Newbie needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasjax

Nov 28, 2019
Hiya!

I'm all new to vaping and I'm about to buy my very first ecig. I've been smoking normal cigarettes for the past 9 years, and I'm honestly a bit confused about the whole thing. I know I want MTL, so it feels like "the real deal", but from there on, I'm lost.

I've been looking at the Joytech AIO 1500 MaH or the one called "Probox", but I'm not sure if that's a good choice? I don't want anything too expensive to being with, I can always buy something more expensive later on.

Second question, is if I've been smoking 10-20 cigarettes, would I go for 12 or 18mg of nicotine? I know that I won't just want to take one drag and be done, so would it be better to go lower?

I hope someone will take their time to help someone all new to all this :D

Kindest regards

n00bVape

Jul 19, 2019
Netherlands, the
There's so much choice. It gets confusing very fast.
Just my quick suggestion; Geekvape Flint kit
Its small, relatively cheap, has a decent battery and adjustable airflow for a perfect mtl vape.

I would start with 18mg/l and slowly decrease when you feel you need less, instead of the other way around to maximize your succes in quiting tobacco.

Good luck and enjoy a smokefree life! :)

Tasjax

Nov 28, 2019
There's so much choice. It gets confusing very fast.
Just my quick suggestion; Geekvape Flint kit
Its small, relatively cheap, has a decent battery and adjustable airflow for a perfect mtl vape.

I would start with 18mg/l and slowly decrease when you feel you need less, instead of the other way around to maximize your succes in quiting tobacco.

Good luck and enjoy a smokefree life! :)

Thanks for your reply! From a quick google search, I only found that the Geekvape Flint is not available in Denmark :( otherwise I would've taken a closer look at it.

Welcome to ECF! I don't vape mtl so I can't help with what device to get. As far as strength I think that depends on how you vape too. Hopefully some mtl vapers will show up and help.

Thanks! Yeah I'm full of questions. I really enjoy sitting with my cig and taking my time, having multiple drags, so to be able to quit the real smokes, I need that possibility with an ecigarette. Hopefully a clever mtl person will show up with all the right answers! Haha

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I'm not sure about the joytech device as i've been using the same old trusty equipment for years now, but i wouln't recommend them to a beginner either because it involves making your own coils and mechanical mods. Which a beginner definetly should not start with.

That said as for nicotine strength i was smoking 20-25 ciggs a day of the strongest brand we've here in sweden. And started with 24mg which was slightly to much. So i found that 18mg fitted me the most. Over the years i went down to 12mg. However it's a noticeable diffrence between 18 and 12mg imo. 12mg feelt realy to week at first and i was craving.

But this also depends on the device and tank used. And especially the wattage you'll be using.
For me as a MTLer i'm happy with 10-15 watts mostly with a coil at 0.8-1.5 ohms.

I would recommend trying a 18mg juice and a 12mg juice and try where you feel comfortable.
It might sound alot, but we don't absorb as much of the nicotine while vaping vs smoking. So i'd rate 12mg juice as a medium smoker which you sound like, and 18mg as a pack a day smoker. This is if you're going to be using a MTL device.

As with subohm devices you'll recieve much more vapor and also nicotine. So there i would say 6mg would be a pack of a day smoker and 3mg as a medium smoker.

But yea ideally get 2 diffrent strengths that way you could use the stronger one while you've the most cravings, and go with the lesser one whenever you need to relax before bed for example.

The drag and be done, is more about the juul pod system which is up to 50mgs which is already way to much even for the seasoned smoker.
Which is also why they're getting so much flack, and rightly so.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
There are pod systems that you can fill, so not at the mercy of what nic strength is available from the manufacturer, wife has a caliburn and seems to like it. She used the alto as well and liked it. No idea what is available where you are. Then there are thousands of tank/mod systems out there. I still use a sub tank that I've had probably 5 years or more.

Tasjax

Nov 28, 2019
I'm not sure about the joytech device as i've been using the same old trusty equipment for years now, but i wouln't recommend them to a beginner either because it involves making your own coils and mechanical mods. Which a beginner definetly should not start with.

That said as for nicotine strength i was smoking 20-25 ciggs a day of the strongest brand we've here in sweden. And started with 24mg which was slightly to much. So i found that 18mg fitted me the most. Over the years i went down to 12mg. However it's a noticeable diffrence between 18 and 12mg imo. 12mg feelt realy to week at first and i was craving.

But this also depends on the device and tank used. And especially the wattage you'll be using.
For me as a MTLer i'm happy with 10-15 watts mostly with a coil at 0.8-1.5 ohms.

I would recommend trying a 18mg juice and a 12mg juice and try where you feel comfortable.
It might sound alot, but we don't absorb as much of the nicotine while vaping vs smoking. So i'd rate 12mg juice as a medium smoker which you sound like, and 18mg as a pack a day smoker. This is if you're going to be using a MTL device.

As with subohm devices you'll recieve much more vapor and also nicotine. So there i would say 6mg would be a pack of a day smoker and 3mg as a medium smoker.

But yea ideally get 2 diffrent strengths that way you could use the stronger one while you've the most cravings, and go with the lesser one whenever you need to relax before bed for example.

The drag and be done, is more about the juul pod system which is up to 50mgs which is already way to much even for the seasoned smoker.
Which is also why they're getting so much flack, and rightly so.

As far as I read and understood the Joyetech AIO (all in one) has everything you need as a starter, and you wont have to worry about mods and tanks?
Thanks for your answer! Will keep in mind :D

Reactions: stols001

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Welcome to ECF! Congratulations for your decision to put down the stinkie cigs and vape!

I agree with everyone who suggested you start with 18 mg. nicotine juice. It's best to start with something that will keep you from craving nicotine. I started with 12 mg nicotine and it wasn't enough, I was chain vaping and just needed more nic. I increased nic to 16 mg and that was much better, but I was still a little less satisfied than I wanted to be. 18 mg. nicotine was my sweet spot and enabled me to put down the stinkies permanently. It wasn't even hard because my craving for nicotine was completely satisfied. I continued smoking a few cigarettes a day along with vaping, until one day I realized I hadn't had a cig in about a week, and I didn't miss it at all. That's how easy it was for me.

My recommendation for a mod (battery) and atomizer (tank), is the Innokin Coolfire Mini Vape Starter Kit. It's a fantastic product and Direct Vapor sells it at a good price. You'll also need coils. I am linking you to both the kit and the coils at Direct Vapor below. I think you would be most happy with the 1.6 ohm coils.

Innokin CoolFire Mini Vape Starter Kit w/ Zenith D22 Tank

Innokin Zenith Vape Tank Replacement Coils (5-Pack)

The kit comes with the cable you'll need to charge the mod, but you may have to use a wall wart to connect the cable to the outlet.

Good luck to you!!

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
As far as I read and understood the Joyetech AIO (all in one) has everything you need as a starter, and you wont have to worry about mods and tanks?
Thanks for your answer! Will keep in mind :D

Sort of, but you will still need to buy replacable coils.

I checked around and is this the one?

If so it seems like some sort of TC (temperature controlled) device but with no other options. Other more advanced devices we refers to as a "mod"
Reason i think this is a TC battery, is due they're using 0.6 ohm stainless steel coil.
SS (stainless steel) is commonly used with a temperature controlled mod.

Old school tanks/coils used and still use Khantal wire. Due it's compatible with varietly of devices. SS however is not.

That said, if this is the device it seems like a solid beginner device. But i'm not realy experienced with TC MTL due they differ between Khantal coil non TC devices. Also why it's a much lower coil resistance, SS uses much lower resistance. Due the device is feeling the heat of the coil so to speak, to not overload it. And i'm not sure how much i'd trust an AIO device in TC.
But since all the premade coils that's manufactured for it is 0.6 i'll have to guess it's specced to work and only for this. So it's not much to screw up in that sense.

It reminds me of the vision spinner and kanger tanks which is what i started with. Altho this is a more "flashy" variant.

But if you go with this one, you will be buying replacable "coils" in order to keep using it. As within a few uses it'll start to clog up / go old and you'll have to replace it.
How quickly this happens depends on the juice you're using among other things. I'd like to give a deeper explanation but i don't have the time atm.

That said you'll find plenty of information at this forum if you look around alittle. :)
But this AIO thing is a very entry level device that may or may not satisfy you. I've not used it so i can't realy say. Like i said earlier, i'm still stuck with my older equipment that i found was working great for me. But it sure was a journey to get there.

Past 3-4 years a ton of new stuff has come out, that i've not bothered to try so that's why i'm rusty to give an actual advise what to buy currently for a beginner device.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
You mentioned you are Denmark... wish I could help you with that. Many others here will have better advice on ordering from your location. Too bad, I was also going to recommend the Geekvape Filnt (just found a deal today for $7.99) Keep it simple and also get a backup device too. I was pack a day and needed 18 mg at first. MTL should work fine for you. Try to learn about VG/PG ratios of juices (depends on the device/coils you use) The Joyetech AIO is very similar to what I started with (Aspire PockeX) Keep it simple at first... plenty of time to upgrade to other things. You have found a great place to learn... a few of the regulars here will jump in with some links to help you learn. Welcome and good luck!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
SS coils work fine without TC (simple wattage mode) Even my simple PockeX had two coil options... one kanthal one SS (1.2 ohms, 0.6 ohms) One of biggest mistakes newbies make is to go into a vape shop and get talked into a "super duper cloud chuching" device... very often a Smok brand. Be patient... lot's of good advice (and support) from folks here.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
SS coils work fine without TC (simple wattage mode) Even my simple PockeX had two coil options... one kanthal one SS (1.2 ohms, 0.6 ohms) One of biggest mistakes newbies make is to go into a vape shop and get talked into a "super duper cloud chuching" device... very often a Smok brand. Be patient... lot's of good advice (and support) from folks here.

I guess this refers to my post, but as i'm mostly using mechmods, it's realy ill adviced to use SS. Atleast that was what i was learned back then and stuck with. If something changed in that regards i guess i've to relearn some.
Either way it's kind of irrelevant as a newbie should not be using mechs to begin with.
With a regular mod however i'm sure it's fine these days.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I guess this refers to my post, but as i'm mostly using mechmods, it's realy ill adviced to use SS. Atleast that was what i was learned back then and stuck with. If something changed in that regards i guess i've to relearn some.
Either way it's kind of irrelevant as a newbie should not be using mechs to begin with.
With a regular mod however i'm sure it's fine these days.
You can use SS coils with a mech mod.

Tasjax

Nov 28, 2019
I went with the Joyetech ego AIO! I recieved it today, and it's simple enough for me to understand, so that's extremely good haha.
I'm pleased so far! It is kinda unpleasant/unfamiliar taking the drags from it, compared to a normal cigarette, but I think I'll get there. It's 10pm, and I've held back and only smoked 3 real cigarettes, so so far, so good!
Thanks for all the advice. I'll get reading on the forum, and see what I can learn. I do want to save money on liquids and get a better one at some point, so there is... so.. much.. to learn :p

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Hiya!

I'm all new to vaping and I'm about to buy my very first ecig. I've been smoking normal cigarettes for the past 9 years, and I'm honestly a bit confused about the whole thing. I know I want MTL, so it feels like "the real deal", but from there on, I'm lost.

I've been looking at the Joytech AIO 1500 MaH or the one called "Probox", but I'm not sure if that's a good choice? I don't want anything too expensive to being with, I can always buy something more expensive later on.

Second question, is if I've been smoking 10-20 cigarettes, would I go for 12 or 18mg of nicotine? I know that I won't just want to take one drag and be done, so would it be better to go lower?

I hope someone will take their time to help someone all new to all this :D

Kindest regards
Welcome to ecf. Innokin is a company very focused on helping smokers switch to vaping. I'd recommend Endura T18 II.

ENDURA T18II KIT – A Better Vape Experience

Whatever you start with don't be discouraged if you don't get it right first time. Keep trying - it will be worth it. Good luck!

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome to ECF. I can't answer or give a recommendation for a pod system as I'm ignorant as to what is on the market. As far as what nic strength, I would recommend 18mg/ml due to your history with cigarettes.

Here is an area on ECF that should aid you on your search for pod systems:
Vape Pod Systems

Good luck on your vaping journey.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread