New to vaping.. Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bzone

Jul 4, 2019
Hi All,
I have been a light to moderate smoker for around 15 years. I have started vaping 5 days back. With a mod and 3mg vg/pg 50/50 flavoured liquid.

I havent had any issue by smoking when I stopped completely and started vaping.

But from the second day I started vaping ( twice a day, 2ml liquid lasted for 3 days) i started having whizzing in my chest, coughing and my voice has completely changed and sounds like a broken drum, totally hoarse.

I thought its just my body adjusting to this new stuff but 5 days down I still feel the same way.. i hardly vape a couple of times a day less than even 2ml 3mg liquid.

Any pointers would be helpful if somebody faced this. This is really discouraging.

Cheers
BZ.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I also had some odd sounds and feeling from my lungs when I quit smoking and started vaping. I then started coughing up some dark phlegm, and it cleared up. Not sure it is the same thing you are going through, as I don't have a PhD or the ability to diagnose medical issues online, but I am instead just sharing one of my experiences.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Agree about higher VG being worth a try. I couldn't find any of the popular online vendors that sell the juice you are using. There are many popular brands out there, so maybe try a different (and more popular) brand?

Definitely agree with week 1 can be rough when switching to vaping. Entirely different experience, and I too had some initial WTH reactions, but it cleared up. For many, at some point the thought of a ciggy becomes obnoxious and vaping feels (and tastes) better.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Welcome! When I switched, I was using 50/50 on a pod also. It took several weeks for my lungs to clear out, then I was getting lightheaded off the oxygen for a few days. Your voice will change. It will return to a more normal register, as your throat will no longer have to figh the tar, or at least that's how I feel it happened for me. Also, if I try to speak while exhali g a cloud, I notice a reverse helium like effect. Not nearly as dramatic, but there.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
When in doubt, just remember how hard it was to start smoking. Spinning head, nausea, coughing, all for that tenuous high you were chasing. You forced your body to endure that for 15 years. Quitting smoking means depriving yourself of cigarette poisons and that comes with a whole host of symptoms that can persist for weeks. Vapes are not magic, they just supply a bit of nic to take the edge off the craving. Don't jump to conclusions.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
be sure that always you have a bottle of fresh water to help the cleaning process, also take on mind that low VG liquids tend to irritate a bit more due PG concentration, 70 / 30 or 80/20 mix could provide better experience and tick clouds as well too,

i noticed some issues when started, i used to enjoy a quite cold soda or cola when vaping to avoid this kinda situation,

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Your body goes through a lot of changes when you quit cigarettes. The lining of your air passages regain their ability to clear out secretions and junk which was inhibited by the cigarette smoke. So part may well be just that. Citrus flavorings such as orange and especially lemon (limonene is the chemical involved) can irritate some people and cause wheezing. Cinnamon is another flavoring irritant. So switching juices may well help you. I have an EQ as well, but have never used anything thicker than 50/50, so no idea if a high VG will work in it.

Remember, you also were a smoker. That damages your lungs. While this is likely related to quitting and starting vaping you still want to be sure nothing else is going on, so if this is persisting and you're wheezing see you doctor. No one here can give you medical information and guidance. See a real doctor to check it out and not just take reassurance from faceless posters on an internet forum. But until you get that appointment and go, get yourself a different juice without citrus (or cinnamon) in it and see if it helps. Good luck and feel better.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Eh, it's your body adapting from cigarette smoke to vaper. It'll ease off in time.

With all of the thousands of juice recipes out there it can be daunting to figure out whether it is the juice or device.

Different coils can also play a role. Now the EQ uses a proven type with a ton of users who swear by them.

One thing I figured out after a brief period was increasing the amount of VG in my juice led to more satisfying vaping. 50/50 was just too harsh for me and made me cough a lot. For me 70% VG was a good compromise for pod use. 80%+ clogged the wicks too fast. 60% was much better than 50/50 but the 70 seems a tad bit smoother.

Sweeter juice can also make a difference but at first you'll just have to try a few. Perhaps a local vape shop will let you sample some juices. Many charge a dollar to join their club to satisfy federal regs but it sure helps cut the learning curve without wasting a bunch of money. Grape was my favorite at first.

The EQ is a nice little device. Good choice.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread