Newbie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
Hi all, I quit smoking nearly 3 weeks ago and went to vaping but for nearly a week now I've had sores on the roof of my mouth (ulcers I think) and raised taste buds leading me to not be able to taste my juice or most foods and I just wondered if anyone here has experienced this when they quit. It's really doing my head in any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope it will just go away.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
Here's a pic of my tongue sorry of its gross.
Hi all, I quit smoking nearly 3 weeks ago and went to vaping but for nearly a week now I've had sores on the roof of my mouth (ulcers I think) and raised taste buds leading me to not be able to taste my juice or most foods and I just wondered if anyone here has experienced this when they quit. It's really doing my head in any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope it will just go away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-05-17-59-22.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-05-17-59-22.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Informative
Reactions: gerrymi

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome Gareth!
IMO, Smoking seems to hide oral problems very well.
Now that you have quit smoking, you will need to go see your dentist.

Perhaps it's related to the juice, the flavor or the device you are using.
Tell us about:
How long you smoked and how many per day?
What brand, flavor, nicotine level is your juice? is it Salt or regular nicotine?
What are you using to vape this liquid? Brand and model. Coil resistance and wattage used please.
How much liquid are you using per day?

Where are you located?

Cheers
I

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
Hi and welcome Gareth!
IMO, Smoking seems to hide oral problems very well.
Now that you have quit smoking, you will need to go see your dentist.

Perhaps it's related to the juice, the flavor or the device you are using.
Tell us about:
How long you smoked and how many per day?
What brand, flavor, nicotine level is your juice? is it Salt or regular nicotine?
What are you using to vape this liquid? Brand and model. Coil resistance and wattage used please.
How much liquid are you using per day?
Where are you located?

Cheers
I
Hi thanks for the reply
Smoked about 20yrs at 25 rollies a day
Brand is dainty's ship bought 3mg nic regular
Using a vaptimo super caper sub ohm
Coil res is 95-120 I'm vaping at 60
Using about 10ml a day and I'm in the u.k

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi thanks for the reply
Smoked about 20yrs at 25 rollies a day
Brand is dainty's ship bought 3mg nic regular
Using a vaptimo super caper sub ohm
Coil res is 95-120 I'm vaping at 60
Using about 10ml a day and I'm in the u.k
That tank is nothing like smoking a rollie, how long are your inhales and how is the tank air flow adjusted?
Are you getting juice or hot liquid on your tongue? (does it "spit"?)

Cheers
I

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Quit vaping and see if it goes away.

Going back to rollies (if you have to) for another week or 2 isn't an "unholy" deed in this case. You already smoked for 20 years.

If it does go away, go back to vaping and see if it happens again. If it does, use common sense to see what you can change in your vaping lineup to see if it goes away again. The first culprit, IMHO, is the liquid. Change the brand.

You may eventually have to resign to the fact that vaping just might not be for you. It's not for everyone. If that's the case, the next step would be to put forth the effort to quit smoking. It is what it is.

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
    Quit vaping and see if it goes away.

Going back to rollies (if you have to) for another week or 2 isn't an "unholy" deed in this case. You already smoked for 20 years.

If it does go away, go back to vaping and see if it happens again. If it does, use common sense to see what you can change in your vaping lineup to see if it goes away again. The first culprit, IMHO, is the liquid. Change the brand.

You may eventually have to resign to the fact that vaping just might not be for you. It's not for everyone. If that's the case, the next step would be to put forth the effort to quit smoking. It is what it is.

Thanks but in no way am I going back to smoking I'll give a week or 2 and see if it clears, it may just be bad technique on my end.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Gareth1984. I'd agree with the idea of ejuice being a possible culprit. A huge pat on the back for you not desiring to go back to smoking, and also for wanting to do the detective work to find the cause (or not the cause) of this issue.

• Agree
    Reactions: Gareth1984
    Is your e juice higher or lower nicotine?
    You know how when you sensed you needed an actual analog cig, nicotine withdrawal.. I used to bite down on my lower lip. Could this be nicotine related? For me I had to go up in nic % then slowly back down. Another thing may be an allergy to the VG/PG or flavorings. Then you can try another flavor profile or change the ratio of your VG/PG. Buy small amounts of juice at first.
    It's really good your hanging in there. Try adding or eliminating until you figure this out. Keep posting and asking members. I can recall back to my first week switching from analogs to vaping

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I suggest trying a different brand of e-liquid.
    Experiment with different pg/vg ratios. You may also be over-sensitive to certain flavors.

Be sure to do good oral hygiene. Brush teeth. Consider getting a special tongue brush, too.

It's pretty well known in the community that vaping can cause dry mouth, especially when you first start vaping. My guess is that is what is causing the inflamation on the roof of your mouth and tongue. There are products available which can help. Increase your fluid intake, chew gum or suck on hard candy to get saliva flowing.
    Biotène® Dry Mouth Oral Rinse
    DM_OralRinse_Small.png

Last edited:

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
    I suggest trying a different brand of e-liquid.

Be sure to do good oral hygiene. Brush teeth. Consider getting a special tongue brush, too.

It's pretty well known in the community that vaping can cause dry mouth, especially when you first start vaping. My guess is that is what is causing the inflamation on the roof of your mouth and tongue. There are products available which can help. Increase your fluid intake, chew gum or suck on hard candy to get saliva flowing.
    Biotène® Dry Mouth Oral Rinse
    DM_OralRinse_Small.png
    Funny you should say that I've been waking up in the night with dry mouth lol been drinking a pint of water through the night, thanks I do keep myself hydrated with at least a litre or more of water through the day + tea and coffee which I thought would be enough.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Funny you should say that I've been waking up in the night with dry mouth lol been drinking a pint of water through the night, thanks I do keep myself hydrated with at least a litre or more of water through the day + tea and coffee which I thought would be enough.
    Tea and coffee, caffeinated soda, and alcohol are mild diuretics that encourage urination and could also contribute to dry mouth and dehydration.

Reactions: Gareth1984

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    A few months back I developed a bad case of mouth ulcers. Never had them before. Pretty sure it had nothing to do with vaping, but vaping probably wasn't helping it to go away. Saw my doctor. Was told they can occur for a number of different reasons. She put me a dose of steroids and a med for shingles and they went away. See your doctor.

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
    Tea and coffee, caffeinated soda, and alcohol are mild diuretics that encourage urination and could also contribute to dry mouth and dehydration.
    I really think this may be the answer I was looking for. I'm a builder so I drink a lot of tea/coffee will cut that out altogether for a week and just drink water/juice and stock up on gum and see what happens

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Taste buds on your tongue are probably growing back. This happened to me when I first quit, and it freaked me out then too, same for the sores. It all settled down after a couple months. I thought the sores were an allergy to PG at the time, but now I'm not sure that was it. I think it was my mouth adjusting to PG, which I had limited contact with prior to vaping. Could have been dehydration, I didn't hydrate well back then.

Gareth1984

Feb 6, 2020
    Thanks to everyone here who has took the time to reply and give me hints but I'm really thinking it's the dry mouth. Even though it doesn't feel like my mouth is dry at first I'm guessing by the time it's dry it's too late. I pee lots too lol from all the tea and coffee so fingers point to that. I'm sure it'll get better I've just dived into vaping thinking "hey this is just the same as smoking" when in reality it takes some tweaking to get used to. Thanks again guys.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread