Newbie DIY needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
OK, I'm using VapingZone's SC flavors (and a couple of regular VZ flavors).

I get great results using one flavor. I get it the right strength, I crock-pot it for a couple of hours to drive off the alcohol, let it bottle steep 1week-1 month, and I get a great vape.

But as soon as I add a second ingredient I get "meh".

Let's say I need 35 drops of a single flavor to get the strength I like. When using 2 ingredients, should I add 35 drops of each or divide the 35 by 2, or use a combination that results in 35 drops total?

Yes, I'm using drops for now. My kitchen scale only does whole grams.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Flyingfox272

Jun 28, 2015
Connecticut
Sounds to me like your flavors aren't marrying up nicely or at least how you would expect. I personally would not double the amount of flavorings used. I terms of percentages I usually stay under 20% flavoring total, wether it be a single flavor or two or more. I think you need to experiment a bit more, here is the thing about flavorings....flavors don't always combine the way you would expect and you may find yourself using a flavoring that may seem like it does not belong in the recipe to achieve your end result.

Tat2man

Jun 26, 2015
Warner Robins Georgia
OK, I'm using VapingZone's SC flavors (and a couple of regular VZ flavors).

I get great results using one flavor. I get it the right strength, I crock-pot it for a couple of hours to drive off the alcohol, let it bottle steep 1week-1 month, and I get a great vape.

But as soon as I add a second ingredient I get "meh".

Let's say I need 35 drops of a single flavor to get the strength I like. When using 2 ingredients, should I add 35 drops of each or divide the 35 by 2, or use a combination that results in 35 drops total?

Yes, I'm using drops for now. My kitchen scale only does whole grams.

Thanks!
-Johntodd
Have you tried to add a small amount of sweetner?

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
Have you tried to add a small amount of sweetner?

I have not. I've heard that is a rookie mistake - not having any sweetner. I didn't want sweet juices, but it seems as though juices need some sweetener or they fall flat.

Is it kind of like how I have reduced my salt intake, but my potatoes still must have a little bit or they are not worth eating? Is that what this is like?

Anywho, I'm thinking of getting a bottle of "Skinny Girl" stevia extract:

Skinnygirl Stevia Extract Liquid Sweetener, 1.68 fl oz - Walmart.com

Read great things about it here at ECF.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
What are the flavors your using?
How much at a time are you making?
Are you making 10ml test samples?
What is your base make up?
What exactly are you trying to make?

As you can see you are not providing enough information to properly help you. The more details you can give us the better we can help. It's OK to give manufactures names and type (Cherry, tobacco, bluberry etc..), where you bought them and the exact amounts your using as well as a complete flavor profile as to what you like to vape. It would also help to post the exact recipe your doing. For example:

I made a 10ml test sample of the following

50PG/50VG/6mg NIC
TFA 5% blue berry
TFA 1% cream
TFA 2% Graham cracker

Then I steeped it for 2 weeks. The blueberry was very strong when I first mixed it and it had a chemical taste but now it has no taste after 2 weeks of steeping. So I added 20% blueberry and now right after mixing all it has is this strong chemical taste I taste no blueberry at all.

As you can see the more infomation you provide the more we can help. You can also read my blogs below for helpful tips. The link is below in my sig line.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBob

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
I am using VapingZone SC and regular C flavors:
Bavarian Cream
Caramel Cream Puff
Cheesecake
Djarum
Five Five Five 555
French Pipe
Honey
Honey Flue Cured Tobacco
Maple
Menthol Ice
Mild Seven
Peanut Butter
Pralines & Cream
Seven Stars
Tab Blended
Virginia Flue Cured Tobacco

I have learned the power of the steep - my single flavors come out great. I like tobaccos, and a minimum 2 week steep makes a dramatic difference.

My "Cooler Breeze" (Menthol Ice only) is my current ADV! Well done for me, but the rest of them ...

I make 5ml test samples, because I ended up with a bunch of 5 mil bottles. IDK how I did that.

An example of what I've tried to make:

70 drop TAB

25 drop Maple

15 drop Pralines and Cream

...and backfill with VG (with NIC) to make a TWO OUNCE bottle.

Smelled so good in the crock pot. Even after a month steeping, it's "meh". Can't taste the TAB, Mape, or the P+C. Just a lot of "meh". Doesn't taste bad, just a bland bottle of "Meh".

Did I mention it was "meh"? ;)

Thanks!
-Johntodd

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
70 drop TAB

25 drop Maple

15 drop Pralines and Cream

...and backfill with VG (with NIC) to make a TWO OUNCE bottle.

Smelled so good in the crock pot. Even after a month steeping, it's "meh". Can't taste the TAB, Mape, or the P+C. Just a lot of "meh". Doesn't taste bad, just a bland bottle of "Meh".

Did I mention it was "meh"? ;)

Thanks!
-Johntodd

That's kind of an odd mix for a tobacco mix but other then the pralines I kinda could see it working if your looking for a kinda sweet and creamy maple tobacco vape but if you leave out the tobacco it would likely make a decent desert vape. I don't measure by drops because it's just to inaccurate. I can't really tell by your calculations using drops if those amounts are correct because depending on the dropper you could be any where from 20 drops per ml to 60 drops per ml depending on the size of the dropper opening. This could be a real issue if any of those flavors are a super concentrate. You should be working with syringes and measuring in percentages using a good e-juice calculator or get a decent scale and measure by weight. I would suggest trying to follow the simple procedure in my blog on mixing and see if that works for you.

Mixing 101, The Basics - A simple walk through on mixing a favorate standard... RY4 | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread