new to vaping, thinking about an RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
My personal favorite RDA's are the Little Boy and the Royal Hunter. 88 evapes has the Little Boy clone in colors and it's a nice RDA. The airflow is really easy to adjust and the juice well is pretty deep, so I don't have to constantly re-drip. They go for $10.99 at 88 evapes, which is the best price I've found on 'em.

Got the Royal Hunter this week from Vapor Beast, and it's also a great RDA! (But it's three times the price of a Little Boy clone) Like the Little Boy, the Royal Hunter's post holes are large enough to easily fit 24 gauge Kanthal, the RH juice well is REALLY deep and the spitback screen on the drip tip does a good job of keeping juice out of my mouth.

Plume Veils are good, too...easy to build, very little leakage, no spitback if I screw the drip tip all the way upto the top. All of these RDA's are great on flavor, but with the right build, they can chuck clouds, too! Just a little warning...if your mod can't go above 30 watts, you'll want to build around .4 - 1.0 ohms. Go lower than .4 ohms, and I don't think it will fire at 30 watts.

I hated the Freakshow - bottom fed air flow on an RDA means a ton of juice all over the place. Hope this helps, and happy hunting, Rkdann!

Tony16

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
You say pretty new to vaping, me too, did same thing for same reason about two weeks ago,it's kind fun when it works well, I didn't do too bad, kinda got the hang of it enough now, got good build I like now just changing wicks.
I hope your ok with ohms law etc. I have istick50. You can use ohm reader on that but you might want to buy one soon, I feel better bc they read down to .01 ( 100ths) and you can use them to build on. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube for different build and wraps for different ideas until you find ones you like.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Which direction you going with your RDA?

Flavor with Good Vapor you'll need a narrow or reduced chamber - examples Helios, Derringer, IGO-W V1, Atomic, Nimbus
A lot of Vapor with Good Flavor with a lot of airflow - examples Mutation X, Doge, Vector, Dark Horse
Or and Balance of both Flavor and Vapor with median airflow - examples Patriot, Plume Veil, Tugboat

hth

Reactions: 4lph4num3r1c

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
an rda is a good thing to have.

but no need to jump to high power too fast.

a dry hit at 10 watts is bad enough.
Just because he gets a 150w, doesn't mean he's going to use all of it. It's better to have it, and not use it, than need it and not have it.
To the OP. Before making any kind of consideration about what RDA you want, learn the more important stuff first. Ohms Law and battery safety. Then learn about it more. Your first purchase should be an ohm reader. The ohm readers on mods, are not as accurate. Plus you can use it to check your build and your mod. You can get plenty of info here and on youtube. Then you can decide what type of vape you want from your RDA and choose accordingly. My two favorites right now are the Hastur and the Velocity(clone). They are vastly different, with different styles of vaping. Out of the two, I would recommend the Velocity. Deep juice wells help you keep from over dripping and dry hits, and it's the easiest RDA I've ever built on.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMS62

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Just because he gets a 150w, doesn't mean he's going to use all of it. It's better to have it, and not use it, than need it and not have it.
To the OP. Before making any kind of consideration about what RDA you want, learn the more important stuff first. Ohms Law and battery safety. Then learn about it more. Your first purchase should be an ohm reader. The ohm readers on mods, are not as accurate. Plus you can use it to check your build and your mod. You can get plenty of info here and on youtube. Then you can decide what type of vape you want from your RDA and choose accordingly. My two favorites right now are the Hastur and the Velocity(clone). They are vastly different, with different styles of vaping. Out of the two, I would recommend the Velocity. Deep juice wells help you keep from over dripping and dry hits, and it's the easiest RDA I've ever built on.
Exactly. I have both the Sig 150w and 150TC and I have never gone past 75 watts yet.....but I really like the duel 18650s because I only have to swap out batteries every other day.

Toxic Sadness

Apr 11, 2013
United States
I was asking the exact same question 2 months ago :) I have a derringer and a plume veil plus I rebuild my Subtank mini. Since learning to build, I have started to find my style. I'm a single coil kinda gal. I had a Petri Dotmod clone but not my style as its really made for duel coils......no single coil air option. The derringer is small to build on, the plume veil on the other hand is a 4post with plenty of room. Just be careful the delrin adjustable top......I melted it to my coils first time lol
My istick 30 works great for my building style, but...
I'm thinking of going bigger just bc I'd like more battery life. :)
Best wishes on taking the next step!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
RDA is so old school.
surely you can find something more advanced with
a higher learning curve and complications and maintenance
that goes with it.go for it.
don't you want your friends to all go
wow,just wow?
;)
mike

:facepalm:

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
sSig_iagree.gif
That's the same one I use

Reactions: R2sojr
All hobbyist vapors should have an RDA even if its not the your primary device. But I agree with everyone else, with the new sub ohm tanks, you won't want to use your RDA as a primary as it can get a bit tedious with the rebuilding and easy leakage. (Check out these sub ohm tanks: Crown, Atlantis, Herekles). One of the benefits to having an RDA is the ability to change flavors at will; this is especially good for when you go to brick and mortar's to try out some of their flavors.

As for RDA's go, it's really a matter of preference. Here's a few things to look for:
• Obviously, the first thing you want to look at is the color and design to make sure it matches your mod and you like it :)
• Depending on the gauge of wire you use, make sure the posts have holes big enough to feed the wire through easily. My first RDA I couldn't fit lower than 28g in the center post (2 times for dual coil).
• Juice Well! I suggest you get something that has a big well so you don't leak easily and have space to easily but your coils and cotton without struggling. (I have very shaky hands so this was a concern for me).

Regarding your mod - if you're going to use an RDA, I suggest you get something that isn't a bottom button. Makes it super annoying to put down because you have to lock it and unlock it to use again. Also, I would suggest using a regulated mod over a mech. So many nice ones out (I personally use the sigelli 150) but that's another discussion in itself, but you may want to upgrade what you have now.

Just be careful with the RDA, make sure you learn how to build and how watts, ohms/coil resistance, etc. work together and read up on battery safety.

Good luck!

Reactions: Rkdann

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
All hobbyist vapors should have an RDA even if its not the your primary device. But I agree with everyone else, with the new sub ohm tanks, you won't want to use your RDA as a primary as it can get a bit tedious with the rebuilding and easy leakage. (Check out these sub ohm tanks: Crown, Atlantis, Herekles). One of the benefits to having an RDA is the ability to change flavors at will; this is especially good for when you go to brick and mortar's to try out some of their flavors.

As for RDA's go, it's really a matter of preference. Here's a few things to look for:
• Obviously, the first thing you want to look at is the color and design to make sure it matches your mod and you like it :)
• Depending on the gauge of wire you use, make sure the posts have holes big enough to feed the wire through easily. My first RDA I couldn't fit lower than 28g in the center post (2 times for dual coil).
• Juice Well! I suggest you get something that has a big well so you don't leak easily and have space to easily but your coils and cotton without struggling. (I have very shaky hands so this was a concern for me).

Regarding your mod - if you're going to use an RDA, I suggest you get something that isn't a bottom button. Makes it super annoying to put down because you have to lock it and unlock it to use again. Also, I would suggest using a regulated mod over a mech. So many nice ones out (I personally use the sigelli 150) but that's another discussion in itself, but you may want to upgrade what you have now.

Just be careful with the RDA, make sure you learn how to build and how watts, ohms/coil resistance, etc. work together and read up on battery safety.

Good luck!
Actually, I don't agree. About the sub tanks vs RDA preference. I know I'm not the only one, who prefers the flavor of an RDA over tanks. For me the building is worth it, because I can customize my vape anyway I like, and not depend on anything pre-built. Oh, and did I mention the FLAVOR? I only use my sub tanks (Herakles and ijust 2) when out and about, and dripping could get cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread