorilla in the house government would like us to believe.
Could check:
The Great Nicotine Myth
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
May 2016 / Smoking Vapor
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Ablonz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread