Newbie Vaper wants to mix things up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Hello everyone :)

I just got into vaping (last week) and decided the first thing I want to learn is how to mix e-juice. Now I know that I need VG, PG, Nicotine, flavors and I have a few plastic bottles and 4 syringes. However evet I have a few questions:

1. Nicotine - is it best to get 100% VG or PG with Nicotine? I saw that there's also mixes with nicotine, but that seems a bit tricky when it comes to ratio. I'll probably be vaping 60/40 VG/PG in order to get some throat hit. Is it also best to get the highest mg nicotine in order to use less when mixing? I was thinking of getting VG, PG and an additional one but with nicotine.

2. What's the difference between normal VG/PG 100% and Bunkerbase mixes? I saw some being sold on one website.

3. Which flavors would you say are a must have? Any tips here would be appreciated in order to avoid buying the wrong type of product. :)

P.S: If you think I should get some additional mixing equip, please tell me. I'm considering getting some glass measuring tubes as well.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi mate and welcome,
www.inawera.com
I buy PG based nicotine in as high a MG/ML as possible.
PG nic base plus PG based flavours will give about a 20% PG content. 20/80 is as easy as adding VG.
I use THIS: eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator
I mix by weight using a cheap pocket gram scale.
Keep good notes, be as consistent as possible and LABEL everything.

I like Coffee Paradise and the Banan is perfect in a "Runtz" mix with a bit of cream.
From TPA , I buy double RY4 concentrate in 120ml bottles.

Have fun
I

Reactions: Svet

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
Hi mate and welcome,
www.inawera.com
I buy PG based nicotine in as high a MG/ML as possible.
PG nic base plus PG based flavours will give about a 20% PG content. 20/80 is as easy as adding VG.
I use THIS: eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator
I mix by weight using a cheap pocket gram scale.
Keep good notes, be as consistent as possible and LABEL everything.

I like Coffee Paradise and the Banan is perfect in a "Runtz" mix with a bit of cream.
From TPA , I buy double RY4 concentrate in 120ml bottles.

Have fun
I
Thank you, Izan! :)

I was just worried about bumping up the nicotine too much if I am going for a 40/60 ratio with PG that contains nicotine.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I don't tend to mix anything higher than about 30% PG.
If you are buying a PG based nicotine and a litre of VG, 500ml of PG should be enough.

Sometimes, buying small 100ml/120ml bottles for dilutants/base lets you try a few different brands (no need with the chemnovatic products) AND gives you a bunch of nice empties to reuse later with perfected recipes. :2c:

Cheers
I

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
EU regulation concerning e-cigs will have to be implemented by 26May this year by all member states.
Maybe 6 months leeway to sell stock - after that it's pretty much curtains for vaping as we know it.
Nobody really knows how these ill-conceived and half-baked regulations are going to affect us, but hisvape.net for instance got slammed already, had to take their bunkerbase off cuz some over-eager state ministry went ahead already.

Bunkerbase is 100% PG with 48 mg/ml nicotine ( the maximum that can legally sold now - least till TPD2 becomes effective ), filled in tight sealed glass bottles with the airspace left in the bottle replaced by pure nitrogen. If stored properly, it'll last years and years without deteriation in quality. The 'regular' nic-base usually comes in plastic bottles and with air in the ullage space. Means you will have some oxidation in the long run.
So many DIY'ers in the EU been stocking (bunkering) up with that in preparation of vapegeddon :)

VG isn't as 'stable' as PG, so if you planning on stocking, pure PG or a mix with high PG is best.
VG/PG without nicotine should always be available, there's simply too many applications for that to put a lid on it.

Which falvours are a must have ?

Hmm.... that's entirely up to you. Your tastebuds, you palate, your preferences.
Make your own as you see fit :)

Svet

Mar 17, 2016
Berlin
EU regulation concerning e-cigs will have to be implemented by 26May this year by all member states.
Maybe 6 months leeway to sell stock - after that it's pretty much curtains for vaping as we know it.
Nobody really knows how these ill-conceived and half-baked regulations are going to affect us, but hisvape.net for instance got slammed already, had to take their bunkerbase off cuz some over-eager state ministry went ahead already.

Bunkerbase is 100% PG with 48 mg/ml nicotine ( the maximum that can legally sold now - least till TPD2 becomes effective ), filled in tight sealed glass bottles with the airspace left in the bottle replaced by pure nitrogen. If stored properly, it'll last years and years without deteriation in quality. The 'regular' nic-base usually comes in plastic bottles and with air in the ullage space. Means you will have some oxidation in the long run.
So many DIY'ers in the EU been stocking (bunkering) up with that in preparation of vapegeddon :)

VG isn't as 'stable' as PG, so if you planning on stocking, pure PG or a mix with high PG is best.
VG/PG without nicotine should always be available, there's simply too many applications for that to put a lid on it.

Which falvours are a must have ?

Hmm.... that's entirely up to you. Your tastebuds, you palate, your preferences.
Make your own as you see fit :)

Thank you, Steamix! :)

I'll go with the PG with nicotine and buy VG pure. Maybe I should look into thosr bunker-bases if something like that is just around the corner... I'll have to get into rebuildables rather quickly as well. :D

By deterioration do you mean the nicotine becomes weaker? That might not necessarily be a bad thing in my case as long as it doesn't happen too quickly. :)

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
LOL, I was looking for a US based company when I was researching buying a DIY kit. Although if I remember correctly I had to pick my country before placing my order. Honestly I do not remember to be 100% sure. Good Luck and I hope you find as complete a starter kit available to you. If you go to Vape ladies there is a 20% coupon which saved me the shipping!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Svet - To avoid a few common mistakes that some new DIYers make regarding buying flavorings:

1. Don't just order a bunch of individual flavorings simply because you like those flavors in other things, like in candy, desserts, etc. You could end up with a bunch that are your favorite flavors, but find you need additional flavorings to make an actual recipe, or more than 1 recipe anyway!

2. Instead, first find a few not-too-complicated recipes (maybe 3-4) that sound really good to you that you'd definitely like to make. Start a "to buy list" of the flavorings used in those recipes. When you've got that list...see what additional recipes you find that could then also be made using any of those flavorings already on your list. Maybe you'll find another 2-3 or more.

3. Before placing a flavorings order, check to see that on your list you have at least a few different fruits (if you like fruity eliquids), some tobaccos (again only if you like tobaccos), a few of the creams and/or vanillas, and a sweetener or 2. If you have additional ones, too, that's fine.

4. Most places that sell flavorings sell them in a small sample size (usually 6-10mLs), a larger 1-2 oz. (30-60mL) size, a 4-6oz. size, etc., etc. I'd recommend starting off with the sample sizes in your first order for flavorings. Once you find which ones you like the most, and are using in more recipes...then order only those in larger sizes.

I hope the above helps you.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Oh, Svet, I forgot this, too. If you already have some things you need or can use for DIY (like you mentioned in your 1st post)...then most DIYers recommend not buying a Starter Kit that will probably have things in it that you'll pay for, but never use! You can find/buy only what you'll definitely need and save a bunch of money.

There is a variety of different ways people DIY, and the method you choose will help determine some of the supplies you'll need. Some do it by weights of the various liquid components and you'd need to use a scale that measures in very small amounts (G, mgs, etc.). Some measure each liquid component in mL & parts of mLs with syringes, and put it directly into the bottle the finished eliquid will stay in. Others...use beakers, graduated cylinders, flasks, etc., for measuring and combining all components first in one of those, and then moving the mix to the final storage bottle. So...what you should order, to have what you need, but yet not buy what you don't need...will depend upon the above.

I mix by liquid volume, so I always have a good supply of these things on hand:

Pipettes (only for transfer of drops at a time during the 100 drop taste testing I do, not for use with accurate measuring though)

A variety of syringes (1mL, 3mL, 5mL, & 10mL) with Luer Lock blunt needle tips in a variety of gauges

Small tester bottles, jars, etc. (plastic or glass is fine) to do my small test batches in

Variety of bottles for my finished mixes (15mL, 50mL, 120mL, and some 250mL)

Disposable gloves

Some sort of box, organizer, kit, etc. to put everything in to put it away safely when not in use.

I also keep a notepad and pen with my stuff for taking notes while doing test batches, and also some paper towels.

Others will come along I'm sure, who can also give you more guidance based upon their own experiences with DIY. I know I learned a lot from them before ordering anything I'd need, and before I actually started mixing to make my own. One of the best things IMO... is to read, reread, and then bookmark the most important things for later reference as well. I hope you have fun while you're at it, too! :)

Reactions: Izan and Svet

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Might like to read:
DIY Resources
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
You will want to scroll down to Sir2fyablyNutz thread, he lists most of the places you can find recipes.
Re: First DIY Order
Please read for minimum out lay of money to start:
How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?

If you think I should get some additional mixing equip, please tell me. I'm considering getting some glass measuring tubes as well.
If you buy syringes, they can be used in place of droppers or glass measuring tubes.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Thank you all for the helpful tips and links! :)

Time to start reading, got a lot of info to go through before I order anything. :D

You have that right! I did so much reading comparing what one company offered and so forth. The main reason I went with LB was because I feel i will use 99% of what comes in the kit and the amount of VG/PG/Nicotine Bases. Not counting the flavors start off with 1,250 Mls which could allow for a few mistakes when starting out.

Good Luck in your New Adventure! Post you results if your like! Always glad to hear success stories and even failures which can prevent others from making the same mistakes. :thumb: or :nah:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread