New ZERO owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Like many, I was interested in a pod system- for it's portability (smaller size) and reduced clouds (at work) vs the typical .5 ohm at ~40W or 1.0 ohm at 25W devices I use.
Just received my Zero today.
After a few hours- I am very underwhelmed - but it could be me, defective pod, or just not 'my cup of tea'.
SET-UP
I filled the pod and did let it sit for a full 20 minutes.
I set the device to the highest wattage setting. (assuming it would still be less overall vape than I'm used to)
I am using DIY juice- 70/30 PG/VG. I usually use around 3% of flavoring- which is probably lighter than most commercial bought liquids, but I do enjoy the flavor on my regular devices, tanks. I used e liquid I had made up- 6 mg (which I know will need to be increased with a pod).

I was not chain vaping through the process. I was taking about a 4-5 second vape each time. Issues I am having:
1. On quite a few vapes- sometimes after I let it sit for 5-10 minutes- I could hear the device turning on and off as I vaped- I guess because of the temp control (one of the reasons I liked the Zero). After reducing the power down to medium level, fewer than before, it would still cycle on/off. At the lowest setting I haven't noticed it.
2. Flavor is less than non-existent. No flavor "at all" not even a hint. I feel as though I am tasting the wicking material. (My mouth feels extremely dry. Like after a burnt hit on a device.
3. While vaping at the higher setting- there were 3-4 vapes where the mouthpiece got VERY uncomfortably hot. Didn't burn, but another 1-2 seconds and I feel it would have burnt my lips.

I have a feeling this pod's coil may be (A) dead due to 'mis-use' / set-up or (B) a factory dud.
So before I repeat any errors with another pod- I asking for assistance.

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
hm.. i am sorry for you. Really bad experience.
I do own a zero as well. Until now never auto fired.

First i would change the POD. The coils are made out of ceramic. This can bring you the dry feeling in your mouth.
Maybe your liquid is too thin and some of it somehow came into the auto draw airflow. Take the pod out and suck a few time on the device to see if get liquid or condensation out of it. Check if you have "wet" places inside the chamber where the pod sits.
About flavour... Most of the pods i tested did not brought good flavour. Had to mix more into my liquid. Went up to 20% and then i got a satisfying vape out of them. With some other pods i could went down to 10. Now i stopped in the middle with 15%. 60VG/40PG FreeBase.
The hot feeling on your mouthpiece points to me for a damages ceramic coil inside your pod. Try to replace.
Good Luck!

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
To clarify- it did not auto fire. While actively vaping it would turn on and off- as if the temp control was kicking in due to over heating (Sorry if I was not clear)- Auto firing can be scary and dangerous- my Zero did not auto fire. It was odd that after sitting unused for 5-10 minutes a 3 second draw would trigger the over heating protection (if that is what was happening).
Between the hot mouthpiece and the temp control kicking in- it seems like there was too much heat being created.
Boosting the flavor (as well as the nic level) I was expecting that going into this.
@ArminF - was that the flavor level you settled in at 15% or nic level)? What do you use in a more conventional tank set up?
How much did you adjust your nic level?

I appreciate the info- thank-you, I'll give a new pod a shot.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Sorry to hear about your issues. I agree with Armin that it is probably a defective pod and would try a new one. I have 4 of these and have never had that issue.

It could be a faulty device as well which is throwing to much power to the pod and it's burning up the coil. Not heard of may issues like that but never know, a bad one could have slipped past QC. I've never had a pod where it was hot to the touch or the battery for that matter has never been hot. So if a new pod does the same thing, could be the Zero is defective.

As for flavor, I use either menthol or tobacco DIY juice (50/50 pg/vg at 18mg regular nic) and the flavor is not bad. Not as flavorful as if I was using a mod/tank system, but not that diluted either. It's the trade off for having a compact system in my view. In all honesty, I'm not really a flavor chaser anymore. I like some taste to let me know somethings there. As long as it is palatable, I'm good. Probably why I like pod systems, the flavor trade off don't bother me.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
I let another one soak- and so far so good.
Flavor is too light- but that was expected. I can always adjust that. SO afr none of that "dry" mouth feel.
Will also need to increase nic level, which I also expected.
Most importantly- no auto temp shut off, no hot mouthpiece- even on the higher wattage. Will have to see how the first 2ml go- but I'm thinking my first pod was a defect. Glad I bought extra pods or the zero would be a very small and light paperweight until I ordered more. (As many reviewers have said- all POD devices should come with 2 pods, in case one is a dud)

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: Vicman

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
@proax9
autofire is really a scarry thing. Glad it did not.

I went from DL back to MTL. So from 2Nic to 8. I made a calculation to reach the same level.
Had DL 25ML with 2 is 50. And 6ML with 8 is 48. Just to have a level to start with.
About flavour. Custards, cremes is the flavour i do like. Most of my flavours made from capella, TPA and some french and uk concentrates. Usually had 10% with 80VG. But for the MTL and pods taste changes a bit so i went up to 20% with the same and now down to 15 as i do not want to have loads of bottles and still use the wrong for the wrong device. So i vape 15% in all of them now. Got 2 MTL Tanks, Billet Box with exocet and the PAL2 pod.
My body told me while playing with the NIC level. To less went kind of nervous. To high got sweating hands and cold feeds. With 8 and depending on how much i vape i am on the upper level of Nic satisfaction.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
One thing to note after a refill is that a wee bit of juice can be hung in the concave shaped top area in the push to fill stem.

At times that drop or two can spread out and end up on the contacts. If that occurs it can cause interupted power to the coil and cause the user to think something is wrong with the device.

When I refill mine I set it top up on an absorbative surface such as a paper towel to soak up any remaining juice on the fill stem. After a few seconds it then goes back into the body and that typically does the trick.

• Agree
Reactions: proax9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread