Newbie question about "Genesis Style" atomizer tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
If you could get it vertical, I suppose you could use a cotton wick in the DID, but I'd possibly worry about it burning (my only experience with cotton wicks was in the vivi nova where it remained more or less saturated), but honestly, I think the ss mesh is superior to the cotton wick. If you want to wick with cotton, it would be better to get one of the rebuildables with a horizontal wick design that are made for silica wicks, like a penelope or phoenix rba. Even then, I'd still be concerned that those are designed so you don't see the wicks, and with cotton I am always paranoid about it getting dry.

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
Well,after wasting about 2 feet of kanthal on my DiD last night,I might be inclined to try silica wick in mine tonight.

Were you having issues with hot spots, shorts, or both? Did you figure out what the problem was? I've got DIDs coming in the mail soon, and want to be prepared.

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
Well,after wasting about 2 feet of kanthal on my DiD last night,I might be inclined to try silica wick in mine tonight.

The DID was the first wick/coil I wrapped, and my first 4-5 shorted. The problem turned out to be wraps weren't tight enough and the kanthal needed to run directly from the coil to the post. The wrap tightness I achieved by wrapping while the SS Mesh was still on the paperclip and the coil-to-post problem was fixed by putting a 90 degree bend in the kanthal where it left the coil to meet the post.

Thinking about ordering one today :D

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
Here this may help. I just made the image, the idea came from BluSwatch, but I don't have the link to her handdrawn image so I made this real quick

bendcoil.jpg

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
That thing is way too sensible...cant carry it anywhere,it end up F1 all the time :(

And I started experencing F2 and F3 lately...and most coils pop.

Mind you,its one of the 1sts,so I got plenty of experience with it but making new coils every day gets old fast when I have other Genesis that been running the same coils for weeks/months that just need a quick dry burn and toothbrush session to get back to new.

No worries,I dont depend on that thing to vape!

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
Weird, I rolled a 2.4 ohm and once I got it working correctly (Dry burn had all coils red without shorting) it has worked for a couple weeks with only a little buildup needing to be removed once a week.

My only problem with it was it didn't wick enough, but that's because I used 400 ss mesh instead of 325, and my VG was too high for the 400.

Whats F1, F2, and F3 mean?
That thing is way too sensible...cant carry it anywhere,it end up F1 all the time :(

Mind you,its one of the 1sts,so I got plenty of experience with it but making new coils every day gets old fast when I have other Genesis that been running the same coils for weeks/months that just need a quick dry burn and toothbrush session to get back to new.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Basically,all kind of shorts you can get :laugh:
oGP6I.gif

For any perspective buyers of a genesis atomizer, please discount Martin's post as stemming from user error and by no means should you allow it to sway you from getting a DID. You will only experiences shorts with the DID (or any genesis atomizer frankly) if you do an inadequate job at either wrapping your coil or oxidizing your mesh wick. As a user who owns roughly a dozen genesis atomizers, as well as a multitude of other RBAs, I've found the DID to be one of the VERY BEST devices that's currently on the market. Genesis atomizers are definitely best suited for advanced users and those willing to take the time to learn the ins and outs of properly setting them up. For many, that effort pays offs as the results you'll experience regarding flavor, th, and vapor production are truly top notch, but for others (like the above user) it is easy to rationalize a negative experience as stemming from the device, where as the true culprit is an undeveloped skill set. To go back to the original posters question, yes, you CAN use silica in a genesis atomizer (like the DID), though you'd be hindering the devices full potential by doing so. I suggest you start doing research here on the forums and on youtube. Zen and scubabatdan have some excellent videos on coil building and lorderos33 has some great textual guides posted throughout the forums. If after your research, you find that mesh isn't for you (and it's really not for everyone), than there are plenty of excellent sillica wick oriented RBAs out there for you to explore. The GG Odysseus and Penelope are two fantastic choices, but they aren't the easiest devices to come by (especially if you've been banned from the GG subforum :facepalm:).

Last edited:

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Well with the DID's 3.5mm wick hole, you shouldn't have ANY wicking problems at all. I vape pure VG juice (Boba's) with a 400 mesh wick and a 0.85Ω coil in my DID and my only wicking issue is that sometimes it wicks TOO well and I get some mild flooding. Shoot me a pic of your setup if you continue to have problems.
Weird, I rolled a 2.4 ohm and once I got it working correctly (Dry burn had all coils red without shorting) it has worked for a couple weeks with only a little buildup needing to be removed once a week.

My only problem with it was it didn't wick enough, but that's because I used 400 ss mesh instead of 325, and my VG was too high for the 400.

Whats F1, F2, and F3 mean?

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
For any perspective buyers of a genesis atomizer, please discount Martin's post as stemming from user error and by no means should you allow it to sway you from getting a DID. You will only experiences shorts with the DID (or any genesis atomizer frankly) if you do an inadequate job at either wrapping your coil or oxidizing your mesh wick. As a user who owns roughly a dozen genesis atomizers, as well as a multitude of other RBAs, I've found the DID to be one of the VERY BEST devices that's currently on the market. Genesis atomizers are definitely best suited for advanced users and those willing to take the time to learn the ins and outs of properly setting them up. For many, that effort pays offs as the results you'll experience regarding flavor, th, and vapor production are truly top notch, but for others (like the above user) it is easy to rationalize a negative experience as stemming from the device, where as the true culprit is an undeveloped skill set. To go back to the original posters question, yes, you CAN use silica in a genesis atomizer (like the DID), though you'd be hindering the devices full potential by doing so. I suggest you start doing research here on the forums and on youtube. Zen and scubabatdan have some excellent videos on coil building and lorderos33 has some great textual guides posted throughout the forums. If after your research, you find that mesh isn't for you (and it's really not for everyone), than there are plenty of excellent sillica wick oriented RBAs out there for you to explore. The GG Odysseus and Penelope are two fantastic choices, but they aren't the easiest devices to come by (especially if you've been banned from the GG subforum :facepalm:).

thumbsup21.gif

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
oGP6I.gif

+1,000
It really is all up to the user making the coil. I still ordered a DID and clear Kir Fanis window last night :) I was lucky enough to have two friends lend me a ZAP and a DID for me to learn genesis style attys on recently, and once I got the coil wrapping down my shorts stopped happening entirely.

THANK YOU for clearing up silica in DID question, I had asked this before elsewhere too. I like the 400 mesh but it's nice to have options.

Well with the DID's 3.5mm wick hole, you shouldn't have ANY wicking problems at all. I vape pure VG juice (Boba's) with a 400 mesh wick and a 0.85Ω coil in my DID and my only wicking issue is that sometimes it wicks TOO well and I get some mild flooding. Shoot me a pic of your setup if you continue to have problems.
I will take a pic when I get home, brought a tank+carto setup with me today. I am pretty sure the problem is that I rolled the wick on a paperclip like with the zap. I have heard for the DID you are supposed to roll a wider wick to match the hole size but this is unconfirmed for me. So is the wick supposed to be the same diameter? or at least bigger than a paperclip roll?

This GIF is Legen..

Wait for it..

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
... DARY!!!

For the did, a paper clip is probably too thin. Personally, i use a 14 gauge needle, but a 1/16" drill bit will also do the trick

Ok I will have to try that. So you really are not supposed to make the wick the same diameter as the wick hole? Because 1/16 plus a little to account for the width of the mesh ends up to roughly half of the hole diameter.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I probably misspoke when I said a 1/16" bit. You want your wick to sit flush with the wick hole. It should be snug, but not tight in there. Here's an example of my DID wick:

The OD of this wick could have been slightly larger, but this setup worked just as well as I could have hoped.
... DARY!!!

Ok I will have to try that. So you really are not supposed to make the wick the same diameter as the wick hole? Because 1/16 plus a little to account for the width of the mesh ends up to roughly half of the hole diameter.

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
I probably misspoke when I said a 1/16" bit. You want your wick to sit flush with the wick hole. It should be snug, but not tight in there. Here's an example of my DID wick:

The OD of this wick could have been slightly larger, but this setup worked just as well as I could have hoped.
Got it :) That picture is incredibly helpful. I like how you used an extra brass nut on the post, does it affect performance at all?

Congrats on getting a DID Cyclin - great choice. Thus far the DID is my favorite genisis out of all the ones I have owned or now possess. It truly is a great genisis along with a flawless fit and finish.
Thanks :D I am really happy with the purchase. I loved the one I had borrowed, and actually liked it a bit more than I did the more expenive, harder to get ZAP. But that's strictly because the top cap screws on, just feels more sturdy than the o-ring top cap used by the ZAP. ZAP is still an awesome atty tho don't get me wrong, I just felt more comfortable with the DID :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread