Newbie and need advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadpoles

Sep 25, 2021
Hi all! Thanks for allowing me in!
I’m a little stuck re. coils,juices ,wattage and the rest! I bought a voopoo drag recently which is great and came with a free bottle of 6mg juice of my choice (blueberry) I’m finding unless I use it at even at 5 watts it’s catching the back of my throat and makes me cough.
I want to give up smoking but finding it easier to light up and smoke than vape.
Any advice you all can give would help.
Thanks!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi @Tadpoles and welcome to ECF :)

I'm assuming this the first time you are trying to vape but correct that if it's not correct. Which atomizer do you have on the Drag? When you inhale, are you pulling vapor into your mouth first and then inhaling it all at once, or are you steadilly inhaling directly into your lungs?

Two thoughts come to mind for me. First, make sure you are priming your coil with juice when you install it. Just drip into it before you put it in, enough so the cotton looks like it's fairly wet. Typically, 6-10 drops does it depending on how much cotton there is in the coil. Then when you install the coil and put juice in the atomizer let it sit upright for at least 5 minutes so the juice can saturate any of the cotton that isn't wet enough yet. If you try vaping with a dry cotton wick you can burn the cotton and then it can taste burnt for a long time and require replacing. A burnt wick can cause you to cough even after you get the wick wet enough.

Second, the nicotine in your juice is the main thing that gives you throat hit, that 'harshness' that people either like or dislike when you inhale. 6 mg is not generally considered too high at up to around 15 watts, but over 15 it can become too much throat hit. The second thing that can affect TH is the amount of propylene glycol in your juice, but most juices these days have at least 50% vegetable glycerine in it and a 50/50 PG/VG mix is not in my opinion harsh. VG reduces TH.

So, if your coil/wick is good (not burnt) and it's wet and you are still coughing, you can try to lower your juice nicotine level. Let us know how it goes for you and don't hesitate to ask more questions :thumb:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hey all how's it going? I am totally new to this community and needed some info. I have a brand new
Kato x UVO Systems - "Hammer V2" 18350 Mechanical Mod and wanted to find out how to sell it?
Firstly, it is apparent you did not read the new members information after signing up.

New Members Information

Secondly, posting "how do I sell XYZ" in another persons introductory thread is not the thing to do. Especially for your very first post!

Everything you need to know can be found in the link above.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I want to give up smoking but finding it easier to light up and smoke than vape.
Any advice you all can give would help.

First, I agree with the info and suggestions that ryedan posted. They may solve your problem.

Also, it's pretty common that people who've been smokers cough when they first start vaping. Vapor isn't the same as smoke from ciggies. It doesn't have the chemicals in it that provide a slight numbing effect. If you think back to when you first started smoking...I bet you coughed a lot. However, because of those chemicals in ciggies...you soon could smoke without coughing.

I'd recommend that you try vaping like most people smoked. Pull the vapor into your mouth, hold it there for a split second or 2, and then inhale it down into your lungs. Or...don't inhale it at all into your lungs. Inhale to your mouth, hold it there for a second or 2, then exhale out your nose and/or mouth. There are quite a few people on ECF who vape that way, including me. In fact, the nicotine in vapor is more readily absorbed by your cheek lining cells, nasal passages, and sinuses....than by the lungs. The nicotine in the smoke from ciggies is the opposite though.

Since I first started vaping I don't inhale vapor to my lungs, and I smoked 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for more than 42 years! It took me 2 months to gradually cut down my cigarettes each day as I vaped more instead and totally switched over to vaping. Some people can do it much faster, others take longer. There's no right or wrong time period for everyone. 99% of the eliquids I vaped for more than 3 years were 6mg. I used maybe, at most, a total of 10mL of 11mg eliquids during those first 2 months. I've still never wanted a cigarette since my last one 7 1/2 years ago.

I'd say give ryedan's suggestions a try, maybe try mine...and give yourself time to get used to vaping. It's definitely well worth it to stick with it! :thumbs:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Hey all how's it going? I am totally new to this community and needed some info. I have a brand new
Kato x UVO Systems - "Hammer V2" 18350 Mechanical Mod and wanted to find out how to sell it?
Hijacking someone else's thread? No cool.

Gregory Glover

Sep 25, 2021
Firstly, it is apparent you did not read the new members information after signing up.

New Members Information

Secondly, posting "how do I sell XYZ" in another persons introductory thread is not the thing to do. Especially for your very first post!

Everything you need to know can be found in the link above.
thank you for reading me my rights big pimpin

Tadpoles

Sep 25, 2021

I'm assuming this the first time you are trying to vape but correct that if it's not correct. Which atomizer do you have on the Drag? When you inhale, are you pulling vapor into your mouth first and then inhaling it all at once, or are you steadilly inhaling directly into your lungs?

Two thoughts come to mind for me. First, make sure you are priming your coil with juice when you install it. Just drip into it before you put it in, enough so the cotton looks like it's fairly wet. Typically, 6-10 drops does it depending on how much cotton there is in the coil. Then when you install the coil and put juice in the atomizer let it sit upright for at least 5 minutes so the juice can saturate any of the cotton that isn't wet enough yet. If you try vaping with a dry cotton wick you can burn the cotton and then it can taste burnt for a long time and require replacing. A burnt wick can cause you to cough even after you get the wick wet enough.

Second, the nicotine in your juice is the main thing that gives you throat hit, that 'harshness' that people either like or dislike when you inhale. 6 mg is not generally considered too high at up to around 15 watts, but over 15 it can become too much throat hit. The second thing that can affect TH is the amount of propylene glycol in your juice, but most juices these days have at least 50% vegetable glycerine in it and a 50/50 PG/VG mix is not in my opinion harsh. VG reduces TH.

So, if your coil/wick is good (not burnt) and it's wet and you are still coughing, you can try to lower your juice nicotine level. Let us know how it goes for you and don't hesitate to ask more questions :thumb:

• Useful
Reactions: smacuser

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
thank you for reading me my rights big pimpin
Did you make time to read the ECF Rules?

Forum Rules

Specifically sections 8a, 9 and 37:

8. Courtesy
a. Members must be polite at all times. When addressing another Forum user, you will be polite.

9. Personal attacks
You can disagree with the subject matter of a post, but never personally attack the poster - “Attack the post, not the poster”. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself: with courtesy.

37. Offenders
Persons who contravene these Rules may be politely asked to desist. Further contraventions will result in sanctions of various kinds, and/or the member may be banned for a period or permanently. The application of such sanctions, or their severity, or whether or not offenders are informed of such sanctions, is entirely at our discretion.

:)

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
Hello Tadpoles. Welcome to the forum.

Vaping made me cough at first. We all are different, but it took me a full day to figure out the inhale, as compared to the cigarette inhalation.

Many of us succeeded in quitting cigarettes through a period of dual use, continuing to smoke while experimenting with vape flavors, equipment, nic strength, pg/vg ratios, the element of "throat hit".

I don't have all the answers that will apply specifically to you. I can only encourage you to keep at it until you get the vape that is right for you, so satisfying that one day you say "I like vaping better, so I'm gonna quit cigarettes". For me, it was about six weeks of continuing cigarettes while experimenting with vaping, but once I decided to take the leap, I quit the cigarettes in one day.

Keep in mind, you're the boss of you.

• Love
Reactions: Tadpoles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread