Building RTA Safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Bryant

Apr 17, 2019
Nashua
68 yr old disabled vet. Live in Nashua, NH. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now. I am just now starting to build rta devices and am totally new to it. To be honest I am nervous as heck. I don't want to blow my face off. lol Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new ways to build these rta's.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi and welcome!

I just started building last year. Steam engine is a must. It’s easy to use, but if you have any questions please ask.

You’ll find YouTube videos helpful too, and there’s probably several for any rta you can find. Coiling is a little different on each, and wicking is too.

It was pretty daunting for me at first, last year. But everyone here is very helpful. Rtas are pretty much all I use now.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
the most important thing is that no part of your coil, including the legs that you cut, touch anything else in the rta. The best way to tell is to always check your resistance after installing the coil, and then with the chimney on. Slight fluctuation in resistance is normal, but if you get a very different reading when the tank is assembled compared to just the deck, you know there is a problem. always make sure your screws are tight. it's dead easy once you get used to it. wicking varies a lot by tank so i won't try to offer pointers on that. :)

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I also just started a few months back.
Take your time, the first couple of builds will go slow.
I use a coil master ohm reader and test the coil after building and again after the tank is fully assembled and filled.. I build to about 1.0 and usually get pretty close.
I can now wrap a coil in a few minutes.
But you have to walk before you run.
The above advice on resources is also a must.
What RTA are you using?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Youtube taught me to build, the visuals were very helpful. 26g kanthal is the easiest to work with ar first in my experience but ni80 and ss316 26g is good too. Have you considered using prebuilt coils to start out with? It takes some of the stress off and you know beforehand what resistance the coils should be close to. It is much easier than it looks, I was terrified at first as well.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I don't know if it applies, but I have reader glasses with max (3.00) magnification. I also own a jeweler's headset that goes up to 10x, but that puts my eyes extremely close to the RTA. I just use the readers to help with rebuilding. They sit nearby and that is really all that I use them for. Good to have a pair around...even if just putting a thread through a needle.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I was scared ....less my first time :lol: I was so sure I was going to blow something up.
    Here's my first coil in all its pitiful glory :oops:

wetdog.jpg

It vaped like an absolute dream - best vape I'd ever had until then. Plus I felt like a rock star for being able to coil my first RTA :D

Just remember - there are no questions too stupid to ask when building RTAs :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread