New Vaper from Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Hi all,

I just want to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. My name is Steve and I am living in Tokyo. I started vaping a little over a week ago, and just accidentally quit smoking. I wasn't even planning to, I just haven't bought any cigs since.

In Tokyo they sell ecigs in convenience stores, but they are all non nic models. I guess I really tried one a few weeks back, but without the nic it wasn't doing the job. At least it gave me enough of a test to realize that perhaps there was something to this whole ecig thing and I ended up ordering a 901 and some nic juice just figuring I'd give it a try. I haven't looked back. It is still early, and I am sure if the Ecig wasn't available I'd be looking for something to smoke, but as a long term smoker, I feel these things are a miracle!

Anyhow hello to all you fellow vapers out there and I certainly hope you are enjoying your vaping, and if it has helped you quit then a hearty congratulations!

Cheers,

CB

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Thanks gice. I agree wholeheartedly! It hasn't been long but I still can't believe how much better I feel. I guess the other times I have quit and managed to last a while all of the negatives of the experience blocked out most of the positive aspects. I am actually in a position where I don't want to smoke. I really don't want to go back to it. That is an amazing feeling!

superfrog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
North Virginia
Welcome Steve, and damn do I envy you. Lived in Yokosuka for 14 1/2 years, and really miss it. Congrats on the e-cigs, ur proly better off with the non-nic, but your off the analogs. Funny, 6 months ago I was dreaming of the day I'd walk into town, to a vending machine and pay 320 yen for name brand smokes, and I was paying up to $9 over here!

Well, I'll be back in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Aomori, and Saitama stomping around before too long.

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Hi TexasT,

I am originally from Canada and Love Sapporo, it reminds me of home!

gice, I think I am on Day 10. I didn't really track it because I never expected to quit!

Greetings Superfrog,

Wow 14 1/2 years is a looong bloody time. I've been here 10 1/2 and it has just flown by. Japan is definitely not a place that is conducive to quitting smoking. Vaping will certainly cost me more because I am a gadget freak and smoke are 300 yen per pack local 320 for US brands (though they are going up in October due to a tax hike). I'll hopefully get to non nic eventually, but for now I am just going to work on replacing my habit. I really really feel my nic fits. I am living on the outskirts of Tokyo in Machida, right near the border with Kanagawa ken. Next time you come let's do a beer/vape/Yakitori night!

Hello MistressNomad,

I like the 901, but after a week the battery life is getting to me, and I feel the battery hole is too big and I don't get enough vapor/TH unless I tap it while inhaling. Being a gadget geek (see above) I have a 501, 801 and and eGo coming that should be waiting for me whne I get home (currently in Manila). I am really looking forward to the eGo after everything I have read here, but I also am looking forward to trying the 801 on some tasty juice.

Tonight I am on 11mg menthol, and 18mg Licorice as they are the only 2 I brought with me. Using the trusty 901 (wish my USB passthrough had arrived). Holy Crap MistressNomad, you joined in June and have 1100 posts! You are an ubermember!

So what model here is everyone Vaping with?

Cheers,

CB

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
Hello Steve , and welcome to the forum.. how are the prices for ecigs and supplies in Tokyo. im useing a Riva eGo 3.7 with cartomizers, been vaping for 4 weeks now and not had a tabacco cig in 4 weeks .. but this vaping stuff is getting expensive in 4 weeks ive spent just about 300.00 bucks. starting to think about quitting everything. Maybe vape up my stock of juice then decide what i will do next.. peace out..

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Hi santo,

The stuff they sell in the convenience stores is really not so great. I think they have some kind of cartomized 901 as the batteries will fit my 901, and I can use them in an emergency. They sell for about $10 bucks. But in Japan, no nic juice. I order all my vaping stuff online direct from China. Shipping is cheap and delivery is quick as China is close by. If you are a bit of a gear head like me, vaping can get expensive! But I have no desire to stop. I am looking forward to my eGo arriving!

I do have a question, are the eGo and Riva the exact same thing with a different branding, or are they slightly different?

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I vape a Kr808D-1, 510, and sometimes 901 atomizers on my Kr808D-1 battery (it fits with no adapter - and the Kr8 battery goes much longer). Right now... My Kr8 with RY4 juice. Yummy.

If you're looking for a bit more kick, the 510 should help with that. The 901 is definitely a pretty gentle vape.

The eGo and the Riva are different, in that they are made by different manufacturers. But they work exactly the same way. They go with 510 atomizers, look a bit like a cigar, and have a nifty button. For all intents and purpose, they're the same, except that the Riva has longer battery life than a standard eGo (though you can get XL eGo batteries as well).

And yes, I am a bit of an ECF junkie, heh.

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Hi Pav,

It is odd. They are available in the convenience stores (no nic) but I have to see another vaper (except my wife who I will convert once I get the new equipment in.) The ones at the convenience stores tend to look like generic disposable models, but the batteries on some of them will fit my 901. My wife will vape on this when she is driving as we stopped smoking in the car a few years back.

I have gotten a few people interested so I think there will be more converts soon :). The thing about Japan is it is still a relatively smoking friendly place. When I got here (10 years ago!!!) you could smoke pretty much everywhere. I work in an office building and each floor has a smoking section. Smokes are like $3.00 to $3.50 a pack and you can buy them from vending machines that are everywhere. When you go to business meetings at some of the older companies, you may still find ashtrays in the conference rooms. Things are changing here so I expect more people will experiment with vaping.

superfrog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
North Virginia
Hi TexasT,

I am originally from Canada and Love Sapporo, it reminds me of home!

gice, I think I am on Day 10. I didn't really track it because I never expected to quit!

Greetings Superfrog,

Wow 14 1/2 years is a looong bloody time. I've been here 10 1/2 and it has just flown by. Japan is definitely not a place that is conducive to quitting smoking. Vaping will certainly cost me more because I am a gadget freak and smoke are 300 yen per pack local 320 for US brands (though they are going up in October due to a tax hike). I'll hopefully get to non nic eventually, but for now I am just going to work on replacing my habit. I really really feel my nic fits. I am living on the outskirts of Tokyo in Machida, right near the border with Kanagawa ken. Next time you come let's do a beer/vape/Yakitori night!

Hello MistressNomad,

I like the 901, but after a week the battery life is getting to me, and I feel the battery hole is too big and I don't get enough vapor/TH unless I tap it while inhaling. Being a gadget geek (see above) I have a 501, 801 and and eGo coming that should be waiting for me whne I get home (currently in Manila). I am really looking forward to the eGo after everything I have read here, but I also am looking forward to trying the 801 on some tasty juice.

Tonight I am on 11mg menthol, and 18mg Licorice as they are the only 2 I brought with me. Using the trusty 901 (wish my USB passthrough had arrived). Holy Crap MistressNomad, you joined in June and have 1100 posts! You are an ubermember!

So what model here is everyone Vaping with?

Cheers,

CB

Asahi Super Dry! That imitation crap we get over here is terrible! Machida, know it well. One of my ex's lived up that way. Yakitori or tako-yaki, yeah! Luckly, my wife is from Aomori, so I still get the taste of good Japanese food at home, including natto. Been in the states for going on three years, and miss lots about the Far East. When I get over there, I'll have to bring some of my tea and desert flavors for ya.

CB-in-Tokyo

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Tokyo
Asahi Super Dry! That imitation crap we get over here is terrible! Machida, know it well. One of my ex's lived up that way. Yakitori or tako-yaki, yeah! Luckly, my wife is from Aomori, so I still get the taste of good Japanese food at home, including natto. Been in the states for going on three years, and miss lots about the Far East. When I get over there, I'll have to bring some of my tea and desert flavors for ya.

Ahh I can't drink Super Dry (though I like it) I find it gives me a brutal head ache the next day. I tend to be a Kirin Ichiban Shibori or Yebisu drinker.

How is your wife adjusting to life Stateside? My wife is interested in living in Canada, but we both want to stay in Japan.

Yes please, bring some flavours!

よろしくお願いします!

Cheers,

CB

Tdol

Jul 28, 2010
Japan
Steve,
I am in Tokyo and started with zero nic from a convenience store a few months ago, which was enough to get me off cigarettes. After a trip home, I picked up a taste for stronger juice and would like to get some here. Do you know if there are there any possible problems with getting it sent in? Do the restrictions simply apply to the sale of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread