Newbie - Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portland, Maine USA
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here. I smoked analogs for 34y. I am 1 week into vaping, should have made this move years ago !!! I have decided that I'm gonna get a provari. The question is should I go with the mini or full size? I have not personaly seen one but can purchase one about 1 hour from where I am at. I want to be able to take this with me, not just a stay at home mod. Im thinking the mini would be easier to travel with. Also what is the best tank to get for travel, as in not leaking and and dependable? Thanks in advance

Geckgo

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Opelousas, LA, USA
just my opinion, but I think you'll get used to the size of the mod quickly regardless of the size you pick. Kanger Pro tanks are supposed to be pretty good, but I don't have mine yet. My vivi-novas haven't leaked on me, maybe just a little tad on the battery button every couple of days or so, but had no problems with it and it's always laying on its side.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The choice between the standard vs mini is always a chalenging one for first time Provari customers. Potential owners should decide how they will most often use their Provari: at home or out-and-about. You can make both versions larger (longer), but you can't make the larger smaller.

The mini is said to be the most versatile. It is shorter and more pocket-friendly. Both the standard (18490 -> 18650) and mini (18350 -> 18490) can use an extender cap available from Provape to use the next larger size battery for more battery time. The mini can also use two Tatroe Provari rings to use the 18650 battery like the standard size.

blue-chrome-ext.jpg provari mini.jpg Provari_vs_Mini.jpg
Standard size with 18650 extension cap. Mini in 18350 mode. Standard with Mini with extension cap.

Most mini Provari owners bring a couple of spare 18350 batteries along with them in protective plastic battery cases in their pocket or purse if they will be away from home for the day. Never keep batteries loose in pockets where they can come into contact with metalic objects such as keys/coins or they can short out & vent hot gas.

Provape strongly recommends using only button-top AW IMR (high drain) batteries for the Provari's.

AW IMR:
18650 (2000mah) - up to 20 hours battery time
18490 (1100mah) - up to 11 hours
18350 ​(700mah) - up to 7 hours
[your useage may vary according to your vaping habits]

awimr18350.jpg aw18650-2000mAh.jpg
AW 18350 IMR/ AW 18650 IMR

Last edited:

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here. I smoked analogs for 34y. I am 1 week into vaping, should have made this move years ago !!! I have decided that I'm gonna get a provari. The question is should I go with the mini or full size? I have not personaly seen one but can purchase one about 1 hour from where I am at. I want to be able to take this with me, not just a stay at home mod. Im thinking the mini would be easier to travel with. Also what is the best tank to get for travel, as in not leaking and and dependable? Thanks in advance

Hi Newfdog, and welcome to ECF.

Congratulations on your decision to buy a Provari, they are supposed to be exceptional. As for which one, that is a different question. My recommendation would be to go and hold/use one if you can and decide which feels better in your hands. Regardless of which one you get, pick up at least one extra battery so that you can continue to vape while the battery is charging.

As for tanks, that is a whole different discussion. Everyone has their own favorites, and it can almost be like a religious discussion when folks start talking about them. What works for some will not work for others. What I will recommend is based on my experiences and is what works best for me.

I would personally recommend a Protank 2 or an iSmoka BCC. These are both bottom coil tanks and will give you a cooler vape. These two tanks have been ideal for my vaping styles and tastes. I have had great luck with coil life in both, and no real problems with leaking or gurgling. I especially like the durability of the Protank 2, it is stainless steel and pyrex, where the iSmoka BCC is aluminum and plastic. I would stay away from the Kanger Unitank, and the EVOD tanks. The Unitank, in my opinion, kills the flavor of the juice and the EVOD because I have had a LOT of problems with them leaking and gurgling.

Lots of folks really seem to like the Innokin iClear 16/30/30S, and if you can believe what you read, these are exceptional tanks. They are top coil tanks, and will provide a warmer vape than a bottom coil. I have not yet had a chance to try one of these, but I will be soon when my new VTR kit arrives. Others prefer the Vivi Novas, but I have read too much about them leaking so have never tried one.

Just remember, vaping is very personal, you have to find what works best for you. Keep that in mind when looking at what others may recommend ...

Enjoy your new setup!

As always ... YMMV!

HTH

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I have not personaly seen one but can purchase one about 1 hour from where I am at...

Is this a vape shop that sells ProVari?

If so, I am sure they can answer all of your questions and show the options. If it is not an authorized dealer, i would suggest buying directly from provape.com instead.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on making a very wise decision.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
IBTankedXL22.jpg IBTanked-MiniProvari.jpg IBTanked-large-small.jpg

I believe most Provari owners eventually end up using cartotanks on their Provari's. Cartotanks use a different wicking system than clearomizers which can offer more flavor and vapor production, are more consistant with zero maintanance other than refilling the tanks with more juice. These will have slight learning curve involved initially, but they are worth it. IBTanked pyrex cartotanks are the most popular: http://www.ibtanked.com/

I also use the Innokin iClear 30 and Kanger Protanks on my Provari's. These are clearomizers, are easy to fill and use, but some flavors will be muted using these.

iClear30.jpg Kanger Protank.jpg

Innokin iClear 30 / Kanger Protank

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

IBTanked cartotank review

Last edited:

Davinna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Central Il, USA

Welcome to ECF and grats on quitting the analogs? (It was implied, but I assumed you stopped smoking a week ago?)

I'm not a provari user, so I can offer no advice there. But, I'm Kanger Protank II user and find them very reliable and never had one leak on me. The mini is nice for travel and if you like to change your juice flavors often. I have one of each and put ejuice flavors I know I like in the "full-size" and flavors I'm trying out in the mini. The Pyrex glass tanks are also a plus since you don't have to worry about your juice flavors cracking them (which is known to happen with certain flavors and plastic tanks).

Good luck in your search!

Newfdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portland, Maine USA
Thanks everyone for the graet response's. It will be purchased from a vape shop, i spoke to the by phone and i am sure they will be very helpful. This will be the starter kit so it will come with the protank 2 and i have another protank in transit.
I and my better half both quit the analogs and already notice the differance. :)

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Hello and Welcome to ECF :)

I made this post for someone else Hope it Helps you.

When all I had was my Full size ext. 18650 battery, it would last me 2 days. I just got my mini plus I am taking hits off of other mods all day long so I really don't know yet.

View attachment 276156 You can see the difference in size here.
View attachment 276149 this is mini with ext cap on 18490 battery.
View attachment 276150 this is with Kir Fanis ext cap, you can see mini is a little bigger but still only takes the 18490.
View attachment 276151 this is with the both ProVari with ext caps.

Now you can get one of these for mini and put a 18650 in it.
extension 2in1 18500/18650 for mini Provari By Kir Fanis - Gr-Modders

So what I am trying to say is you can go Mini and always make it bigger and put all 3 size batteries in it,
but the regular size you can't go smaller.

Hope I helped more then confused :blink:

Newfdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portland, Maine USA
I did it !! Got the full size provari, 2 PT2's, a DCT clero. I went with the full size because when I saw them in person the size difference is really not much. I need to plug the vape shop, Elite Vapor, in Durham NH. The guys there are awesome!!! Alex must have sent an hour or better with me explaining the provari. The tanks ... Filling, cleaning, refilling. Can't say enough about the shop. Will be going back tomorrow to get my better half a mini :)

The Uncle Junk's juice is awesome too. P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread