newbie question about ohm...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
hi guys, I've been using istick pico for awhile...with 0.30 ohm head... recently i got few 0.18 ohm heads... I did some research on google and it says 0.18 ohm head allows u to vape in higher wattage with better flavor...
I dont really get it.. why lower resistance needs higher power?? I thought lower ohm means I should use lower wattage...and why is it better?? thanks!

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
hi guys, I've been using istick pico for awhile...with 0.30 ohm head... recently i got few 0.18 ohm heads... I did some research on google and it says 0.18 ohm head allows u to vape in higher wattage with better flavor...
I dont really get it.. why lower resistance needs higher power?? I thought lower ohm means I should use lower wattage...and why is it better?? thanks!

Lower ohms higher power goes back to the days where people used mechanical mods (un-regulated), you had to use lower ohms to get more wattage. Now it doesn't really matter since regulated mods are high wattage and can output around 8-9 volts. Just use whatever watt you like.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The Byproduct of Electrical Resistance is Heat.

If a Wire had Zero Resistance, that would be Great for Battery Life, but the Downside is that the wire would Not get Hot when Voltage flowed thru it.

If I Lower the Resistance of a Coil by using a Thicker Wire, applying the Same amount of Power to it as I do to a Coil with a Thinner wire isn't going to Heat the Wire as much. The Thicker wire has More Mass. So a Really Thick Wire would take a Lot of Power to Heat Up. Verses a Very Thin wire.

Same with using a Wire Alloy that conducts Electricity better. I need to apply More Power to it to make it get Hot. Because this Wire Alloy does a Good Job of Conducting Electricity without getting Hot.

All this is just Physics with some Math sprinkled in though. And at the End of the Day the Only thing that Matters is do you like the Hit you get with a given Coil at a given Wattage.

So just do this. Put a New Coil Head in, set the Wattage Low and take some Hits. If you like it, Great. If you Don't, slowly increase the Wattage until you do.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Well I agree that you can use whatever you like but subohm and 1.0+ ohm coils are different no matter what mod you use..
96153d83d8e999b9607e087c8b8e3409.jpg
sister using a 1.8 ohm coil at 13w..
Turning up the power does not add to the quality of the vape, and in fact makes it worse being too hot and eventually burning the wick..1.8 ohm coils run best for her at about 12-13w MTL..
7a5bb72a0d5ddd2b02ea279406757839.jpg
This is me vaping the CloudBeast .15 ohm T8 coil at 125w..(T8 is rated up to a whopping 260w with 120-180w best)
Point is both style of coils have a
specific purpose for all of us who love to vape..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
hi guys, I've been using iStick pico for awhile...with 0.30 ohm head... recently i got few 0.18 ohm heads... I did some research on google and it says 0.18 ohm head allows u to vape in higher wattage with better flavor...
Your .18 ohm head, what coil material?
Makes a difference if your thinking TC vs Power..

Reactions: Eskie

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well I agree that you can use whatever you like but subohm and 1.0+ ohm coils are different no matter what mod you use..
    96153d83d8e999b9607e087c8b8e3409.jpg
    sister using a 1.8 ohm coil at 13w..
    Turning up the power does not add to the quality of the vape, and in fact makes it worse being too hot and eventually burning the wick..1.8 ohm coils run best for her at about 12-13w MTL..
    7a5bb72a0d5ddd2b02ea279406757839.jpg
    This is me vaping the CloudBeast .15 ohm T8 coil at 125w..(T8 is rated up to a whopping 260w with 120-180w best)
    Point is both style of coils have a
    specific purpose for all of us who love to vape..

Yup, she is getting about three hits/drop of liquid while you are using up about three drops of liquid/hit. ;)

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Yup, she is getting about three hits/drop of liquid while you are using up about three drops of liquid/hit. ;)
    Maybe, but the money I save not buying 4 cartons of Marlboro a month anymore buys ALOT of juice..no worries

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Maybe, but the money I save not buying 4 cartons of Marlboro a month anymore buys ALOT of juice..no worries

Agree ... for now.
    However, without legal/congressional intervention, there will soon be an end to the availability of affordable e-liquids to be doing that with.

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Agree ... for now.
    However, without legal/congressional intervention, there will soon be an end to the availability of affordable e-liquids to be doing that with.
    Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...
    81bffb4aa617385f6596d04cc172fa4d.jpg
    6ce6302a39f72bc27bbca85c3f96f433.jpg

I order juice about once every 6wks or so..
    And from my local shop who custom mixes my juice in house..
    I realize tomorrow is not promised so I don't worry about the future much..Vaping got me off tobacco and if I cant get juice or supplies I'll quit altogether..but that's just me I reckon, lol

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Agree ... for now.
    And that's why DIY is so nice. And if I start to get nervous that 15 years of nic won't be enough, I can always get another liter of nic to toss in the freezer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread