Newb, first hello, diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col Williams

Jul 26, 2018
Hello Vapers,

I have no idea if this is what the intro meant by "introduce yourself" so anyway.

I'm called Col, I have been a nicotine addict since I was 9 and that's 50 years ago and I say regardless of any problems with vapeing, vaping or vaporising, Thank God for E cigarettes!

It took me 4 years to fully change over and I have been full electronic for a year now.

I was really surprized by the numbers of vapers in this forum, I actually found it whilste looking for information about vaping and diabetes, as my Dr told me yesterday that I am type 2 but my only symptom is high Blood Sugar and as my sugar intake is V low I am looking for the causes, does anyone have a similar situation?
Anyway I'm glad to be part of this forum and look forward to further chats.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Sorry, I can’t help with the diabetes info either, but congrats on quitting!

I have a different sort of health issues, but vaping has made a positive impact on those. I have heard that the vg in juice might metabolize as sugar, but have not seen any science to back that up, and also, how much sugar could a day’s worth of juice even equate to? Not much, is my guess.

There seems to be quite a few member here who have managed to snack a lot less because bakery/candy/fruit flavors satisfy our sweet tooth.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...my only symptom is high Blood Sugar and as my sugar intake is V low I am looking for the causes, does anyone have a similar situation?
We normally don't like to discuss medical or health issues on this forum, as it is a VAPING forum. However, I am a retired physician assistant and RN and will briefly explain about Type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes usually presents itself in childhood or the teens. It occurs when the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin to metabolize sugars and starches. Since the sugars can't be metabolized, they accumulate in the blood and the body's cells starve. Usually is hereditary (family history). Treatment is usually insulin injections.

Type 2 diabetes usually presents in mid to later adulthood. Usually occurs in obesity or when overweight, and with physical inactivity. Due to all the fat cells from the increased weight and body mass, the pancreas is unable to produce enough extra insulin to metabolize sugar and starches like it used to.

Chances are your medical practitioner put you on an exercise and diet program for you to lose the extra weight. Chances are excellent, if you are able to return to your recommended weight, your Type 2 Diabetes will be controlled just by diet/exercise and you won't have to be placed on oral meds or insulin injections. (Also is hereditary)

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Congrats on giving up the cigs.

Someone shared the UK link and here is their info related to e-cigs

E-Cigs and Diabetes - Vaping and Effect on Blood Glucose

I do not have diabetes -- I do have low blood sugar that some think is prediabetes so I have to limit sugar so that I do not experience big time drops. There has been no change in my levels since I started vaping and I usually vape sweet bakery flavors.

I am no doctor but I do know that the risk of diabetes increases as we get older, if overweight, family history and even certain sugar-free products can cause issues with blood sugar.

My brother was overweight and his blood sugar was high. Doc agreed to try to get in line with diet. He gave up bread and regular soda and lost 60 pounds. He substituted sugar-free diet soda. His blood sugar did not really change after losing all that weight. Doc gave an over-my-head explanation that certain sweeteners can cause issues with blood sugar. He gave up the diet soda. On his next blood work his blood sugar is within normal range. Doc worked with him and he now uses stevia with his coffee and his sugar did not spike.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's really individual. Some type 2 folks have reported bakery and other sweet flavors have helped them cut back on sweets, but I think that is more a side effect of vaping.

I don't know a whole lot about this whole vaping and diabetes thing, I suppose it is IN THEORY possible that very sweet juices (with a lot of artificial sweetener) could worsen things but I kind of thought that theory was always a bit like the vaccine theory of autism, not really proven. IDK.

Welcome anyway and if you have concerns I'd say talk to your medical practitioner about it.

Best of luck and congrats and welcome however! :)

Anna

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Type 2 diabetic here. I vape sweet flavors and occasionally add sweeteners. It's had no affect that we know of on my diabetes . I do snack less on sweet items and that's helped my blood sugar but no idea if the vaping itself makes a difference. Good luck and keep on vaping!

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Hello Vapers,

I have no idea if this is what the intro meant by "introduce yourself" so anyway.

I'm called Col, I have been a nicotine addict since I was 9 and that's 50 years ago and I say regardless of any problems with vapeing, vaping or vaporising, Thank God for E cigarettes!

It took me 4 years to fully change over and I have been full electronic for a year now.

I was really surprized by the numbers of vapers in this forum, I actually found it whilste looking for information about vaping and diabetes, as my Dr told me yesterday that I am type 2 but my only symptom is high Blood Sugar and as my sugar intake is V low I am looking for the causes, does anyone have a similar situation?
Anyway I'm glad to be part of this forum and look forward to further chats.
Welcome brother. Greetings from sunny Clearwarer FL. I am still a duel user I smoke 3 - 5 analogs a day and vape. I would increase my nic but it seems that I have a sensivity and can not vape over 6mg. without coughing my head off. Any way I hope you are able to keep your diabeties in check. A close friend lost his feet and his eyes due to the illness. I dont think vaping should be an issue as most sweet vape juice is sweetened with sucrose. An artificial sweetener. So all that being said I hope to kick the stinkies completely soon and again welcome.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Diabetes runs in my family - father's mother, my mom, my sister and younger brother - the last two moved from T2 to T1 (insulin dependent). I'm on the watch list (elevated numbers but under the threshold).

My sister is one who tracks everything she eats and has figured out which foods trigger her sugar levels. She brings charts to her doctor's appointments (sheesh!). It's more than just eating sugar. Carbohydrates convert to sugar and simple carbohydrates can spike more than complex ones. My sister knows if she eats oats in the morning, her sugars spike, but she can eat them in the afternoon and the spike isn't as high and that rice doesn't cause the same spike as pasta. She had to give up her beloved Cheerios and Diet Coke. Everyone is unique and it will help you if you learn what sets your sugar level off. It took a lot of finger sticks to figure out the triggers but it's useful knowledge in the long run.

The doctor may have given you a recommendation for exercise too. It really helps - my sister moved into a 2 level apartment so she was doing more stairs, that alone helped her sugar level drop and she had to adjust her insulin. We have some high level tennis players (T1) who monitor their sugar before and during a tennis match/practice. One guy has had his sugars crash a couple of times. That wasn't fun for him but it was a dramatic example of the impact of exercise.

All the best to you and happy vaping!

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
We normally don't like to discuss medical or health issues on this forum, as it is a VAPING forum. However, I am a retired physician assistant and RN and will briefly explain about Type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes usually presents itself in childhood or the teens. It occurs when the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin to metabolize sugars and starches. Since the sugars can't be metabolized, they accumulate in the blood and the body's cells starve. Usually is hereditary (family history). Treatment is usually insulin injections.

Type 2 diabetes usually presents in mid to later adulthood. Usually occurs in obesity or when overweight, and with physical inactivity. Due to all the fat cells from the increased weight and body mass, the pancreas is unable to produce enough extra insulin to metabolize sugar and starches like it used to.

Chances are your medical practitioner put you on an exercise and diet program for you to lose the extra weight. Chances are excellent, if you are able to return to your recommended weight, your Type 2 Diabetes will be controlled just by diet/exercise and you won't have to be placed on oral meds or insulin injections. (Also is hereditary)

I was diagnosed early 2016. I felt indigestion, went to the emergency room, and I'm glad I did! 11.5 A1C and the meter would just read HI. After a week I was released on metformin and a little insulin. Heat would make me rise uncontrollably, while in the winter the minimum metformin is ok. A1C for the past two years is 5.8 avg.

Vaping won't matter to your diabetes, but your stress levels will. If you are a chain vaper because you're anxious, dial it down a little bit. I try to do things that take my mind away from anxiety. When you're stressed your body responds by releasing more glucose to be ready for anything.

Nevertheless, get all the tests needed, buy a glucose meter and until you're into your patterns, test early in the morning and before and 2 hs after your meals. And seek medical help if you're unsure!

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's really individual. Some type 2 folks have reported bakery and other sweet flavors have helped them cut back on sweets, but I think that is more a side effect of vaping.

I don't know a whole lot about this whole vaping and diabetes thing, I suppose it is IN THEORY possible that very sweet juices (with a lot of artificial sweetener) could worsen things but I kind of thought that theory was always a bit like the vaccine theory of autism, not really proven. IDK.

Welcome anyway and if you have concerns I'd say talk to your medical practitioner about it.

Best of luck and congrats and welcome however! :)

Anna
Vaping bakery makes me want to eat something sweet! I have no restrictions on fruit, can eat up to 4 pieces a day, but yes, fruity flavors can be satisfy your diabetic sweet tooth.

Reactions: stols001

Col Williams

Jul 26, 2018
Welcome brother. Greetings from sunny Clearwarer FL. I am still a duel user I smoke 3 - 5 analogs a day and vape. I would increase my nic but it seems that I have a sensivity and can not vape over 6mg. without coughing my head off. Any way I hope you are able to keep your diabeties in check. A close friend lost his feet and his eyes due to the illness. I dont think vaping should be an issue as most sweet vape juice is sweetened with sucrose. An artificial sweetener. So all that being said I hope to kick the stinkies completely soon and again welcome.

Hi Rig, I also had the coughing problem with vape's, I found that if I aimed the vape nozzle up behind my top front teeth so the vapour ran up and along the roof of my mouth before it went down my throat it stopped the coughing, give it a try or a variation of it, it may help.
Thanks for the welcome. Col

Reactions: stols001

Col Williams

Jul 26, 2018
Sorry, I can’t help with the diabetes info either, but congrats on quitting!

I have a different sort of health issues, but vaping has made a positive impact on those. I have heard that the vg in juice might metabolize as sugar, but have not seen any science to back that up, and also, how much sugar could a day’s worth of juice even equate to? Not much, is my guess.

There seems to be quite a few member here who have managed to snack a lot less because bakery/candy/fruit flavors satisfy our sweet tooth.
Thanx for the welcome Del.Col

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread