New York Suffolk County Bans E-Cig Public Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravengrim

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
Florida
Strange how no one says anything about this.
You'd think with things being the way they are now that everyone would be saying sorry and wondering if they had done enough to help their fellow vapers in Suffolk County.
Once it starts it spreads,just because it isn't happening in your front yard yet doesn't mean it won't happen to you personally soon enough.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There is nothing to laugh about, unfortunately, in today's two top stories. The Suffolk ban makes e-cigs no better than tobacco cigarettes. E-smokers will get tossed out into the cold this coming winter, unable to legally smoke even at their work desk.

Over on vaporsforum, you could find out that Spikey and the Long Island Vapors Club worked long and hard to gather and present facts to this board. They met with them individually to explain all the science we know about e-smoking. They spoke at all public meetings considering the ban. And they lost. Not by a little, either. 12-1 against e-cigs.

Yes, it will spread. Yes, it is harbinger to things to come. As I wrote to Spikey, the handwriting is on the wall. Read it. It's very clear and all the "common sense" and cute ploys to make an end run around laws will be futile.

The fat lady is singing.

I'm at a loss as to what can be done now. Spikey did a great job. The only conclusion that can be reached is that NO job will be good enough now.

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
12-1

They say that all the taxes on smoking happens, because more non-smokers vote.

I bet the 12 don't smoke at all, and maybe the one did. IDK.

I mean they really can't stop you. I vape all the time, and just hold it in a little so no vapor comes out. It's not like it leaves a smell behind.....

I can see this going across the nation WHICH SUCKS, because I don't want to be stuck with smokers. I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL OF SMOKE!

They need a E-Cig section AWAY FROM the SMOKERS SECTION!

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
There is nothing to laugh about, unfortunately, in today's two top stories

The laugh was rhetorical, not literal. I chuckled out of pity that you live in a country run by nuts with an agenda. It's not funny at all, it's criminal. Especially when you put forward a logical and reasoned arguement and it gets ignored by puritans with a hatred of all things their little zealot hearts would term as 'evil'.
I would say that you guys need to raise the tone of your arguement as reasoned debate is not working.

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
Well for one, does it say it by LAW that you are able to use them in your own house? Meaning that it's not total illegal?

I guess a state law, or federal law would over throw it tho.....So no major win even if it's in the books as that.

I wonder what the fine is for vapping?

I for one always thought you should be able to smoke in Government Buildings because the smokers paid a sin tax to be able to smoke.

ravengrim

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
Florida
Reason,science and truth are the only things we have on our sides.
To agree with Tropical Bob if the manufacturers of e-liquid or devices or both had just done what they should have done in the first place this wouldn't even be an issue right now.
Had they even done half of what I've seen the re-sellers in The U.K. have to do just to sell their devices and liquid and carts things might not be this way.
So it's all of us who get to pay for this now.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
Reason,science and truth are the only things we have on our sides.
To agree with Tropical Bob if the manufacturers of e-liquid or devices or both had just done what they should have done in the first place this wouldn't even be an issue right now.
Had they even done half of what I've seen the re-sellers in The U.K. have to do just to sell their devices and liquid and carts things might not be this way.
So it's all of us who get to pay for this now.

Yes, that is true. Give the lawmakers an inch and they will take a yard. The trick is to never offer the inch to begin with ...
Companies like Intelicig are leading the way, fortunately for us, in the UK. Their quality control is second to none.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Nitewriter--Appreciate the link there. Unlike the ECA, TB is correct that Spikey et al did all they could and more and did a great job. The writing has been on the wall for more then half a year now. In my opinion the ECA has failed and there is not much we can do to stop the train now. What an unfortunate crossroad we have come upon.

Sun

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
SLD: That's the correct summary -- vaping is smoking. And that's something many of us, myself included, never wanted written into the law. I wanted vaping to become socially acceptable, something that was legal to do in public. This board said that will not happen.

Those who took up vaping for perceived health benefits will now have to share air space with cigarette smokers. Those who took up vaping to practice it at their desks will now have to clock out and go outdoors -- off the property, in some cases -- to take an e-smoke break. That's not what many of us wanted.

It's a bitter legal pill to swallow. Spikey did a job few others could have done, much less would have done. Now she's tired. And beaten. There's no recount with this vote.

And, BTW, it was 12-1. Spikey's tabulation included 5 abstentions and one "not present". Those don't count in the final tally.

12-1.

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
More or less it will come down too in all cases in my eyes.

well I really don't care if it's safe or not you are exhaling something around me. I don't want to inhale that. So you are more like a smoker than a non-smoker, because your adding something into the air around me. I don't have a choice, but to inhale what your vapping. So I'm going to vote against it.

el lobo furtivo

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Akron, OH
In essence, vapers in this county are being sentenced out to the cold to 'smoke' with the smokers, correct? That's as ludicrous as making all vegetarians or all left-handed people drink their pop standing next to people smoking. WE ARE NOT SMOKERS! The government is arbitrarily classifying us with smokers and thus, endangering our health with this ruling. I would think this could be overruled with a lawsuit. We just need rock solid proof our e-cigs are not dangerous. Where are our suppliers/manufacturers with the test results?!?!?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
It's not nationwide, mind you. This is a localized law. You are correct that it's a county.

The reasons spelled out in the law would blunt any attempted lawsuit. That's not really an option. Those within this jurisdiction will have to live with the results of this vote, and try -- down the road -- to sway opinion to the rightness of e-smoking's cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread