The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Building RTA Safely

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Ronald Bryant, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ronald Bryant

Ronald Bryant New Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Nashua
    68 yr old disabled vet. Live in Nashua, NH. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now. I am just now starting to build rta devices and am totally new to it. To be honest I am nervous as heck. I don't want to blow my face off. lol Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new ways to build these rta's.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Hi and welcome!

I just started building last year. Steam engine is a must. It’s easy to use, but if you have any questions please ask.

You’ll find YouTube videos helpful too, and there’s probably several for any rta you can find. Coiling is a little different on each, and wicking is too.

It was pretty daunting for me at first, last year. But everyone here is very helpful. Rtas are pretty much all I use now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stormjib

stormjib Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2014
    California
    the most important thing is that no part of your coil, including the legs that you cut, touch anything else in the rta. The best way to tell is to always check your resistance after installing the coil, and then with the chimney on. Slight fluctuation in resistance is normal, but if you get a very different reading when the tank is assembled compared to just the deck, you know there is a problem. always make sure your screws are tight. it's dead easy once you get used to it. wicking varies a lot by tank so i won't try to offer pointers on that. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Philabos

Philabos Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2017
    I also just started a few months back.
    Take your time, the first couple of builds will go slow.
    I use a coil master ohm reader and test the coil after building and again after the tank is fully assembled and filled.. I build to about 1.0 and usually get pretty close.
    I can now wrap a coil in a few minutes.
    But you have to walk before you run.
    The above advice on resources is also a must.
    What RTA are you using?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Youtube taught me to build, the visuals were very helpful. 26g kanthal is the easiest to work with ar first in my experience but ni80 and ss316 26g is good too. Have you considered using prebuilt coils to start out with? It takes some of the stress off and you know beforehand what resistance the coils should be close to. It is much easier than it looks, I was terrified at first as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hello Ronald Bryant, as long as the amount of amps that your coil or coils pull are less than the Constant Discharge Rate of your battery or batteries your good.

You can use an ohms law calculator for this.
    Ohms Law Calculator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Rivanna
    I don't know if it applies, but I have reader glasses with max (3.00) magnification. I also own a jeweler's headset that goes up to 10x, but that puts my eyes extremely close to the RTA. I just use the readers to help with rebuilding. They sit nearby and that is really all that I use them for. Good to have a pair around...even if just putting a thread through a needle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I was scared ....less my first time :lol: I was so sure I was going to blow something up.
    Here's my first coil in all its pitiful glory :oops:

wetdog.jpg
    It vaped like an absolute dream - best vape I'd ever had until then. Plus I felt like a rock star for being able to coil my first RTA :D

Just remember - there are no questions too stupid to ask when building RTAs :thumb:

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    You could always start with an RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomiser), as a little more forgiving and easier to work with. Just dripping liquid onto the coil and in the juice well can be a bit of a pain, but you don't end up with airlocking happening and then you get a poor vape to dry hits.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.