Newbie post - clearomizer/ tank pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbiz79

Feb 8, 2013
Hornell, NY
I've been vaping for about 6 months and have tried many clearomizers after a brief stint with blu. Now I am upgrading from a couple of ego style batteries to a vamo and want to purchase a larger style clearomizer tank. I've had awful luck with the kanger MT3 but I'm considering picking up a kanger protank when it comes out. I have had mediocre results from a vivi nova mini and am also considering a full size nova. After watching pbusardo, I'm wondering if I should throw the iclear 30 into the mix. And in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I should try a carto tank at some point. Any thoughts would be welcome! Thanks!!!

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
I've been extremely happy withe the full size viva nova clone called 'aClear variable clearomizer'. There's a few differences to viva nova, including a chromed mouthpiece, & it takes different coils than a viva. There's a few YouTube vids on a DIY rebuild of the coil, looks quite easy, I'll be ordering some wire & wicks shortly. I've got 2 now, wife tried mine, she wanted one too. Got it from GotVapes, there's other shops selling it. How does it compare with the viva nova... No idea, don't own one, I'm happy enough with the aClear that I most likely won't be buying one.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hello Mbiz79 and Welcome to the Forum,

If you've had issues with the mini vn, a larger one won't really be all that different. Recoiling/wicking them does make for fantastic vapes, but not everybody wants to go that route.

The kanger protank does look good, a bottom coil (like your MT3's) you shouldn't experience dry hits but this does happen with bottom coils, sometimes you need to look at how much wick is being used, fluff them or try and remove some threads.
It doesn't necessarily mean your juice is too thick although that can play a role, yet not so much if it's a premix. If you believe the juice is too think a drop or two of water in the tank and a shake should thin it out enough for you to test this out. This way you don't over dilute all your juice, should that not be the problem.

From what I've read Carto Tanks are great, but again they aren't immune to problems. The idea is to understand what and why things are going wrong with any clearo/carto you are using, sometimes it's the simplest of explanations here that get you back to vaping heaven, so you don't need to go out and spend more money on something else that may also fail.

PS: Whichever clearo you choose to buy, always, always, always buy extra heads. Always!;)

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
The guy that started me vaping took up the habit himself, and ended up opening a store. My very first eGo kit came with a two cartotanks & pre-punched 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers. I've tried several different clearomizers since then, and had nothing but problems with any of them. In 4 months of vaping, I've had only one problem with any of my tanks (I'm up to 4 now so I can rotate flavors/nic levels) & that was a cartomizer failure, after nearly a week's worth of use. No leaking, no dry hits, just fill, prime & vape.

snickers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm 8 weeks of vaping only with clearomizers. They're easy, simple to understand, and cheap. BUT the taste is always off. I came close with the iClear16 to getting good taste.

I just switched to carto tanks. GO FOR IT. It's still cheap, easy to understand once you watch a youtube video or two, and produces excellent flavor without constantly making sure you've got enough liguid on the wicks. Filling takes a little longer and if you get sick of juice quick, get 2 tanks at first so you can rotate flavors.

I was turned off from trying because I didn't understand them all that well. But there's really no mystery, trust me. You just have to make sure the cartomizer is well lubricated, put the tank around it, then fill. It's simple.

Ask me any questions. I have a vivi nova too which is nice, but still doesn't taste that good.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
What carto tanks would you recommend?
WELCOME to ECF!

I have several tanks, but if you are just wanting to try them I would recommend IBTanked.com as the price is right, they are readily available and the quality is good. Plus it is a family run business, and OCD and his family are very accommodating, will answer questions and even make customs.

I also love my Phiniacs, but they are a bit more expensive. And Lavatanks work fantastic too, but are hard to get and expensive. The best are rebuildables, but that may be a bit much for you right now.

And as my signature shows, I would not recommend clearos at all. I am too fond of lots of vapor and flavor.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
This is the one I started with, but feel free to shop around.

Tanks : 510 Dual Coil Tank - 3.5ml

I also like the LR dual coil cartomizers (1.5 ohm). Like the guy said when he hooked me up, "they just work".

You can get the same tank for less at Vapor Phoenix. Some vendors call them "DCT," some call them "SCT," it doesn't matter since you can put a dual or a single coil carto in them: 510 SCT-V2 3.5ml Tank

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
One more clarification. The three main complaints of anti-tank people are 1) wasting juice when the cartomizer gets old & needs to be replaced, 2) spending $3 to $5 per carto and 3) don't like that you can't pic up your ecig by the tank or it might separate & make a mess & waste juice. Most of these people are using re-buildable units. They are very cost effective, but more labor intensive. For a quick primer, read this http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rto-tank-what-juice-delivery-attachments.html, paying particular attention to the tank section & watch the video on how to fill a tank. Then decide if you want to save money/have the time to invest in rebuildables, or go to the tank system. I personally can afford the slightly higher cost of the cartotank, and don't have the patience (at least yet) to learn how to rebuild. Your needs may differ, but either way, you'll be happier than with disposable clearos.

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
I've been vapeing for over a year and I have found that the mini vivi nova tank gets me the best flavor/ease of use ratio. The only thing I like better is a nice rebuildable but they are def not for novices
Of all the types I've tried, I've never used the vivi nova. Have you tried a cartotank, and if so, how did it compare? Pluses & minuses of each? I've never seen a side-by-side comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread