Newbie Looking Forward to Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Bryant

Apr 17, 2019
Nashua
68 yr old disabled vet. Live in Nashua, NH. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now. I am just now starting to build rta devices and am totally new to it. To be honest I am nervous as heck. I don't want to blow my face off. lol Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new ways to build these rta's.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Building on a RTA isnt too difficult. I have to put my readers on to see what im doing but its not hard to do. Wicking a RTA properly is a bit more tricky. Not enough wick and it leaks, too much wick and it wont pull juice very well which leads to dry or even burnt hits. And might as well prepare for the dreaded dry burnt hit till you get wicking down to an art form. Funny thing about vaping, everything about it is learned by trial and error. Folks here in the forum probably helped with reducing the trial and error bit, but still it is what it is

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Welcome and congratulations! It can be fun indeed to customize every aspect of your vape experience. From your choice of coils either pre-built or self-wound, to your method of wicking and threading, to airflow and wattage, it's all up to you. It feels great to be independent of the typically short life cycles of most products.

Ronald Bryant

Apr 17, 2019
Nashua
Building on a RTA isnt too difficult. I have to put my readers on to see what im doing but its not hard to do. Wicking a RTA properly is a bit more tricky. Not enough wick and it leaks, too much wick and it wont pull juice very well which leads to dry or even burnt hits. And might as well prepare for the dreaded dry burnt hit till you get wicking down to an art form. Funny thing about vaping, everything about it is learned by trial and error. Folks here in the forum probably helped with reducing the trial and error bit, but still it is what it is

Thank You for your advice. I am more worried about safety than I am about dry hits though. Nothing more scary than hearing about a battery exploding if you know what I mean.

Reactions: DeloresRose

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Nothing more scary than hearing about a battery exploding if you know what I mean.
I would have addressed this earlier but I assumed you were tongue-in-cheek. One thing that the scaremongering, sensationalist media doesn't mention is that these explosions always have a cause—neglect and misuse—that they're not random events that can strike anybody. Explosions happen when the cell shorts out because the negative and positive terminals are in a circuit with no resistance, which just doesn't happen in normal use.

A cell explosion also doesn't occur without warning: the cell first overheats which makes the mod uncomfortably hot to the touch, leaks stinky chemicals, and hisses loudly as gases vent.

If you've got a regulated device, a good charger, and take good care of your batteries, storing them in a proper container when outside your device or charger, and replacing them when the wraps start to degrade, then you've mitigated your risk, even if you otherwise don't know what you're doing. So rest assured, and happy vaping!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thank You for your advice. I am more worried about safety than I am about dry hits though. Nothing more scary than hearing about a battery exploding if you know what I mean.

Most mods are regulated and have safety protections that will prevent most accidents. Get a good quality mod that’s VV or TC. Get good batteries from a reliable source, no vape shop or eBay or amazon batteries.

Keep them in a plastic battery case while not in the mod.

Use a good charger, don’t charge in the mod through a usb.

Discard if they become damaged in any way. Keep an eye on the plastic wrapper for any tears.

For the rta, some you have to watch that the coil legs are clipped closely so they can’t touch anything and short, and you need to use steam engine so you know how high the ohms should be. Too high or too low can be a problem.

But there again, a good mod will detect those issues and not fire.

These are just some basics, and others can get more into detail as you require.

Just always, if you’re unsure, ask first.

• Agree
Reactions: Diver9543

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Hi and welcome, @Ronald Bryant! I'm sixty-one and at the edge of the building pool on the verge of nervously dipping my first toe in the water, so I am your sister in trepidation. I'm going the easy route and buying prewound coils to start, but I'm still nervous. I also know that the patient, helpful, and all-round wonderful people here are on hand to guide me as much as they can, and you can be certain of that, too. We'll be okay, I know it.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
68 yr old disabled vet. Live in Nashua, NH. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now. I am just now starting to build rta devices and am totally new to it. To be honest I am nervous as heck. I don't want to blow my face off. lol Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new ways to build these rta's.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Most safety issues are battery related, might like to learn a little about them by reading:
Might like to read:
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Index | E-Cigarette Forum
Best 18650 Battery Explanation!
Vape Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? | Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety
7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome to ecf.
One thing that will help us assist you in the building and vaping on your RTA is to let us know what kind of gear you have. The type of RTA and also the type of MOD you will be using it on. If you have already bought your wire and wicking material, it would also be a good idea to let us know what you have.
I am 65 and a vet (USN retired) and also using RTAs on VW mods. I make my coils out of 26ga SS316L using 6 wraps at about .5Ω. and vape at 20 watts. Happy to help however we can.
We also have an area on here for us more mature folks that are vape related:
Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5
For regular chit-chat that is not vape related:
Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven
Drop on over and say Hi.
Oh, congratulations on your about 8 years of vaping!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread